Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Spelling anomalies

Since I have frequented the internet, I have noticed that many people spell the past of the verb "to lead" as "lead" rather than "led". I wonder whether this is caused by confusion with the metal "lead", which is pronounced the same as "led".

OTOH, the past of the verb "to read" is spelt "read" and pronounced to rhyme with "led". Why the difference? Is it the source of the mistake over "led"?
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Damn English anyway!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Georgey
Georgey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Of course, you're right "led" is the correct past tense of "lead", but I think the reason for writing "lead" is not the noun "lead", it is simply a problem of confusing grammar rules of other verbs, for example "read" which you mentioned. I think, especially when you read (haha) stuff on the internet, there is a high probability that people misspell words, because there is not really a system which regulates it (only your own mind), and also it is often a bit of chitchat as well, it is not about producing something unique like a book which has to be printed, it is just a means of conveying information.
Hope that helps a little.
Georgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Since I have frequented the internet, I have noticed that many people spell the past of the verb "to lead" as "lead" rather than "led". I wonder whether this is caused by confusion with the metal "lead", which is pronounced the same as "led".

OTOH, the past of the verb "to read" is spelt "read" and pronounced to rhyme with "led". Why the difference? Is it the source of the mistake over "led"?
There/they're/their stupid. There's/they're's/their's no other explanation. There/they're/their spell-check could be smarter too/to/two/tu-tu.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
See this thread, post #283 onwards:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...10#post1155810
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I feel sorry for people learning English as a second language because it's SO inconsistent. Heck, I feel sorry for my 7 year old, learning how to spell!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm reading an ebook now, and for some reason, they keep misspelling "the" as "die". I'm assuming it some kind of search and replace error.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm reading an ebook now, and for some reason, they keep misspelling "the" as "die". I'm assuming it some kind of search and replace error.
It's a classic OCR error. I'd suggest reporting the error to the publisher.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I feel sorry for people learning English as a second language because it's SO inconsistent. Heck, I feel sorry for my 7 year old, learning how to spell!

eP
I feel their pain as well.

Quote:
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
James Nicoll
Quote:
And you know what English is? The result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make dates with Saxon barmaids in the Ninth Century Pre-Atomic, and no more legitimate than any of the other results.
H. Beam Piper, Little Fuzzy
Two of my favorite quotes on English.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Badly translated from German?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
It has other errors that I thought were OCR errors. For some reason, that one didn't click.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
That sort of error usually occurs with text scanning. The OCR software picks up "th" as "di" with some fonts. If you look carefully at it you can see why.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It has other errors that I thought were OCR errors. For some reason, that one didn't click.
It is strange at first glance, but you see it a lot.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
After a time, there often is a cease fire in the spelling war, and the misspelled word is accepted as a variant. After still more time, the variant may become a fully accepted word. Take the word "miniscule". It is a variant spelling of "minuscule", but it used to be just a misspelling. It is understandable why people would adopt the miniscule variant, they've heard the word without seeing it spelled, and understand the "mini-" prefix. It still isn't a fully accepted variant, but over time, it may become the accepted spelling, with minuscule drifting toward becoming archaic.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Quote:
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
James Nicoll

Quote:
And you know what English is? The result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make dates with Saxon barmaids in the Ninth Century Pre-Atomic, and no more legitimate than any of the other results.
H. Beam Piper, Little Fuzzy

Two of my favorite quotes on English.
So true.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote