Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
lorenzoens
Edge User

Question EE READER tools (e-ink side) - questions

Hi everybody.

It's the first time I ask questions about EEs eink tools, after I spammed the board with more general questions.

I moslty work on pdfs, and we all know that not all pdfs are equal. But since my troubles come out with every file I use, I suppose my issues have nothing to to with my files.

Questions:

1. in Reader mode, is there a way to have an "UNDO" command like in the Journal?

2. in Reader mode, if I do a "Zoom select" operation or a Fit to width, then activate the "annotate", the zoom goes away, and this sucks bad. (SOLVED, see http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ll=1#post18380 )

3. Note insertion: why the window dedicated to notes editing is so small?! Is there a limit for notes lenght?

Minor question:
4. is the Journal's shape maker cabable of creating more shapes than rhombus, square, rectangle, circle and triangle? I.e. the pentagon comes out as circle.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 04-16-2011 at 05:35 AM. Reason: forgot a question

Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Hi everybody.

It's the first time I ask questions about EEs eink tools, after I spammed the board with more general questions.

I moslty work on pdfs, and we all know that not all pdfs are equal. But since my troubles come out with every file I use, I suppose my issues have nothing to to with my files.

Questions:

1. in Reader mode, is there a way to have an "UNDO" command like in the Journal?

2. in Reader mode, if I do a "Zoom select" operation or a Fit to width, then activate the "annotate", the zoom goes away, and this sucks bad.

3. Note insertion: why the window dedicated to notes editing is so small?! Is there a limit for notes lenght?

Minor question:
4. is the Journal's shape maker cabable of creating more shapes than rhombus, square, rectangle, circle and triangle? I.e. the pentagon comes out as circle.
I don't know if I have all the right answers, but I'll give it a try.

1. By reader mode I assume you mean reading without annotations. You can tap the Info-icon. On the tablet side you can see all the things you have added like notes etc. Tap and hold on an item and you have a choise to edit or remove. In reader mode with annotations you have the undo-option under "edit" like in the Journal.

2. This problem is mentioned by others too. I don't think that there is a solution yet.

3. With Note insertion you see only one line, but if you press "save and edit" you have more space. I don't think its limited. You can see the same bigger box with the Info-icon option mentioned under 1.

4. I don't think so.

Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
lorenzoens
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrel View Post
I don't know if I have all the right answers, but I'll give it a try.

1. By reader mode I assume you mean reading without annotations. You can tap the Info-icon. On the tablet side you can see all the things you have added like notes etc. Tap and hold on an item and you have a choise to edit or remove. In reader mode with annotations you have the undo-option under "edit" like in the Journal.

2. This problem is mentioned by others too. I don't think that there is a solution yet.

3. With Note insertion you see only one line, but if you press "save and edit" you have more space. I don't think its limited. You can see the same bigger box with the Info-icon option mentioned under 1.

4. I don't think so.
1. Ok, thanks.
I meant "Reader mode", "annotate": on. In Journal you have the undo command available on the top of the screen, it's way faster to use than having to click on "Edit"

2. EDIT: I changed my mind

3. Yes, but even in the "Save and edit" the space is quite small. Btw I love that you can write down notew with a real keyboard.

4. Ok, thanks

Last edited by lorenzoens; 04-16-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
aidren
Edge User

Quote:

2. Epic fail I really hope they solve it, it sucks very bad
This is due to a mapping/anchoring issue, when zoom is activated, that they weren't able to resolve. I haven't had time to really play with Ermine yet, but in Dingo, if you choose one zoom level that works the best for reading and annotating, stick with that. It makes it much easier to deal with.

Quote:
3. Yes, but even in the "Save and edit" the space is quite small. Btw I love that you can write down notew with a real keyboard.
I've made some reasonably long notes with this tool and haven't hit any limitations yet.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
fgruber
Edge User

We have been waiting for a fix since the beginning. I bet they wouldn't have had this problem had they just used the standard pdf annotation capabilities. The PDF format support annotations! Just look at repligo or ezpdf. Personnaly from now on I just do all my annotations on ezpdf reader. They are compatible with any pdf reader and they scale

Quote:
1. Ok, thanks.

2. Epic fail I really hope they solve it, it sucks very bad

Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
. The PDF format support annotations! Just look at repligo or ezpdf. Personnaly from now on I just do all my annotations on ezpdf reader. They are compatible with any pdf reader and they scale
This is only available on the LCD side, though, right?

Old 04-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
fgruber
Edge User

that is right.

It is also interesting how repligo and ezpdf handle multicolumn pdfs. You just doble tap in a region and they automatically zoom to the width of the column. Then if you tap on the right side of the screen they automatically move to the beginning of the next column. This is exactly what we need on the eink ereader to handle multicolumn documents. They should have a column mode where the next a previous button should do what the taps do in ezpdf and repligo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
This is only available on the LCD side, though, right?

Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

I also notice that in landscape, when you swipe at the bottom of a page to go to the next page, it takes you to the top of that next page. Even after a year of work on the Reader app, enTourage still doesn't do this simple bit of relocation on page turns...

Old 04-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
aidren
Edge User

These sound like great apps! Have them both now thanks to Boris and fgruber. Can't wait to play, but it will have to wait, I must get back to my world of many boxes.... thanks everyone. I'll check in again in a couple days.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #10
lorenzoens
Edge User

I changed my mind about the "Epic fail"

I'm here to correct my words, I think it's not a real epic fail anymore. Why?
You just have to set the right zoom you're going to use throughout your reading, once you've set it, you can annotate (until you dont change the zoom setting).

But it's completely understandable, even if still not perfect: because if you write underlines alongside the text, and then you perform a zoom-in: how is the ereader supposed to know where to relocate those lines, especially in case you're reading a pdf?? They will have to be splitted, and placed elsewhere = very CPU consuming process to do on every page you annotated, everytime you turn a page and everytime you change your zoom. It would slow down everything.

To make this feature available, there would have to be a built-in space for underlines inside the epub file, so that annotations are not tretaed like an external object from the file

So I changed my idea and I think it's perfectly understandable unless you have a way more powerful cpu /less portable device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
repligo and ezpdf
May I ask you where did you download them?

Last edited by lorenzoens; 04-16-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Dr. T
Edge User

Mediafire seems to have them. Just google "repligo apk" or "ezpdf apk" and they should come up.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
lorenzoens
Edge User

Thanks! Used this to search:

http://www.searchshared.com/mediafire.com/

and found both