Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Best example of HTML formatting for Kindle???

I've got an ebook file I'd like to format for the Kindle - from a friend - and he and I would love to have an example of the best HTML layout to give it the best appearance on the Kindle, including ToC. Anyone got an example? I've looked over at Amazon's DTP, but I guess I'm not seeing a full layout guide. If there's one there, could someone point out where it is?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't know if anyone has just a layout, but I found Joshua Tallent's "Kindle Formatting: The Complete Guide to Formatting Books for the Amazon Kindle" very helpful. And so was
http://www.robotcomics.net/2009/08/a...-doc-tutorial/
The web site deals with comics, but the info was helpful for a straight text novel, particularly the idea to put the TOC and other info at the back so that the Kindle sample is as large as possible. I had only a little experience with html, and between these 2 sources, I managed Kindle formatting that I can honestly say is better than 99% of what I've bought, whether from big pubs or indies.

I did the html files, then used Mobi Creator to actually make a prc file of my book. Then I put the book on my own Kindle and looked it over, tweaked a few things, redid it, etc., until I had what I wanted. If you don't have a Kindle, you can get Kindle for PC and still see what your book will look like. My understanding is if you upload a prc file to Amazon, nothing is changed, they just make your prc file an azw, so it seemed to me the safest way to make sure my Kindle book looked just the way I wanted.
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenoc View Post
I don't know if anyone has just a layout, but I found Joshua Tallent's "Kindle Formatting: The Complete Guide to Formatting Books for the Amazon Kindle" very helpful. And so was
http://www.robotcomics.net/2009/08/a...-doc-tutorial/
The web site deals with comics, but the info was helpful for a straight text novel, particularly the idea to put the TOC and other info at the back so that the Kindle sample is as large as possible. I had only a little experience with html, and between these 2 sources, I managed Kindle formatting that I can honestly say is better than 99% of what I've bought, whether from big pubs or indies.

I did the html files, then used Mobi Creator to actually make a prc file of my book. Then I put the book on my own Kindle and looked it over, tweaked a few things, redid it, etc., until I had what I wanted. If you don't have a Kindle, you can get Kindle for PC and still see what your book will look like. My understanding is if you upload a prc file to Amazon, nothing is changed, they just make your prc file an azw, so it seemed to me the safest way to make sure my Kindle book looked just the way I wanted.
Well, by the time we're finished, we hope to *market* it through Amazon's DTP program, complete with cover art and ISBN number (got the ISBN number already). As soon as we can, we're going to go to a trade paperback version as well. *IF* it sells well, (better than 100 copies) we're going to do the same thing for the next two in the trilogy.

Derek
Old 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
we hope to *market* it through Amazon's DTP program, complete with cover art and ISBN number
There's no need for an ISBN number in the Kindle Store. Even if you have an ISBN number for your Kindle edition, Amazon ignore it completely.

Of course, if you've bought a large block of ISBNs (100 or 1000) you could assign one to the Kindle edition just in case. But if you've only got bought a block of ten, don't waste one on it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's no need for an ISBN number in the Kindle Store. Even if you have an ISBN number for your Kindle edition, Amazon ignore it completely.

Of course, if you've bought a large block of ISBNs (100 or 1000) you could assign one to the Kindle edition just in case. But if you've only got bought a block of ten, don't waste one on it.
Ah, good idea. Then I can assign it to the TPB version we'll be releasing through ClearSpace. I wonder if FiFo will want an ISBN for an ePub release? Hmmm... Better go ask!

Derek
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Ah, good idea. Then I can assign it to the TPB version we'll be releasing through ClearSpace. I wonder if FiFo will want an ISBN for an ePub release? Hmmm... Better go ask!

Derek
Hey, Derek,

If you're doing an ePub edition as well, then I wouldn't worry about the Kindle version. Focus on the ePub edition and then convert that with kindlegen. Kindlgegen also uses the toc.ncx file in the ePub to make those nice little chapter marks on the bottom scroll bar.

A few notes on the things you need to look out for while creating an ePub that'll convert to kindle/mobi nicely:

- Don't use soft-tabs in the ePub, Mobi doesn't support them, and things render poorly.
- Obviously Kindle doesn't support embedded fonts. So they will be lost.
- Try to avoid Unicode characters, and replace them with their html-entity names instead.
- Make sure to add Cover Page support for Mobi to your OPF properly.

One last thing off the top of my head: last I checked, kindlegen didn't support the file-as= attribute in the <dc:creator> tag of the OPF. So you might have to go back and change:
Code:
<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Lastname, Firstname">Firstname Lastname</dc:creator>
to simply:
Code:
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Lastname, Firstname</dc:creator>
in the OPF, or else the kindle will sort the book by the author's first name.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenoc View Post
... put the TOC and other info at the back so that the Kindle sample is as large as possible ....
That's an excellent idea. I wish all publishers would do that. Well, maybe the ToC should go at the front, but I would definitely put the author's bio, acknowledgements, testimonials, printing history and similar stuff at the back.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Hey, Derek,

If you're doing an ePub edition as well, then I wouldn't worry about the Kindle version. Focus on the ePub edition and then convert that with kindlegen. Kindlgegen also uses the toc.ncx file in the ePub to make those nice little chapter marks on the bottom scroll bar.

A few notes on the things you need to look out for while creating an ePub that'll convert to kindle/mobi nicely:

- Don't use soft-tabs in the ePub, Mobi doesn't support them, and things render poorly.
- Obviously Kindle doesn't support embedded fonts. So they will be lost.
- Try to avoid Unicode characters, and replace them with their html-entity names instead.
- Make sure to add Cover Page support for Mobi to your OPF properly.

One last thing off the top of my head: last I checked, kindlegen didn't support the file-as= attribute in the <dc:creator> tag of the OPF. So you might have to go back and change:
Code:
<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Lastname, Firstname">Firstname Lastname</dc:creator>
to simply:
Code:
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Lastname, Firstname</dc:creator>
in the OPF, or else the kindle will sort the book by the author's first name.
I've got the whole ebook as a .doc file in Atlantis word processor and it exports as ePub. I'll try this method out.

Derek
Old 04-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
That's an excellent idea. I wish all publishers would do that. Well, maybe the ToC should go at the front, but I would definitely put the author's bio, acknowledgements, testimonials, printing history and similar stuff at the back.
Yeah, I tend to agree with that approach as well for samples. I'm still trying to figure out if I can submit a separate 'samples' version to Amazon DTP.

Derek
Old 04-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
HarryT put together a good tutorial on creating books for the Kindle and other devices that support the mobi format.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17914
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Yeah, I tend to agree with that approach as well for samples. I'm still trying to figure out if I can submit a separate 'samples' version to Amazon DTP.

Derek
It depends on the book, of course. For non-fiction, the TOC probably needs to be in the sample so you can have a better idea of what is in there. Or for anthologies.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It depends on the book, of course. For non-fiction, the TOC probably needs to be in the sample so you can have a better idea of what is in there. Or for anthologies.
Novel. But what you said makes sense as I've got an anthology coming up as well - so that one will need a modified ToC included.

Actually, Near Space Press is about to release "Net Assets" with "The Anarchists" (anthology) to come next month and, we hope, "Bargaining Position" by August.

And it appears that I'll have no legal trouble with releasing the Kindle version via Amazon and the ePub via FiFo. Yay!

Derek
Old 02-15-2011, 04:23 AM   #13
MiraSlunicko
MiraSlunicko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I put some tips how to format HTML/CSS for Kindle here:
http://idsystem.cz/kindle/index.htm

Mira
MiraSlunicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #14
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
I've got an ebook file I'd like to format for the Kindle - from a friend - and he and I would love to have an example of the best HTML layout to give it the best appearance on the Kindle, including ToC. Anyone got an example? I've looked over at Amazon's DTP, but I guess I'm not seeing a full layout guide. If there's one there, could someone point out where it is?

Derek
No, Amazon don't provide a layout guide. They do provide some technical advice and detail in their Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines (PDF) - the link to that PDF is on the Kindle Publishing Programs web page, where you'll also find links to download Kindlegen and the Kindle Previewer application - both extremely useful.

I'd also second Ellenoc's recommendation for Joshua Tallent's book "Kindle Formatting" - it's excellent for gaining an understanding of what will and what won't work when it comes to formatting Kindle books, and for advice and tips on how best to handle formatting.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote