Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
They really don't have to, they won't expect to sell more than a few 100,000 units, anyway --- and don't expect this to cost less than $3-400. And unless Samsung brings a tablet with electro-wetting display to market by then all the others will still just be some variation of LCD/LED, so there is no real competition for a device like this. And this device will never competitive with regular tablets in the eyes of those who don't care about e-ink. Let us hope Amazon does something similar, then prices will come down to a reasonable level.
Agree, 95%.
But you're off by an order of magnitude on the sales volume.
At its likely price of US$300+ they'll be lucky to move 100K per year. And that is *if* they get some more government pilots. Without them...
I'm not sure it'll show up much further west than Kiev...

As Harry said, it's not really color eink--they're still using b&W electrophoretic film--and that is why they have saturation problems. The front light should help with contrast but the thing is still going to (literally) pale before much cheaper LCD. Without plastic substrate to let them target the K-6 education market the image quality is going to limit its uses.
Alas.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #17
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I keep waiting for "unbreakable" plastic readers. Pocketbooks was to introduce them two years (or so) ago.
Unbreakable e-readers would be good but waterproof ones would be very good as well, for reading in the bath or at the beach.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #20
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Color eInk? As long as the colors look good, I'm game.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As I explained above, it's not really "colour eInk" at all, and the colours will not look good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #22
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The resolution also seems at least a generation behind. Would a better resolution offset the color limitations?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #23
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
The resolution also seems at least a generation behind. Would a better resolution offset the color limitations?
Actually, the resolution is a generation ahead; the basic monochrome resolution is 1600x1200. It's just the process of creating the color that halves the effective resolution in both directions, like Harry says

I'd love me a 1600x1200 E-ink screen
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #24
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I keep waiting for the color eInk. Then they might be able to pry my keyboard Kindle from my fingers.

Good color. Good contrast. Good black. Good white. Good battery life. Good resolution.

Good Lord!
I only need color and contrast to be as high as my old comic books were in the sixties and seventies, with enough resolution to enjoy them. My bar isn't set very high, if you remember comics from that era.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #25
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As I explained above, it's not really "colour eInk" at all, and the colours will not look good.
That's subjective. The colors may be suitable for some, but not necessarily for you.

Last edited by VaultBoy; 11-22-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
That's subjective. The colors may be suitable for some, but not necessarily for you.
I simply meant that the colours won't look good compared to a colour LCD screen, and that's going to be the comparison that people will inevitably make.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
VaultBoy
Addict

Understandable with that comparison. But, I would be more inclined to think that people who are looking for color eInk will be more in-tune with what they're getting in to, and not necessarily judge it against an LCD.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
Understandable with that comparison. But, I would be more inclined to think that people who are looking for color eInk will be more in-tune with what they're getting in to, and not necessarily judge it against an LCD.
That partly depends on how it's advertised. If they (PocketBook) take a leaf out of Ectaco's book then people will be expecting gloriously bright, saturated colours.

Advert (from http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color/):

Reality:

Click image for larger version

Name:	719Z3q0wDtL.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	96646

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #29
LandSurveyor
infrequent visitor
LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung smartphone, HP Touchpad, searcing for the best e-ink device
Crap. I read the title and thought the unicorn had finally been found. The price would be OK considering the capability, if it delivers on its promise. I think 8 inches would be about minimum for magazine reading, which is really the only reason I would hold out for a color device, anyway.
LandSurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #30
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nice but until the middle of 2013 there is still a lot of time to wait, plus I don't want to go back to a 800 x 600 reader and I just got a new reader not even a month ago so I'll just wait for something HD, fast, front-lit and color.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote