Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Mobile Read - Top 100 Books

Hi, following a post from YGG here, much debate was sparked about the content of a top 100 books of all time type list (i.e. many people thought some books didn't deserve their place, others couldn't understand the inclusion of particular books).

My suggestion is that we build a MobileRead Top 100 through nomination; I am sure there will be many differences to that posted by YGG!

As always, there needs to be some guidelines:
  • Fiction books only please (perhaps we can do a non-fiction one later if this is a success)
  • Please list up to 10 books (any number up to 10 is fine)
  • The order doesn't matter
  • Please try to avoid single genre lists if listing a few books
  • Series of books can be included as a single choice
  • YGG has started a similar thread in the French forums, so English language or books widely available in an English translation only please
  • Can we please try to keep discussion to a minimum

Clearly this is MR, with its independent, intelligent population, and guidelines are meant to be broken, but I would ask that we keep to them as much as we can!

I intend to publish results of this in, say, 3 weeks (i.e. I will collate all the responses and publish a top 100/50/20/10, depending on volume of response). Of course, if people are still actively posting at that time then I'll let it run on longer,

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 09-27-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To start the ball rolling, my initial five are:

The Flashman Series of novels - George MacDonald Fraser
Germinal - Emile Zola
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
Collected Poems - Wilfred Owen
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
how do you want the responses? here or pm

the border trilogy by cormac mccarthy
catch 22
will have to ponder this a bit more

Last edited by dogsballs; 09-27-2009 at 03:37 PM.
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsballs View Post
how do you want the responses? here or pm
I think here would be better, but I have no objections to people sending me a pm if they prefer.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
[..]
  • Fiction books only please (perhaps we can do a non-fiction one later if this is a success)[...]
You probably mean "non-nonfiction books" as you wouldn't exclude poetry or drama, would you ? (I seem to remember English is the language of Sheakspeare & T.S. Eliot...)
Thanks for the thread... I'll answer ASAP

Last edited by YGG-; 09-30-2009 at 02:44 PM.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
[/LIST]You probably mean "non-nonfiction books" as you wouldn't exclude poetry or drama, would you ? (I seem to remember English is the language of Sheakspears & T.S. Eliot...)
Thanks for the thread...
I do indeed YGG - thanks for the clarification!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Arthur C. Clarke 'Childhood's End'
Wilkie Collins 'The Law and the Lady'
Robertson Davies 'The Cornish Trilogy'
Aldous Huxley 'Brave New World'
Michael Moorcock 'Dancers at the End of Time'
Mary Renault 'Alexander Trilogy'
John Steinbeck 'The Grapes of Wrath'
Anthony Trollope 'He Knew He Was Right'
Anne Tyler 'Breathing Lessons'
P. G. Wodehouse 'The Code of the Woosters'
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hrmmm, I haven't read enough "Classics" but I am working on it. I'm sure a few ears from now I'll regret my choices

-1984 by George Orwell
-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
-And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
-Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (only halfway through it but clearly it belongs)
-Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
-To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
-Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
-20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

I can't think of two more right now. Goodreads has a function like this where you can add books to a list and people vote on it, but I don't think you can isolate it so that only members of a particular group can vote on it, plus then not everyone could vote. I can import the final list to the MR GR bookshelf though, that might be cool.

Once it gets voted on, I'll start trying to read all on that list, since clearly the 1001 one is getting nowhere for me
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Our 10 favorite books or what we think are the 10 best books ever written (writing quality) or 10 most important books ever written? Makes a difference

I have only read The Grapes of Wrath and War & Peace once and I think they are two of the best books I've ever read - but they're not favorites --- I think Upton Sinclair's The Jungle and Le Morte D'Arthur are two of the most important books ever written, again - they're not favorites.. heh.. Just trying to be clear before we all list our favorites if that's not what you mean.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-27-2009 at 09:33 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Our 10 favorite books or what we think are the 10 best books ever written (writing quality) or 10 most important books ever written? Makes a difference I haven't read The Grapes of Wrath and War & Peace and once and I think they are two of the best books I've ever read - but they're not favorites
I'd only pick ones you've read. No fun if you haven't read them
Old 09-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'd only pick ones you've read. No fun if you haven't read them
hehehe.. that I assumed was a given I've read those. I didn't mean favorite to equal "read". I mean by favorite - books I'll pick up and read again any old time. I haven't sucked the goodness out of them in one read. Those 4 I listed are incredible books but I've finished with them.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-27-2009 at 09:40 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
hehehe.. that I assumed was a given I've read those. I didn't mean favorite to equal "read". I mean by favorite - books I'll pick up and read again any old time. I haven't sucked the goodness out of them in one read. Those 4 I listed are incredible books but I've finished with them.
Hrmm, I see what you mean. I guess it's really up to you.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Okay heres, my 10 off the top of my head:

The Grapes of Wrath John Steinbeck
Dhalgren - Samueal R. Delaney
Foundation Trilogy - Issac Asimov
Dune - Frank Herbert
Breathing Lessons - Anne Tyler
Lord of the Rings - J R R Tolkien
City - Clifford D. Simak
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein
Prince of Tides - Pat Conroy
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

Sorry, that's Eleven and I can really decide which one to remove....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
The Shadow of the Wind, Zafón, Carlos Ruiz
Quincunx, Palliser, Charles
Shogun: A Novel of Japan, Clavell, James
An Instance of the Fingerpost, Pears, Iain
The Crystal Cave, Stewart, Mary
Ender's Game, Card, Orson Scott
The Rule of Four, Caldwell, Ian
Belinda, Rampling, Anne
The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien, JRR
A Tale Of Two Cities, Dickens, Charles

I think I need to re-read a couple of these, its been a few years and I think they might be 'fresh' again.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #15
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
A completely impossible task! Especially by limiting it to fiction (or non non-fiction)

I will try.

I, Robot - Isaac Asimov (representing all of Asimov's robot stories)
Dangerous Visions - Harlan Ellison (yes, it is an anthology - so, sue me)
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
Without Feathers - Woody Allen
The Birds - Aristophanes
The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert A. Heinlein
The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

THERE! I did it. An Impossible task with questionable results. I desired to include as many "genre"'s as find my attraction, and as a result left far too much unsaid.

I am weeping now.

I hate you Bilbo, for asking me to take on this impossible task.

FY!

Last edited by Donnageddon; 09-28-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote