Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-09-2008, 03:29 AM   #1
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Best Shakespeare collection

What do people feel is the best edition available in ebook form for the complete works of the Bard - either as individual works or as a single collection?

I'm not interested in a hastily thrown-together indigestible mass of Gutenberg files but something well formatted and annotated with a version of the text which has some credibility in the light of recent scholarship.

Argel
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think plays work very well as eBooks; I've certainly never found a satisfactory Shakespeare as an eBook. I still rely on my trust "Arden Shakespeare" series of printed books, of which I have the complete set.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think plays work very well as eBooks; I've certainly never found a satisfactory Shakespeare as an eBook. I still rely on my trust "Arden Shakespeare" series of printed books, of which I have the complete set.
Bugger me, that would have cost a pretty penny. Nice.

On a completely separate subject, where do you live and when are you next going on holiday, preferably to "the continent"?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I didn't buy them all at once, I hasten to add. I've accumulated them over the course of many years. They are, IMHO, the best editions of Shakespeare.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I didn't buy them all at once, I hasten to add. I've accumulated them over the course of many years. They are, IMHO, the best editions of Shakespeare.
Recommendation duly noted and filed for future purchasing reference.

Why can't stupid Arden bring them all out as ebooks? It's totally ridiculous.

(Bear with me, Harry. I said the above to myself previously in regard to Clive James's Cultural Amnesia and within months it was out as an ebook, DRM-free no less. I'm saying the above on the basis that my record might be indicative of a lucky cynicism ).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert