Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2017, 06:06 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
There is a twisted logic to your thinking that I can't help but.....admire.

Sometimes we have to be a bit twisted to get to the truth of the matter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #17
romanlryji
romanlryji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle DX, Onyx Boox Note
Angry "Kobo" means "never"

- an awful brown screen when the backlight turned off though Kindle DX is white (not to mention Kindle Voyage);
- an extremely-low-contrast screen without any sign of black though every Kindle even the oldest one has it. But Kobo has only mid-brown. Moreover, the brighter the backlight, the lower the screen contrast;
- a fuzzy glowing surface that disperses both its backlight and ambient so your eyes start tearing in a couple of minutes though it is comfortable to read from Kindle Voyage for hours (not to mention Kindle DX);
- a terrible touchscreen that fires when it wants itself to and where it wants itself to;
- a weak battery that is barely enough for twenty hours though Kindle Voyage with the same run mode works for a week.

So I have a new word in my personal vocabulary. Now "Kobo" means "never". And when anybody asks me whether I go to Zambia, I say "Kobo".

Last edited by romanlryji; 03-14-2017 at 07:37 AM.
romanlryji is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just remember, the Kindle Paperwhites, Voyage, and Oasis all has screen issues and many people sent them back to try to get a good screen.

Not many people are complaining about the screen in this thread. So yes, there can be some with screens not wonderful, but most have good screens going by the posts on MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #19
romanlryji
romanlryji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle DX, Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not many people are complaining about the screen in this thread.
Maybe they have nothing to compare.
romanlryji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #20
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
My Aura One screen is really nice using the night setting. I actually use it 100% of the time because I like the slightly paper-y look I can get. I dont have any of these blobs people are talking about - I have the brightness low myself but I triedupping it and it still looks fine. There is a slight variation at the base ofthe screen where the lights are. I think obviously I was lucky or other people are unlucky. And my friend has a kindle voyager which I have taken the time to compare and I definitely prefer the Aura1 (I would use Kobo anyway for other reasons).
Also the latest firmware upgrades including series sorting have made me very happy.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #21
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Some people have had battery drain issues, where the reader isn't holding its charge while asleep. If you need to utilize the full battery capacity in between charges, over several reading sessions, this could be a significant disadvantage to buying this ereader at this point in time.
This was a firmware issue Kobo already adressed and solved with their October 2016 update! Please try not to spread wrong information.

ETA What is right though is the battery is smaller as in their other device to keep the KA1 light despite its size.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #22
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
I really love my KA1 (my previous ereader was a Kobo Glo).
Screen is perfect for me. I'm using the auto brightness for reading on the evening.

Compare to my 6 inch, the KA1 is heavier, especially if you hold it with one hand for a long time.

Could be interresting for you to look at the H20 that provides and intermediate size.
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanlryji View Post
- an awful brown screen when the backlight turned off though Kindle DX is white (not to mention Kindle Voyage);
- an extremely-low-contrast screen without any sign of black though every Kindle even the oldest one has it. But Kobo has only mid-brown. Moreover, the brighter the backlight, the lower the screen contrast;
Interesting claim. Oddly, a Macbeth densitometer does not agree with you as to either the background or lack of blacks. Considering that eInk makes the screens for both Amazon and Kobo, your claim is just a touch hard to believe.

Quote:
- a fuzzy glowing surface that disperses both its backlight and ambient so your eyes start tearing in a couple of minutes though it is comfortable to read from Kindle Voyage for hours (not to mention Kindle DX);
Another interesting claim. Having compared both Kindle and Kobo ereaders, there are issues with both but overall, the devices I've seen seem to indicate that Kobo screens tend to have slightly better illumination quality. As for the Kindle DX with it's antique screen technology and low DPI? Comparing it's 150DPI to the Aura One's 300 DPI? Comparing it's 10:1 contrast ratio to the Aura One's 15:1 contrast ratio? Compare the Kindle DX's frontlight -- ooops, can't do that since it doesn't have that capability. As for the Voyage? I seem to remember comments like "I went through 4 units and settled for the one with the best screen".

BTW, you do realize that eInk displays are frontlit not backlit?

Quote:
- a terrible touchscreen that fires when it wants itself to and where it wants itself to;
I prefer the IR touch screen devices but overall, the Aura and Aura One capacitive touch screens work well for me.

Quote:
- a weak battery that is barely enough for twenty hours though Kindle Voyage with the same run mode works for a week.
This I have to agree with you to an extent. I find my Aura One gives me slightly better than the 30 hours advertised from full charge to the 10% "charge your ereader now" popup with WiFi on and frontlight at 19%. Assuming I read 4 hours per day, this gives me over a full week of reading. If your Kindle Voyage is only giving you a week with a smaller screen, perhaps you should consider an different ereader given the number of complaints a while back that the Voyage was not giving it's rated 21 hours of reading time especially if you had the frontlight over 10 and WiFi on.

Quote:
So I have a new word in my personal vocabulary. Now "Kobo" means "never". And when anybody asks me whether I go to Zambia, I say "Kobo".
In the meantime, while you continue to dream of a Kindle DX with a Carta screen, pull one of the other ones -- it's got bells... Really! It does!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #24
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbus80 View Post
Holly sh*t, guys, you've given to me very good reasons to wait for a newer and hopefully​ more polished version of this e-reader. I don't like 6-inches​ e-readers because I have lots of .pdf files I would like to read on the e-reader (mostly very detailed schemes with tiny fonts), but surely I would be unsatisfied if it is sluggish.
There are workarounds to improve PDF performance. If your PDF matches the screen size and does not need zooming, the Aura One will work fairly well out of the box (although Kobo doesn't support text reflow). Pre-processing large PDFs on your PC by cropping them improves the Aura One's perfomance performance quite a lot. In addition, complex PDFs tend to be slower, especially if they include high-resolution graphics. Downsampling embedded graphics to reduce the size can make a significant difference. There are programs which will do both of these for you - for example, K2PDF. The results aren't uniformly fantastic, but it may be worth a try.

You can also improve the Aura One's PDF performance by installing Koreader (a third-party application). There is an active forum here discussing Koreader.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #25
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Very happy with my KA1. Have never experienced any of the battery drain issues that others complained about. The lighting on mine seems to work fine. Certainly, no distracting blobs of any colour. I find it quite comfortable to hold in one hand.

PDFs were initially a bit of a pain until I installed koreader. After that, the PDF experience became much more pleasurable. However, now that I have invested in a 13" ereader, I will likely only be reading PDFs on it when I am on the road. Larger screens are definitley a plus when it comes to PDFs.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #26
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
bottom line is some people love the KA1, some think it is ok, and some think it is extremely poor (crap) especially considering how expensive the device is to buy.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #27
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
bottom line is some people love the KA1, some think it is ok, and some think it is extremely poor (crap)
... just like every eink device (past, present and future) ever discussed in these forums. Consensus is not a speciality in these parts.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
bottom line is some people love the KA1, some think it is ok, and some think it is extremely poor (crap) especially considering how expensive the device is to buy.
The question is, what do you want? I want a large screen and easy integration with Calibre for shelf management. Done.

As for price, the One is about US$200 when ordered from Chapters and when I compare that to the cost of the top of the line Kindle? There's a huge difference. I'm content.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #29
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The question is, what do you want? I want a large screen and easy integration with Calibre for shelf management. Done.

As for price, the One is about US$200 when ordered from Chapters and when I compare that to the cost of the top of the line Kindle? There's a huge difference. I'm content.
i'm glad your content, as long as you are happy with it that's all that matters.

best wishes koboy
Old 03-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #30
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
... just like every eink device (past, present and future) ever discussed in these forums. Consensus is not a speciality in these parts.
i agree everyone will have their own opinion.

best wishes koboy