Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
hidden differences between DR800S and DR800SG

I notice that people talk very well about the DR800SG.. and good but not as good of the DR800S..
maybe the 2 device have some internal hardware differences ?
maybe the DR800SG has a faster cpu to handle 3G ?
maybe the DR800SG has a better screen ?

what do you think about this ?
who can compare the two units ?
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post
I notice that people talk very well about the DR800SG.. and good but not as good of the DR800S..

I haven't really seen any negative views about the 800S other than a lot of back and forth debate on some of the software decisions iRex made such as no annotation, dictionary or pdf zoom functionality. I think most of the comments on the hardware have been pretty positive. I'm finding it to be the nicest device I've used given what is important to me personally. I would certainly like to see dictionary look up and a few other things, but overall I'm very impressed.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
repods
Addict

ahem you write from Atlanta (USA).. so you are talking about the DR800SG..
Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:

As far as I know, the only significant difference between them is the 3G. I think what you're seeing is just that different people will have different opinions, even of the same device.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Here are the differences:

3G, some switches flipped to turn on things like the ebook mall and the airplane mode settings, and the 800SG is about 200$ USD cheaper.

No wireless and more expensive to get the 800S? Yeah, that doesn't exactly garner much support for the 800S.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
ahem you write from Atlanta (USA).. so you are talking about the DR800SG..
Agreed. I was just commenting that I hadn't seen many negative references to the 800S other than related to software/feature decisions. With that said, most of my perspective is just based on comments from the 800S users on this board. I haven't spent much time on any other forums that have 800S users.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
repods
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Here are the differences:

3G, some switches flipped to turn on things like the ebook mall and the airplane mode settings, and the 800SG is about 200$ USD cheaper.

No wireless and more expensive to get the 800S? Yeah, that doesn't exactly garner much support for the 800S.
well lets hope so ..
but maybe 3g requires a better cpu..
or the newer have better screens..
who knows..
btw you know where those switches are ?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
3G does not require a better CPU. Wireless is all handled on the GSM/CDMA chipset, and simply acts like a modem or other serial device to the CPU. The screens are identical between the two as well (what other screen would iRex even get? The two models are less than a month apart in release, and only e-ink even makes a 768x1024 16-greyscale screen at the moment).

The switches are all in the code. You'd have to install say, the 800SG firmware into the 800S or vice versa to change the device between the two models. I can say with certainty that doing so won't change the performance of either one.

If you actually read the complaints, it isn't about speed of the 800S that turns people off (so why keep bringing up a better CPU?). It is about the lack of features compared to the relatively high price of the device. It's the value per dollar that doesn't make the 800S look so good. The best claims are backed up by evidence, and the stuff you are guessing on isn't backed up by evidence (anecdotal or otherwise). The evidence is right here in this very forum, and I've not seen anyone make any sort of comment that would back up your hypothesis.

Last edited by Kolenka; 02-24-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Other than the 3G, the other difference seems to be the packaged additions.
Now until someone opens up their S then we will not know if there is a 3G card in but disabled in the unit ( I doubt it for cost reasons ).
Of course if someone can figure out how to get a shell prompt on a running unit they can do an lspci.

The 800S gets a large stylus and a pvc ( best I can come with ) soft slip on cover holder with a large and a small holder for the stylus which can only fit into the large holder.
The 800SG has a small stylus and a neoprene soft slip on cover.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
The 800S gets a large stylus and a pvc ( best I can come with ) soft slip on cover holder with a large and a small holder for the stylus which can only fit into the large holder.
Now there's attention to detail - I'd never noticed the stylus would only fit into one of the two holders on the slip case. Wonder what the other one is for - maybe when they specced the covers they hadn't decided which stylus to ship it with in Europe.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Now there's attention to detail - I'd never noticed the stylus would only fit into one of the two holders on the slip case. Wonder what the other one is for - maybe when they specced the covers they hadn't decided which stylus to ship it with in Europe.
I'm assuming the smaller holder is for the standard stylus. That way if somebody has to get it replaced, but wants to get the cheaper one, there's already a place in the cover to store it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I'm assuming the smaller holder is for the standard stylus. That way if somebody has to get it replaced, but wants to get the cheaper one, there's already a place in the cover to store it.
Wow, they think of everything don't they, these IREX guys
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote