Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #16
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the next release of calibre will automatically convert ligatures to normal characters.
Yay! I haven't had this problem with earlier versions, and was thinking of going back from 0.7.x - now I'll just wait patiently.

(Hint) Meanwhile I convert to rtf, open in a text editor and do a search&replace for "l " to "ll" which in my eyes makes the text more readable - I prefer the missing spaces, and a few extra l's instead of missing ones for some reason. Then use that text as base for converting to epub. (I also remove the page headers/footers while editing)
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
the next release of calibre will automatically convert ligatures to normal characters.
Great news. I seem to be downloading new versions of Calibre every few days at the moment - so does this mean we'll have a fix for this by around Wednesday?
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It deepnds on whether the PDF input plugin processes the ligatures correctly or not. In my testing it worked for some PDFs and not for others. So if you're lucky...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Quote:
Hi kovidgoyal, has there been any progress on this? I've been getting lots of books lately with this problem. I've edited a few to repair them, but it is exceedingly tedious and time consuming, requiring many many hours of work. A fix for this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not since my last post, no.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 AM   #21
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Quote:
Not since my last post, no.
Hi kovidgoyal,

Thanks for your reply. Do you have an approximate time frame (a week, a month, a year, never, etc.) when this might happen. The reason I ask is I have been looking for other solutions for this problem and so far your PDF conversion is far superior to any that I have found. Some fix the LL problem but leave the rest of the document in an absolute mess requiring a lot more manual editing.

If you say it will be awhile I'll keep looking, but if not, I don't want to waste any more time.

Please understand I just recently discovered your program and really love it. I don't mean to put any pressure, I just want to know whether to wait or keep looking.

Thanks so much for the great program and your time!
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I don't do ETA's as calibre development is completely free-form, but I wouldn't expect the fix in less than a few months.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #23
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I just discovered this problem, too. I converted a pdf to mobi and the "ll" comes out as a single "l"

I tried converting to rtf but I can see that while some changes can be done, others would be impossible to do with a global search and replace.

What are folks doing, if anything?

Or are you just "mental y" "fil ing" in the gaps?
............................mentally..filling

(seems the forum software removes SPACES between words)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #24
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
Hi kovidgoyal, has there been any progress on this? I've been getting lots of books lately with this problem. I've edited a few to repair them, but it is exceedingly tedious and time consuming, requiring many many hours of work. A fix for this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I just discovered this problem, too. I converted a pdf to mobi and the "ll" comes out as a single "l"

I tried converting to rtf but I can see that while some changes can be done, others would be impossible to do with a global search and replace.
Have either of you tried the checking the Keep Ligatures feature under the Common Options area? This fixes some, but not all, of the "ll" comes out as a single "l" problems.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #25
Kingpool7
Kingpool7 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Have either of you tried the checking the Keep Ligatures feature under the Common Options area? This fixes some, but not all, of the "ll" comes out as a single "l" problems.
I ran to same problem with my latest pdf file and tried out some options. Alas, all those failed. Yes I tried also Keep Ligatures option.

I went simple way and just loaded pdf to my reader and I'm surprised how well Sony actually handles pdf files.

So I have to eat my words, I promised myself that I will only put ePub files to my reader . I still would love to have this feature in Calibre.
Kingpool7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #26
isaachummel
isaachummel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've found that if you convert the pdf to a ps with pdftops and then convert it back to a pdf with ps2pdf the resulting pdf doesn't have the double-l ligature problem.
isaachummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #27
blokefromhull
blokefromhull began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Smile SOLUTION

Hi All

The only solution I've found for this is to open the PDF in Microsoft Word (or a compatible equivalent such as OpenOffice), select all text (press Ctrl + A), change ONLY the FONT to ARIAL, Save the file using SAVE AS and use the DOCX format. Then, load the DOCX file into Calibre and it *should* convert this into any format with no loss of characters or layout. It's worked for me for every format i've tried converting to and my kindle displays perfectly.
blokefromhull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, epub, letter, letter l, ligatures, pdf