Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Chonuza
Chonuza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unhappy Chapter covers not showing up correctly

Hey guys, so i've got a paperwhite and i sideloaded with Calibre the first book of game of thrones but it wasn't showing as a book but as a pdoc, so i changed its tag to ebok and it worked, it now appeared as a book BUT the images above the title of each chapters now appear as an another page before the actual chapter.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Chonuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
This isn't anything to do with your Kindle. Essentially, Calibre is marking what it considers new chapters with a pagebreak. You need to change your conversion options from the default settings to fix this.

To keep it from happening again:
Change the default calibre conversion options. Go to Preferences, then Common Options. Under Structure Detection, delete the text in the "Detect chapters at" box and change the "Chapter mark" dropdown box to none. Hit apply.

For this book only:
Convert the book again. When the convert options window pops up, go to the Structure Detection tab and do as above (or if you did change the default options, you can just hit "Restore Defaults"). Complete conversion.

These are the settings I use. I believe you can probably just change "chapter mark" option to none instead of pagebreak and leave the other box alone, and get the results you want.

Last edited by 7hir7een; 10-14-2013 at 12:23 PM.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonuza View Post
Hey guys, so i've got a paperwhite and i sideloaded with Calibre the first book of game of thrones but it wasn't showing as a book but as a pdoc, so i changed its tag to ebok and it worked, it now appeared as a book BUT the images above the title of each chapters now appear as an another page before the actual chapter.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Or you could just buy the ebook from Amazon it's not expensive at all.
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arad26 View Post
Eh? Side loading doesn't automatically mean a book wasn't purchased.

I've got a Kindle, buy my books from Amazon, yet I prefer to download them to my computer (yes, Amazon lets you do that) and side load them from Calibre once I've tidied up the metadata, etc.

Edit: ok, so now the OP has said that they didn't pay for the book

Last edited by Yolina; 10-14-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Chonuza

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
This isn't anything to do with your Kindle. Essentially, Calibre is marking what it considers new chapters with a pagebreak. You need to change your conversion options from the default settings to fix this.

To keep it from happening again:
Change the default calibre conversion options. Go to Preferences, then Common Options. Under Structure Detection, delete the text in the "Detect chapters at" box and change the "Chapter mark" dropdown box to none. Hit apply.

For this book only:
Convert the book again. When the convert options window pops up, go to the Structure Detection tab and do as above (or if you did change the default options, you can just hit "Restore Defaults"). Complete conversion.

These are the settings I use. I believe you can probably just change "chapter mark" option to none instead of pagebreak and leave the other box alone, and get the results you want.
Didn't work It's still showing the imagen one page before
Advert
Old 10-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by arad26 View Post
What @Yolina said. Plus in my case I like to modify the books I purchase from Amazon (or other stores) to make them easier to read. So sideloading or using Send To Kindle doesn't necessarily mean non-Amazon purchased books.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Didn't work It's still showing the imagen one page before
Try changing your settings to match the picture below. (ETA: clearing the "insert page breaks before box" should fix your problem)

If you still can't get it to work, verify that the original file does not have this problem. If the original file is fine, re-add that file to calibre and try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibrecommon.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	113327  

Last edited by 7hir7een; 10-14-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Chonuza

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Try changing your settings to match the picture below. (ETA: clearing the "insert page breaks before box" should fix your problem)

If you still can't get it to work, verify that the original file does not have this problem. If the original file is fine, re-add that file to calibre and try again.
That did it!!!!!!!

Thank you very much!!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Where did you get this version that you are converting and then sideloading?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Chonuza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where did you get this version that you are converting and then sideloading?
Piratebay
Old 10-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Boo, hiss. You are illegally getting books that you should be paying for.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
7hir7een
Reader of Books

Kind of making the rest of us sideloaders look bad here.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Chonuza

Hey, i've just noticed :P

The images are now very small, like they are not the same size as before.

What should i do?

Thanks again
Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Quote:
Hey, i've just noticed :P

The images are now very small, like they are not the same size as before.

What should i do?

Thanks again
BUY THE BOOK FROM AMAZON !
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
7hir7een
Reader of Books

Chapter covers not showing up correctly

"Than before" meaning what?

If you mean compared to another reader, on the computer screen etc... The images appear smaller on the PW because the dpi (resolution in the 6" screen space) is higher.