Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
slashzero
slashzero began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Broken Screen?

Hello Everyone,

I've been searching the forums to figure out what is wrong with my wife's e-reader. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that matches my situation 100%. I do have an idea that the screen is just broken, and would like some of your opinions.

We've had the e-reader for over a year. It was working fine until last month, when we moved across country, and it came with us in our luggage. We haven't turned it on since before the move. This morning, I tried to turn it on but the screen looks like a broken piece of glass. It literally looks like glass in a picture frame that has been broken. I've tried the many ways of resetting it that have been posted, but the screen will not change. When trying to turn it on, only the bottom half (up to one of the "cracks") blinks black and white, to settle back as it was. I was hoping that maybe it was just a really flat battery. I have it plugged into wall charger, and when I connect to my PC via USB, I can see the books on the device in sony's reader software.

I know the information is limited, but I'm guessing the screen has somehow broken internally. Is that possible? Can the screen be replaced? I've seen a few posts mention sony wants ~$280 to replace a broken screen. At that cost, might as well get a newer model!

Your feedback is appreciated, and I apologize for posting the same old topic again!

Regards!

Last edited by slashzero; 04-07-2010 at 11:46 AM.
slashzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashzero View Post
I know the information is limited, but I'm guessing the screen has somehow broken internally. Is that possible? Can the screen be replaced?
Yes, the screen is made of thin glass behind the eInk part of the screen. This is the bit of the screen that has the electronics controlling each pixel of the screen.

Yes, it can break, and the pattern of breaks looks just like broken glass.

I don't know how much Sony charge to replace the screen. It might be worth contacting them and finding out.

All current ebook reader eInk screens are glass. There are screens with a plastic substrate due out some time this year that should be much more robust.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
slashzero
slashzero began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Thanks pdurrant for the valuable information!

I'll try to contact Sony about repairing the unit. If they can provide an estimate on the cost to repair it, I'll update this post.
slashzero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken