Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
nery89
nery89 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question antialias font

is there any option to add antialias to the calibre viewer? in comparison with other e-book reader for pc, calibre seems to have an unreadable pixelated font...!
nery89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Fonts are antialiased in the viewer for me.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
nery89

Unhappy I swear there's piaxelated font!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Fonts are antialiased in the viewer for me.
uhm... maybe I miss something in my settings? By the way I did a screenshot to show the difference I was telling before.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

I'm under win 10, If ou need other info ask! thanks!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-27-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines may be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:15 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can think of no settings that influence anti-aliasing. Are you sure the book you are viewing is not actually a collection of images of text?
Old 01-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
nery89

by the way I could send that file (format epub), maybe something in the code is not standard. here we are (wetransfer link) https://we.tl/ZB1AirCHcd.

Here the image with the adobe ebook reader near calibre reader with the very same book: the font is displayed differently.

Last edited by nery89; 01-29-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: added description + image 600x600
Old 01-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's because of -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased

in the stylesheet of that book. Remove that using the calibre editor and you will be fine. Presumably, Adobe Digital Editions ignores that.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
nery89

thank you! solved
wait... no not solved. removing *{-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased} didn't solved the issue.

BUT, as your answer suggest, I took a look at css in the editor. I changed the @font-face order to have truetype before otf, and it seems to be better, even if not perfect (still pixelated).

-----
new edit: removed font-face reference (and all the font-family) leaving standard font. Now it is all antialiased. I deduce the problem lies in the custom fonts itself.
Thank you for your support!

Last edited by nery89; 02-04-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: slight better english

Tags
antialias, font