I don't need to look at the keyboard / (Touch-typist) 51 64.56%
Mostly use speech typing 0 0%
Mostly someone else types for me !!!! 1 1.27%
Any method not on this list ... .. please explain .... 6 7.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #61
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I can touch type, but mostly only when I am not aware that I am actually touch typing.

I know. Doesn't make sense ...
That's exactly my situation. Can't do it for the life of me if I'm thinking about it.

I taught myself to touch-type a bit one summer when I was a kid, using my mother's Depression-era textbook and an old upright Royal, but I've forgotten most of it. I think I type faster now, but I only use 7 or 8 fingers.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #62
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I learned in summer school. I think my Mom wanted me out of the house, and for some reason I didn't go to camp that year. Then I became a lawyer, and for a little while, at my first job, I dictated. Now I'm still a lawyer, but with staff cuts and everyone having computers, we all do our own typing. So it turns out unexpectedly to be one of the most useful things I learned.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #63
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
@Kacir: Thanks for pointing out the analog computer. I completely missed it!

In high school, we could take typing in lieu of phys ed. I took bowling, archery, etc., just anything to let me look cute in shorts while talking to the boys without having to actually do any sort of fitness or sweating. Finally, senior year, I took typing. It was all girls and not nearly as much fun as co-ed slacker PE. It was after lunch, so I would sleepily speed through the assignment, then nap for the rest of the period.

Teacher HATED me! I didn't take it seriously enough, I suppose. When my sister came through her classroom four yrs later, she actually had to convince the teacher that she was a good girl and not a troublemaker like I had been.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #64
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
And it is sitting on a MicroVAX 3300!
At 1988 this was THE computer to dream about. The fanciest machine you could ever dream about. This particular "little" machine has been singlehandedly controlling the operation in a steel factory for more than 10 years as a main control computer.
I remember my whole college was running on a VAX back in 1988/1989. It was definitely big a step up from the 8088s I'd been using in High School computer class!
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #65
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I can touch type between 50-60 wpm with surprisingly few errors. I do however lean more and more on the FireFox spell checker addon!

I really wanted to take computer science back high school in 1986 but it was only a 1/2 yr class, so I took typing for the first 1/2. It turned out to be a good thing, for some reason knowing where the keys are came in handy when typing in the code for computer science.

I use to have to type in job logs for the techs. They would dictate to me and I would type in the words while looking right at them, usually somewhere to the left of my desk. It use to freak them out when my typed words actually matched what they had said.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #66
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
How you DARE!

Monitor!
WHEELS!?!?!?

It is a *terminal*. A legendary VT420 from Digital Equipment Corporation, no less!
Digital Equipment Corporation was manufacturer of computers such as PDP or VAX, see Accomplishments.

And it is sitting on a MicroVAX 3300!
At 1988 this was THE computer to dream about. The fanciest machine you could ever dream about. This particular "little" machine has been singlehandedly controlling the operation in a steel factory for more than 10 years as a main control computer.

And please notice the logarithnic ruler (in English called properly the slide rule) cassualy sitting on the top. I can still use that analog computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I remember my whole college was running on a VAX back in 1988/1989. It was definitely big a step up from the 8088s I'd been using in High School computer class!
This is going to date me, but my first job was on a PDP-11, programming in BASIC Plus, if I recall correctly. A program couldn't be larger than 16K. This is where I acquired a minimalistic code technique that served me well in all future jobs.

WDE.

*note* I learned to program on punched cards too.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #67
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Punched cards were the only way to program when I was at college in early 70's, and that in Fortran.
The computer was locked away in a large room and the programs took a week to return, often for corrections (and then a further week). I'm surprised anyone got any sensible programming training, I know I didn't......

It's interesting looking at the results of the poll as to how many can touch type.

At work we went from pen/pencil/paper (we had trained telegraphists to send documents out via teleprinter) to wordprocessors literally overnight, without training in typing skills. We were scientists, it was deemed not necessary.

In 25 years, and many dozens of colleagues later, I can recall only one who could touchtype correctly, and that was in the last 5 years. Many remained one/two finger, and always looking at the keyboard.

Interestingly speed was not necessarily compromised by the use of "only" two fingers .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #68
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I don't know if I could go back to Hunt-and-Peck typing. It's become so natural now not to have to look at the keyboard, that I couldn't imagine it not being that way.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #69
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Hunt-and-Peck" ... I like that....

Interestingly the longer we spent at work typing by the Hunt and Peck method, the harder it was to learn touch-type, subsequently none of us did...
Old 03-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #70
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Hey, Geoff, I learned my touch typing in high school on a manual typewriter. The school had one electric typewriter (for the advanced secretarial students to try). My computer class in college was on a IBM 1620 that occupied an entire room, was programed with punch cards and lacked a Crt.
I still touch type (on the computer), but it's thumbs for my Touch.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #71
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
We were 'forced' to learn the home keys and touch typing in high school. Hated it at first, but now that I look back, it was like learning the multiplication tables......

Once you memorize everything, it becomes second nature.

Quick.........whats 7x6?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #72
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
We were 'forced' to learn the home keys and touch typing in high school. Hated it at first, but now that I look back, it was like learning the multiplication tables......

Once you memorize everything, it becomes second nature.

Quick.........whats 7x6?

Typing at school was never on the syllabus that I recall.

(can't answer don't have my slide rule handy.......
As a slight aside, and seeing you have brought up the subject. My lady tutors (mainly) schhol age kids in mathematics, and has got tired of the number who cannot work out what 100 divided by 10 is, without a calculator...and the number who don't know fractions !!!!!)
Old 03-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #73
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Typing was mandatory in my high school for both boys and girls, but it was only a quarter, not a semester class. We were to learn touch typing, and most of the typewriters had blank keys. I had started at my Dad's law office fairly young typing up documents so my bad habits were already well ingrained. I learned early on to memorize a few sentences at a time and then type them out. That kept my speeds up. Later when I went into the Army I pretended I knew absolutely nothing about typewriters, and when actually set in front of one I displayed a horrendous hunt and peck and "where was that key again?" method. It was quite common at the time to take any girls who could type and make them clerks no matter what their occupational specialty. I wasn't having any of that!

Chat and IM have finally turned me into a touch typist. I've never timed myself, but I can pretty much keep up with someone speaking at a just slower than normal rate of speech.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #74
arit
Cybook Warrior
arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia E65, HTC Universal, Cybook G3
I learned 10 finger touch typing in school, but nowadays I mostly use my own 6-9 finger touch typing style with looking at the keyboard on demand. It all depends on the situation, while I can simply touch type this text I have to look more often at the keyboard when I'm copying a text. I suppose it is due peripheral vision when I am looking at the monitor...
A no go for touch typing are numbers(except on numpads, which sometimes makes me take a few tries using telephones and atm machines ) and special characters, go to hell brackets!
arit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #75
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I also prefer the little keyboards many people whinge about.
I prefer the natural keyboards, which are, sadly, not available that much anymore...

And why is it called 10-finger typing? I learned you should only use one thumb for the space bar. So, technically, I type with 8 fingers and one thumb...

(my space bar looks funny, one side is all glossy, the other in original state...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote