Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
testndtv
testndtv began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS
Sony PRS-505 screen showing black/white spots

I had bought the Sony PRS-505 Reader from some time back..
Recently, it got dropped by me and the screen has almost gone blank (with few black spots present on the screen even when it is switched off)
I would like to add that when I connect it to my PC via USB, I am able to see all contents including being able to transfer ebooks to it.
So, it seems to be working fine internally, but the screen has got damaged.

I would like to add that I live in a country where this device has still not being launched and had ordered it from ebay US.

Could you please help me or if I can get a replacement.

Thank you for all your help in advance..
testndtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Im sorry to say that it seems that you broke the screen of your device

It probably wont help but have you tried resetting the reader to see if that fixes it? Have a look at this thread to see if anything there helps you.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Hello testndtv,

contact Sonys support anyway. Usually they will try to help you even if you are not a US-customer. You description of the damage doesn't necessarily indicate a damaged screen. It could also be a damaged display controller or just a disrupted internal connection.

You can contact sonys support via http://esupport.sony.com ("Contact support" on the left side). Explain what happened and where you live. After some emails with hints and advices they will usually tell you to send the device to their repair center in texas.

You could also try to contact your ebay-seller. Maybe he/she will be kind enough to help you. Your ebay-seller bought the device from Sony (or a reseller) and would be able to request repair without problems. Maybe you can make a deal with him/her...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
testndtv

Broken screen on PRS-505

Thanks for your replies.

I have tried both soft and hard reset without any help..I can access files inside it (both internal and memory card files) via my laptop..

I did contact Sony support and they told if i directly send them to their US Texas center, they will treat the device as "Out of warranty" (even though I bought it in Sep 2008) and will charge around $107 or so..
So they advised to send me via someone I know in the US and told if the transaction (sending/receiving the device) takes place in the US, the charge would be around $29..

I also contacted my eBay seller and he is going to charge around $80..

Now , I have 2 questions;
1. What are the chances of getting a replacement device from Sony ? (my ebay seller was saying that Sony would replace the device if there is no visible physical damage from outside, which is true for me and my device does not show any outside damage)
Also, the device was bought around 8 months back..So is there still a good chance of getting a replacement..

and
2. What is the better option for me ?
a. sending it directly to them (which IMO will be the most expensive)...

b. sending it to my eBay seller (which might cost $80 (his fees) + shipping charges from India to US (approx $50) + custom duty on replacement if I get (around $50 or so) )

c. sending it via a friend who'll handle the sending/receiving on my behalf in the US...This might be the cheapest option for me..only problem being I need to find someone who is going there in the next few weeks..

I am a bit worried if it's going to cost me a lot and still not get any replacement..

Please let me know your opinion...
Old 06-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
1- If theres no sign of abuse sony will most likely replace the device.

2 -
I'd personally pick C but only if the person going is going to stay in the US the time it takes for sony to replace and ship back.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
testndtv

Thanks again...I have a friend going there to the US for around 4 weeks. So, I'll be sending the device with him and he in turn will send it to my eBay seller who'll handle the transaction with Sony.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
another option , get another one for 200 on sale and that way you get NEW ONE. Sounds like a lot of work and hassle to go through. You did drop it and you are in different country , if it was in warranty, and you were in USA you might be covered.

If it was me, I would buy NEW one and get zippered cover for it, I got the armor all cover, and just be more careful.

Maybe someone else here has other options , like replacing the part with pictures of how to do it, or some other fix, but, if not, bite the bullet and have peace of mind. Going through the ebay guy or waiting for friend to come to usa sounds like many things could go wrong. Also, sony might give you replacement but it would not be NEW it would be a refurb, another one that they "fixed" with used battery in it.

p.s. Have your friend bring the prs-505 into this country, tell him to buy you another one on sale, dump that old one and have your friend bring back NEW to you, bypass customs import fees and extra shipping costs, since he left with prs-505 and came back with prs-505.

Last edited by richman; 07-05-2009 at 11:01 AM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote