Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Updating tags and passing changes to device

If I change the tags in Calibre (e.g., reorganizing my library), how do I update the device to reflect the new tags?
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
resend the books to the device
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do I need to delete the existing books on the device to prevent having multiple copies of the same books, or will Calibre overwrite?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Do I need to delete the existing books on the device to prevent having multiple copies of the same books, or will Calibre overwrite?
My understanding is if the title and author are exactly the same you can just resend the books. Personally I always remove the books from the device and resend them.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
flyash
Groupie

Having to delete the books from the device and resend would be a major pain if reorganizing a large library. Plus you lose all your bookmarks.

I wonder if there are any plans to add a feature which allows users to just push updated tags to the device.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try resending one book and see if you get a duplicate, like I said if the author and title are the same this will work fine.

Quote:
Having to delete the books from the device and resend would be a major pain if reorganizing a large library.
Removing and re-adding a few hundred to a few thousand books takes very little time or effort.

Quote:
Plus you lose all your bookmarks.
This is true. If you read just one book at a time like I do then it is not a problem. If however you have many books bookmarked for class, book club, bible study etc... then losing the bookmarks would be a hardship.

Quote:
I wonder if there are any plans to add a feature which allows users to just push updated tags to the device.
As I understand it the feature already exists. If all you are changing are tags then resend the book. Kovid the creator of this fine software discussed this today in this short thread.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Try resending one book and see if you get a duplicate, like I said if the author and title are the same this will work fine.
I resent a book after changing its tag in Calibre. It did not create a duplicate, BUT it also did not change the tag on the device.

Quote:
Removing and re-adding a few hundred to a few thousand books takes very little time or effort.
How are you doing this? I've just been selecting books individually on the device and deleting them, which is not feasible for a large number of books. Obviously formatting the device would be quick, but I'd lose bookmarks, notes, drawings.

Last edited by flyash; 06-16-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
How are you doing this? I've just been selecting books individually on the device and deleting them, which is not feasible for a large number of books. Obviously formatting the device would be quick, but I'd lose bookmarks, notes, drawings.
When you have your PRS-600 connected to Calibre you just click on your device's view. This view has fewer columns then calibre's library view. While looking at the books on your device you can select any number of books then click remove books and those books selected will be removed from the device.

You can then go to calibre's library view select the books with the new tags and resend those books.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:19 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I resent a book after changing its tag in Calibre. It did not create a duplicate, BUT it also did not change the tag on the device.
There was a bug in 0.7.1 (and before) where changing tags didn't stick. It was fixed in 0.7.2. If you have the that release and are still seeing teflon tags, please let us know, preferably by creating a bug ticket. Be sure to describe the steps you took to change the tags.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Having to delete the books from the device and resend would be a major pain if reorganizing a large library. Plus you lose all your bookmarks.

Bookmarks? Depends on how and where they are stored on your device... Don't delete before a re-send

Not all devices and formats use separate Meta-data.
Meta-data may be stored within the file (like EPUB), so the book needs to be regenerated just to change the "titlepage.xhtml" part.
If you use EXACTLY the same "Save Template", the books overwrite on a re-send (no confirmation) .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
There was a bug in 0.7.1 (and before) where changing tags didn't stick. It was fixed in 0.7.2. If you have the that release and are still seeing teflon tags, please let us know, preferably by creating a bug ticket. Be sure to describe the steps you took to change the tags.
Yes, I was using 0.7.1 when I observed that the tag change was not propagated to the device. I just upgraded to 0.7.2.

In 0.7.2, changing TagA to TagB results in the book having both tags on the device (so in both collections on my Sony reader, and listing both tags in Calibre's device view), but it only shows TagB in Calibre's library view.

Deleting the book from the device and resending successfully pushed the tag change to the device.

Should I create a bug ticket for 0.7.2?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
When you have your PRS-600 connected to Calibre you just click on your device's view. This view has fewer columns then calibre's library view. While looking at the books on your device you can select any number of books then click remove books and those books selected will be removed from the device.
Thanks, didn't realize there was a device view in Calibre. Yeah, this is a much faster way to delete items from the device.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Should I create a bug ticket for 0.7.2?
Yes, please do. Make reference to this thread.

That behavior is 'by design'. When a 'new' book is discovered on the device, the tags stored with the book are merged with the tags stored in calibre. In your case, this discovery happened the first time you plugged your device into 0.7.2, and the book had the old tag value in it. Some debate will be required to determine whether that behavior should change.

Note that from here on (unless and until calibre changes), changing tags in the library won't affect the book. You must resend the book to update the collections.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Yes, please do. Make reference to this thread.
Done, ticket #5850.