Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
blackcat
Connoisseur
blackcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD, Ipad 4
Sci-Fi/Thriller/Fantasy ebook sites for the PRS-600?

Hi,

I am currently debating on whether to get a kindle 2 or a prs-600, mainly read sci-fi/fantasy and thriller books

I am finding it difficult to find good places that sell ebooks with a good range of sci fi etc for the PRS-600 at a reasonable price, can anyone point me in the right direction please
PS I am based in the UK as I believe that will make a difference

blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Hi blackcat - welcome to MR!!

The first one that comes to mind is the ever popular Baen free library site: http://www.baen.com/library/

You can also check out the Deals and Freebies forum here at MR: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
bah, beat me to it.

May not be your mainstream bestsellers, but definitely some cracking books there, and cheap, and in many formats.

I just finished Honor Harrington in Enemy Hands last night. Before visiting Baen I'd never heard of the author nor Honor Harrington. Baen don't mind where you are based.

Fictionwise have a good selection too, including some more mainstream stuff, still reasonable prices (more or less) and in some cases there is a choice of format.

UK based sites would be whsmith and waterstones. both are pretty horrible sites to navigate around and use. I do buy stuff from Sony, using ebook gift
vouchers. you have to lie to the software though and download the US version...then you need to find someone in the US to purchase the giftcards for you and email you the code.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Hi blackcat - welcome to MR!!

The first one that comes to mind is the ever popular Baen free library site: http://www.baen.com/library/

You can also check out the Deals and Freebies forum here at MR: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas View Post
I just finished Honor Harrington in Enemy Hands last night. Before visiting Baen I'd never heard of the author nor Honor Harrington.
Like you, prior to visiting Baen's free library, I had never read any of David Weber's books. The Baen library introduced me to him and I now buy his books in hardcover as they are released (I have been enjoying his Safehold series and just a couple of days ago received my copy of his new Honor Harrington book). I'm also looking to buy hardcover copies of all of the Honor Harrington books I don't already have so that my grandchildren will be able to read them someday.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
...I have been enjoying his Safehold series and just a couple of days ago received my copy of his new Honor Harrington book...
I downloaded my webscriptions copy of the new Honor book and am starting it tonight - I want to leave work early

Did you get the new safehold book in hardcover? I've been trying to find it in epub with no luck yet.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Besides the Baen Free Library linked to above there is also the Webscription.net store where Baen (primarily) and a few other pubs sell their books. No geo restrictions, no DRM and lots of formats available.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
149 pages into Mission of Honor right now. My impression so far: Certainly not as good as the first few, but better than the last few.

Ebooks make it so easy to be lazy ... no need to go out (outside! where the sun is!) and drive to an actual bookstore, no need to wait for the postman ... just drop by Baen's site and buy a book ... or two ... or OMG, what just happened to my to-be-read list? And my bank balance?

But anyway, yes, if you're looking for fantasy and SF (please, don't call it sci-fi) Baen is your first stop. Ignore their politics, just buy their ebooks. Closed Circle has CJ Cherryh, Lynn Abbey, and Jane Fancher. Barbara Hambly is selling short stories from her website. BookView Cafe has all kinds of good stuff, including Vonda McIntyre's Dreamsnake. All, by the way, DRM-free. And all except the Barbara Hambly short stories very reasonably priced (and if you're a fan of Barbara Hambly's discontinued series, you don't care about the price ... who needs groceries anyway when you've got ebooks?).
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
Hi,

I am currently debating on whether to get a kindle 2 or a prs-600, mainly read sci-fi/fantasy and thriller books

If you like pulp science fiction from the 30's-60's, you might want to try feedbooks.com ... pretty good selection of oldies from Amazing, Astonishing, Galaxy, Fantastic Universe and more.

Most of the books have been transcribed and proofed for Project Gutenberg by Distributed Proofreaders (http://www.pgdp.net) and then formatted by the folks at Feedbooks. Best of all, it supports both Kindle and ePub formats.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:37 AM   #9
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
149 pages into Mission of Honor right now. My impression so far: Certainly not as good as the first few, but better than the last few.

Ebooks make it so easy to be lazy ... no need to go out (outside! where the sun is!) and drive to an actual bookstore, no need to wait for the postman ... just drop by Baen's site and buy a book ... or two ... or OMG, what just happened to my to-be-read list? And my bank balance?

But anyway, yes, if you're looking for fantasy and SF (please, don't call it sci-fi) Baen is your first stop. Ignore their politics, just buy their ebooks. Closed Circle has CJ Cherryh, Lynn Abbey, and Jane Fancher. Barbara Hambly is selling short stories from her website. BookView Cafe has all kinds of good stuff, including Vonda McIntyre's Dreamsnake. All, by the way, DRM-free. And all except the Barbara Hambly short stories very reasonably priced (and if you're a fan of Barbara Hambly's discontinued series, you don't care about the price ... who needs groceries anyway when you've got ebooks?).

Worldwalker
Love your posts. Always find out great stuff.Thanks for the info on Barbara Hambly and Vonda McIntyre. Love both of them. Can't wait to see what's there.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
dsvick
Wizard

Quote:
[hijack]
I'm only about 30 pages in but like it so far. Some messed up formatting in my epub version though. A bunch of places where I get .?.?.?.? . I haven't been able to figure out what it is supposed to be - either.
[/hijack]
Old 06-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be ...

I'm rather surprised at a problem like that from Baen (yeah, I saw it too) ... going to get in touch with them about it when I've got my computer issues dealt with. The magic smoke came out of my monitor last night, so I'm on my netbook, and limited to webmail for my email. It hasn't been a good day.

By the way, now that I've finished it (probably to the surprise of people like the fellow who wondered why someone would want 2,000 ebooks, since they'd never be able to read that many) I think it's probably the best out of the last half-dozen or more HH novels. There were slow parts, and some scenes that were just a waste, but by and large, it rocked. Especially the ending. Unlike most of the recent volumes, it made me want the next one, and want it bad.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did you get the new safehold book in hardcover? I've been trying to find it in epub with no luck yet.
Yes, I bought it in hardcover. Once I found that I really enjoy Weber's writing, I added him to my buy-hardcover list of authors. So even his new Honor Harrington novel was bought in hardcover. There are only a few fiction authors whose books I'll buy in hardcover, and he is one of them.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
I'm only about 30 pages in but like it so far. Some messed up formatting in my epub version though. A bunch of places where I get .?.?.?.? . I haven't been able to figure out what it is supposed to be - either.
For what's it's worth, although there are no similar formatting errors in the hardcover, there have been a few blatant, albeit minor, grammar/spelling errors and in one place age was printed as ag e. I'm 2/3 through the book and have spotted only a handful of minor errors, which is pretty good in today's publishing world.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
I am finding it difficult to find good places that sell ebooks with a good range of sci fi etc for the PRS-600 at a reasonable price, can anyone point me in the right direction please
PS I am based in the UK as I believe that will make a difference
You might want to try the multiformat section of Fictionwise. Some excellent authors from among the low-cost indie authors that I have found there are Celina Summers and Richard Tuttle. I particularly recommend Summers' Asphodel Cycle. I also highly recommend all of Tuttle's books. I enjoyed all 20+ of them.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
Quote:

<snip>

if you're looking for fantasy and SF (please, don't call it sci-fi)

<snip>
Totally not on topic with this discussion, but I'm curious as to why? I've always attributed "SF" with "short fiction".

Is it an actual 'thing', or is it more along the lines of "po-TAY-toe" / "po-TOT-toe"?

Inquiring minds want to know! Well, at least this one.

Thank you!
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote