Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
Ross Smith
Ross Smith began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air + iPhone 5S
Restoring the old layout

I don't like the new layout with the side panels. How can I get rid of the side panels and restore the book list to the full width of the window?
Ross Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Smith View Post
I don't like the new layout with the side panels. How can I get rid of the side panels and restore the book list to the full width of the window?
To hide the tag browser, cover browser or book details window pane just unclick their icons on the bottom right, next to Jobs.

Update: You might want to check the new video on this page. Scroll down and click on Click to watch the improved User Interface in action. It is well worth the time.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-22-2010 at 03:16 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Same way as with previous releases -press the buttons at bottom right that toggle them on/off. I think the main change is that they now default to on whereas under earlier releases they defaulted to off. When you hit the relevant button to hide a panel a yellow edge will appear on the centre panel to remind you that there is a hidden panel at that edge.

The other change is the wide/narrow setting under Preferences that determines whether the book details panel is at the right/bottom, but if you change that setting you have to exit/restart calibre before it takes effect.

One change I do not necessarily like is that when in 'narrow' mode with the book details at the bottom of the screen the toggle buttons are now underneath the book details rather than alongside it which wastes vertical space which is not so good if you are working on a lower resolution screen. I wound if a request for these buttons to be arranged vertically alongside the whit box used to display Library icons might be looked on favourably?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can open a feature request for it, but I have moved on to other areas of the GUI now, so it's not likely to get done any time soon. Also, the rationale of the narrow layout is to maximize the width available for the book list.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can open a feature request for it, but I have moved on to other areas of the GUI now, so it's not likely to get done any time soon. Also, the rationale of the narrow layout is to maximize the width available for the book list.
OK I will do so.

It matters to me as occasionally I have to run with a 1024x768 resolution screen, and when doing this maximising the use of the full height is as important as using the full width. My suggestion was that the area used to hold the Library icons be narrowed slightly so that the buttons could fit alongside that area. This would not affect the width of any of the panes at all, and would give additional height available.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
But there are going to be more icons in that area in the future (for instance to switch between book list view modes), so they wont fit vertically in the library area
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
Ross Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
To hide the tag browser, cover browser or book details window pane just unclick their icons on the bottom right, next to Jobs.
Thanks. I would never have guessed what those icons were for, there's no tooltips or help or labels or anything.

Quote:
You might want to check the new video on this page. Scroll down and click on Click to watch the improved User Interface in action. It is well worth the time.
The video crashed Safari when I tried to play it. I got it to play on Firefox, but it was no help. The GUI in the video is different to the one on my Calibre; the panels are arranged differently, and he talks about dragging the borders between panels to resize them, which doesn't work. I suppose it was made for an earlier version.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks. I would never have guessed what those icons were for, there's no tooltips or help or labels or anything.

The video crashed Safari when I tried to play it. I got it to play on Firefox, but it was no help. The GUI in the video is different to the one on my Calibre; the panels are arranged differently, and he talks about dragging the borders between panels to resize them, which doesn't work. I suppose it was made for an earlier version.
That screen is the ".7x Wide" option settings view. Works the same, just different placements.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The GUI in the video is different to the one on my Calibre; the panels are arranged differently, and he talks about dragging the borders between panels to resize them, which doesn't work. I suppose it was made for an earlier version.
The GUI is very flexible, the one you see in the video is slightly different but all three sections, when active, should be resizable by dragging the border. The video was made with 0.7.0 but the cover browser was set, in the video, to open in a separate window. Also you have the option between a wide and narrow monitor option. The video shows the narrow monitor setup with the book detail along the bottom.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Ross Smith

Quote:
all three sections, when active, should be resizable by dragging the border.
That doesn't seem to work on the Mac version.