Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #136
tracings
Enthusiast
tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook HD, Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
All my mother's files say they are "protected mp3". If that's what they're trying to call a Daisy, then we're talking about the same thing. But none of the formats are ever interpreted by my computer as being a daisy type file. And, when I put the usbstick back in the slot on my computer (to clear it so I can put a new book on it), windows tries to interpret it as an mp3, and offer to play it. Doesn't work, but again, nothing says it's a daisy.
DAISY books are digital talking books, but the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) has chosen to use language that parallels the terminology used when the service started with LP's, which NLS called "talking books." However, DAISY isn't the important word here -- PROTECTED is the important word. NLS, as part of the Library of Congress, is pretty serious about copyright.

To ensure that only eligible readers (ie- folks who are registered with NLS) may read these books, all NLS books have a form of DRM applied. Currently, NLS digital books will only work on playback units that have an authorization key installed. No book from NLS will play in a standard MP3 player or even through a standard computer program like Windows Media Player, since these do not have the authorization key installed.

NLS lends two players for use with their books, and these players arrive with the authorization key already installed. However, there are currently about a dozen players available for purchase that can also play NLS books. These include: the aforementioned Victor Reader Stream, the APH Book Port Plus and Book Port DT, the various models of the HIMS Book Sense, the HIMS Sense Notetaker, the Plextalk Pocket, the LevelStar Icon, the APH Braille Plus Mobile Manager, the Milestone 212 and 312, and the various models of the Braille Note Apex.

While none of these commercial players ship with the NLS authorization key already installed, if a registered reader informs NLS that they have one of these commercial players, NLS will request that the manufacturer send the registered reader the authorization key for its player.

The whole process is:
1. Inform NLS of your new player via a form on the NLS BARD webpage. There is only one field on the form: you have to tell them what kind of player it is.
2. You receive an email from the manufacturer requesting your player's serial number, so yes, you have to send a reply with this number in it.
3. The manufacturer sends an email with an attached file. You have to copy this file to your player.

If you respond quickly to the manufacturer's request, you generally can have your commercial player authorized within a day.

I have found the process to be much simpler than filing my taxes.
tracings is offline   Reply With Quote