Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
dpentecost
dpentecost began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle for iPhone
Problem with graphics in pdf conversion - Sliced!

Like many folks here, I am new to epub conversion. I thought I would try converting a long, graphics-heavy pdf (made by a friend, so I don't know his process) to epub and see how it went.

While there are formatting issues I will address as I learn more, the main result was that every graphic looked as ife it was seen through a venetian blind - sliced horizontally and then spread vertically. I searched the forum and found nothing. Can anyone (Kovid?) tell me what I need to do? Are the graphics in a format that the conversion does not like? Is there a setting I should check?

Thanks for the help - this software is a tremendous gift to the growing ebooks industry!
dpentecost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
hard to say without access to the pdf in question
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
dpentecost

Thanks Kovid - your reputation for quick response is deserved.

I suspected you'd need a sample to look at, but I thought the symptom might be common.

The pdf in question is very large (~80MB) so I am uploading it to my webserver and will post the link as soon as it is available. Thanks for taking the time.

I was concerned that epub would not be suitable for books with many illustrations, but I have been encouraged by some I have seen recently. I'll be working on this one to learn best practices.

Link in next post.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can just extract a couple of pages form the pdf with malfunctioning images.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
dpentecost

Yes, I'll do that. Here are the first few pages. The book cover is fine. All the internal graphics get the sliced treatment in conversion.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GraphicConversionExcerpt.pdf (6.06 MB, 441 views)
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpentecost View Post
Yes, I'll do that. Here are the first few pages. The book cover is fine. All the internal graphics get the sliced treatment in conversion.
Each image in the pdf that has this trouble is actually not one image in the original document it is many images butted up against each other.

I would open (change epub to zip) the file and check out the css file in it. See if you can eliminate any margins, borders or padding around the images.

Update: I checked out the css and it had added a top and bottom margin to each image. Remove this and you should be fine.

.calibre2 {
display: block;
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 1em
}

Converting the same pdf file to html via Mobipocket Creator didn't produce any margin around the images.

My opinion is until I have a reader large enough to view pdf files full screen as Adobe intended I'm just not going to mess with them.

Good Luck!

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-27-2010 at 04:57 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
dpentecost

Thaks for the diagnosis dwanthny! With your help I will dig a little deeper.