Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #2821
EricOwens
EricOwens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I deleted it after running the deinstaller file.
EricOwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #2822
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOwens View Post
I deleted it after running the deinstaller file.
Hrm.... On my K3, they're backed up in linkss/backups...

Did you remove the linkss folder from your computer? If you are on windows, you could try changing your file explorer preference to show hidden files, and look for a .Trash_1001 folder or something like that (when the kindle is plugged in, and you are at E:/ or whatever yhe Kindle mounts as). If that's there the backups could be in there somewhere... Then you'd have to put them back on the rootfs of the kindle(a part not normally seen from the computer)...

Maybe NiLuJe or someone can whip you up a .bin installer to fix all this though...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #2823
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@EricOwens: If this is not a SO device, then you're doing something wrong.

One of the only way to end up with a blank screen with this hack is to tweak the screensavers folder while the framework is running (or to use some severely screwed up files as a potential screensaver).

It doesn't actually touch the original screensavers, so, even if the userstore is toast, a restart & everything's back.

Make sure the uninstall was actually successful, and do a full restart of your Kindle.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #2824
Nodnarb518
Nodnarb518 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
So my K3 updated to 3.4, and I noticed they said they made changes to the fonts. Will I still be able to see them if I have the font jailbreak installed. Also im still running the older 0.6 jailbreak and everything has been fine, no need to update correct?
Nodnarb518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #2825
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb518 View Post
So my K3 updated to 3.4, and I noticed they said they made changes to the fonts. Will I still be able to see them if I have the font jailbreak installed. Also im still running the older 0.6 jailbreak and everything has been fine, no need to update correct?
No, you cannot see the newer fonts if you have fonthack installed. I don't think you need the new jailbreak, unless you are going to be installing newer .bin files that aren't in the whitelist.
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #2826
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Released ScreenSavers 0.33.N, with the same processing tweaks than the K5 port, meaning we get prettier covers in cover mode .

Speaking of the cover mode, if anyone with a DX or DXG could test it, I'd be very glad .
I'm relying on some system settings to get the screen size, and I'm not sure they're actually up to date (they're not on the PW, for example, so I have to detect it myself). Also, ImageMagick spikes at ~75MB, so I'd like to know if that's causing problems on the DX... (It doesn't on my K2, so I'm hopeful, but, still ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-20-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #2827
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Release ScreenSavers 0.33.N, with the same processing tweaks than the K5 port, meaning we get prettier covers in cover mode .

Speaking of the cover mode, if anyone with a DX or DXG could test it, I'd be very glad .
I'm relying on some system settings to get the screen size, and I'm not sure they're actually up to date (they're not on the PW, for example, so I have to detect it myself). Also, ImageMagick spikes at ~75MB, so I'd like to know if that's causing problems on the DX... (It doesn't on my K2, so I'm hopeful, but, still ).
will test this on a DX tonight mate

Quote:
Your Kindle Charge is too low to safely install this update... Recharge it you fool and try again
EDIT: Okay so installed just fine.

Quote:
If you intend to use the cover feature:

It will use the cover of the last book opened as the current screensaver.
You'll need to first install the Python package attached to this post.
Done

Quote:
just drop a blank file named cover in the linkss folder. Restart your Kindle ([HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Restart), and you're done
root@kindle# touch /mnt/us/linkss/cover; restart framework

Done.

Testing now
Blank screen - Doing full restart

Okay. still blank. So I reinstalled the the SS thingy and now it's working. Testing continues.

Moral there? Install Python first numbnut (TBH I thought I already had but meh - no excuse)

I have noted the books appear to need to be opened twice to cache screen. I suspect that this is in fact just the time required to generate the previous image and "twice" is just voodoo. Running some tests now.

Last edited by twobob; 11-20-2012 at 03:29 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #2828
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@twobob: Well, you do need to switch to a book with a cover, the default in cover mode on a fresh install is otherwise indeed a blank screen .

On a sidenote, can you check if the SCREEN_X_RES & SCREEN_Y_RES variables defined in /etc/rc.d/functions actually match the DX? (824x1200).

Thanks!

EDIT: Just saw the latest edit . Yep, it does indeed work much better with Python installed ^^.

Yeah, I suspect it's indeed taking a boatload of time to process on the DX, especially if the resolution is correct... Check the showlog -f output to confirm, it's somewhat verbose .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-20-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #2829
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@twobob: Well, you do need to switch to a book with a cover, the default in cover mode on a fresh install is otherwise indeed a blank screen .

On a sidenote, can you check if the variables SCREEN_X_RES & SCREEN_Y_RES variables defined in /etc/rc.d/functions actually match the DX? (824x1200).

Thanks!

EDIT: Just saw the latest edit . Yep, it does indeed work much better with Python installed ^^.

Yeah, I suspect it's indeed taking a boatload of time to process on the DX, especially if the resolution is correct... Check the showlog -f output to confirm, it's somewhat verbose .
Heh. yeah. I was just editing as I went along. Thought you were offline ^^ !!

cheeky and lazy of me sorry. next time I'll Kate up and answer first ><

hokay. yeah prolly just time. The device has a few squillion titles on it too for extra PAIN!!! : D

will check the showlog -f (I usually use a custom filtered shell version through grep to cut verbosity, why does anyone want to log this crap?, No, I mean a good reason ^______^)

Otherwise. Yeah. Install Python, (And check you actually DID dumass, that's right I'm looking at you mirror!) Install stuff. Touch File. Be awesome. Simple.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #2830
twobob

One question. Does it start generating the Cover - at book load? or exit? (I'll go read the docs)
Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #2831
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
One question. Does it start generating the Cover - at book load? or exit? (I'll go read the docs)
IIRC it is Book load, then takes 10 to 15 seconds depending on your installation and or version...
Old 11-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #2832
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
IIRC it is Book load, then takes 10 to 15 seconds depending on your installation and or version...
Nice one. Yeah it works fine. had a butchers logs seem happy "Nothing to do" etc..

Unsure of exact time but meh. works fine. also pictures seem correct size. just remembering where to cat the video details out on the DXG!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #2833
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@twobob: Yeah, on those devices, it's actually both . On open, on close, and every time you come near the Aa menu... But the earliest is indeed on open . Which is why you see a lot of 'Nothing to do' in the logs, because the easiest thing to hook I found is triggered a fricking lot ^^.

(Which reminds me: can't remember which thread it was, but another thing to add to the list of stuff that go wonky when passing through fsp: inotify watches! ^^)

About the screen size:
Quote:
On a sidenote, can you check if the SCREEN_X_RES & SCREEN_Y_RES variables defined in /etc/rc.d/functions actually match the DX? (824x1200).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-20-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #2834
twobob

2 resses defined. 1200x824 and 800x600

HTH. So yes. avec pommes frites. : D
Old 11-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #2835
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@twobob: Yeah, I just checked on my K2, it's actually set dynamically, so, it should be correct, yeah.

Thanks for confirming that .

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet