Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
BTolputt
BTolputt began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Greetings & ideas

G'day iLiad developers & hackers

I recently received my iLiad (v2) and have been enjoying the fact I can take my reading & note taking with me when the laptop (a hefty Dell XPS model) is just too much hassle.

I'm a developer by trade (10 years running now *sigh*) but fancy my self an artist (of sorts). As such I was a little disappointed in the limitations inherent in the scribble application, especially given the capabilities of the Colors! application on the DS.

A little research found an application called "mtPaint" that apparently has quite small technical requirements (200MHz CPU & 16MB RAM). Given there is a port to the Angstrom distribution, I am assuming that this means an ARM port is either part of the original source or the Angstrom port could be used. Has anyone thought of or tried compiling this for the iLiad?

One other minor question/idea is a full-screen refresh command (possibly launched from the toolbar). I installed the Minimo browser and (provided I stick to simple/mobile-centric sites) it works rather well. On the other hand, it's refresh capabilities are somewhat lacking - after a few page scrolls, being almost unreadable. Having noticed that this issue is not present after the screen completely refreshes, I was wondering/hoping for a utility/command that would manually refresh the screen so I could trigger it when needed. Is there something like this?

For the record, I intend to start porting / modifying things that interest me in the next couple of months. I am familiar with Linux development (I have a few server applications out there on client machines), but have yet to setup my Ubuntu VM (running under VirtualBox on WinXP) for compiling & testing iLiad applications.
BTolputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, BTollput, and welcome. (watch out for the monkeys)

You'll find lots of like minded people here, and many free books to download.

Let us know what you like to read, forgive us 'non techies' for our lack of skills, and please participate in our "What Country are you From" poll"....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37241
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTolputt View Post
I'm a developer by trade (10 years running now *sigh*) but fancy my self an artist (of sorts). As such I was a little disappointed in the limitations inherent in the scribble application, especially given the capabilities of the Colors! application on the DS.

A little research found an application called "mtPaint" that apparently has quite small technical requirements (200MHz CPU & 16MB RAM). Given there is a port to the Angstrom distribution, I am assuming that this means an ARM port is either part of the original source or the Angstrom port could be used. Has anyone thought of or tried compiling this for the iLiad?
The scribble app is a vector drawing "program", while mtpaint is a bitmap one. Scribble would be best replaced with something like xournal, but until there is a way to do partial refreshes, it's not an easy program to port.

About mtpaint specifically, it should be easy to port; once you have the vm try to compile it as-is.

if that simple recompile works, then is only a matter of doing the changes needed for having keypresses (make it create the main window with "sh" wmclass) and screen refreshes (bundling xepdmgr and setting up a launch script and manifest file for it).

If you need help with some issue, just ask
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote