Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
mezme
Connoisseur
mezme began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
[Old Thread] Comments section *formatting*

This is going to sound quirky... but...

A previous update a zillion updates ago... the comments section switched to a HTML based text... which is great 80% of the time!

The problem that I run into is that the other 20% is problematic when you are drag 'n' dropping or copy/pasting text from the internet to calibre for a book description. The text usually keeps the formatting (weird fonts, white text color, etc).

That being said... there IS a nifty little remove formatting button that you can click as you add comments but when you are say adding 50 books at a time... this can be a bit of a hassle.

How much trouble would it be to add a "remove formatting from comments" button to the edit metadata option? OR add a tweak that would allow you to disable formatting and make the comments section a plain text field vs HTML?

I wasn't sure if it's something that would be horrendously hard or just not worth the time... Figured asking here would give me an idea if it would be a waste of David's time putting a request in.
mezme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Go into preferences -> Plugins, and change the Amazon metadata plugin to use plain text. Some of the other plugins may have a plain text option as well.

I thought there was a more global option somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Last edited by ldolse; 03-29-2011 at 11:45 AM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
While I hate to bring threads back from the dead, the situation the OP describes (having to manually cut and paste into the comments field) is what I am dealing with tonight. I have checked the box for "convert all downloaded comments to plain text" but the issue is I am not downloading them, I am copying them. ie. select and Ctrl+C from the web page and ctrl+v into the Comments area and I end up with weird formatting that I don't want. So far, the only option I see is to use the remove formatting button which as the OP noted is a bit of a pain to have to do for every book. Is there still no global option for setting the comments area to be plain text?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
but the issue is I am not downloading them, I am copying them. ie. select and Ctrl+C from the web page and ctrl+v into the Comments area and I end up with weird formatting that I don't want.
If you don't want the weird formatting don't copy the weird formatting. The weird formatting is there because you did a ctrl-c which copies all formatting. I have an extension for Firefox that lets me choose Copy as Plain Text and none of the formatting is copied.

Also if you are manually copying things pressing ctrl-a to select all and clicking on the remove formatting icon isn't that much more of a burden.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-26-2011 at 01:24 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Thanks for mentioning the extension. I have found a similar extension for Chrome that I will try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Also if you are manually copying things pressing ctrl-a to select all and clicking on the remove formatting icon isn't that much more of a burden.
I find it a burden when I didn't have to do it before.

Now, is it a *lot* of books I have to do this for? No. But there are times/books that the metadata downloads don't work or don't find the book summary for some reason. And in past, I didn't have to futz with formatting in the comments.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Thanks for mentioning the extension. I have found a similar extension for Chrome that I will try.
I have been using some form of a Copy as Plain Text extension for many years for use with other applications. So when I needed it for calibre it was already installed.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote