Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
parias1126
parias1126 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition 900
Nook vs kindle

Anyone have a kindle that now has a Nook? Which do you like better and why?

I just purchases a Sony Daily Edition and really like it, but the book prices are insane compared to what iv seen with the B&N store and Amazon. I purchased the Sony because I wanted to be able to have it NOW! I hate ordering, waiting, then if I'm unhappy.... Having to send it back.

I tried the Nook in thenstore and the horrible lag with page turning and the lag when one screen was trying to catch up to the other, I thought would drive me bonkers.

So..... Please tell me the differences.... What you love.... What you don't love on both the Kindle and Nook. I plan on researching a bit more and not sure if I'll keep my 900, return it, or give it to my husband.

Thanks!
parias1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I don't have a nook.........but I've had the Kindle v1 since June of 08.

Heres the thing. I just want to read books. At first, the wireless thing was neat. Then I discovered mobileread, and the ability to load books from the computer to the k1. From here I found other site with free books.

The lack of epub support, and library usage stopped bothering me when I learned to convert, and run kindlefix scripts.

I never use the mp3 option....I hate audio books. I like to just hunker down and read. No distractions.

The little color screen at the bottom? Thats just for looking at book covers, right? Calibre does the same thing on my computer....doesn't seem like a reason to buy one for me.

Most of all, I love Amazons customer service. Twice I've had to 'return' an ebook. Instant credit both times, no questions asked. I've used both their email and phone service. Questions have been answered politely and accurately.

As far as returning a Kindle vs a nook.......the only thing you pay for is return shipping.......no 10% restocking fee.

The thing is........you can't really tell how any device will work until you use it on a continuous basis for a while. I knew with Amazon I was out only the $10 postage if I hated it.

Luckily........I loved it.

Now.......that being said, there are lots of people here who feel the same way and love their nooks, Sony's, Aztac, Hanlins, Pocket Books, etc.

Its a decision you'll just have to make for yourself!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by parias1126 View Post

I just purchases a Sony Daily Edition and really like it, but the book prices are insane compared to what iv seen with the B&N store and Amazon. I purchased the Sony because I wanted to be able to have it NOW! I hate ordering, waiting, then if I'm unhappy.... Having to send it back.

I tried the Nook in thenstore and the horrible lag with page turning and the lag when one screen was trying to catch up to the other, I thought would drive me bonkers.

So..... Please tell me the differences.... What you love.... What you don't love on both the Kindle and Nook. I plan on researching a bit more and not sure if I'll keep my 900, return it, or give it to my husband.

Thanks!
I've got all 3 of them and some others.
My ranking of your 3 units: Sony 900, nook, Kindle 2.

In brief:

Sony 900:
For me, best form factor of all units.
The usual elegant and minimalistic Sony design.
I really like the cover and the user-replaceable battery.
I like the startup page.
I don't have any problems with the display quality. It's certainly below iRex 800, Kindle 2 or nook. But not that much to really trouble me. I've stopped comparing my units to each other. I just check each unit on its own and I really enjoy Sony 900.

Kindle 2:
It took a while for me, to actually like it. At first sight, I was extremely disappointed about the appeal of the assumed market leader.
But it did grow on me and clearly is a very functional and efficient device.

nook:
It's a bit more appealing than Kindle 2. Not quite Sony level yet, but close enough.
And it's got WiFi, which is a huge benefit for me. I'm purchasing tons of books and it's really convenient to download them without USB. (I've got the US version of Kindle 2 and Kindle DX, so I can't use Whispernet over here in Germany. So nook actually was my first unit for wireless transfer. And I prefer WiFi over 3G anytime.)
I wouldn't really need the touchscreen. But it's a looker and works good enough.

File formats aren't a big issue for me. But it's nice to use my old .pdb files on nook, which I've bought for Palm Pilot years ago.

Concerning the lag you describe for nook: I guess, this was the old firmware. I've only got mine for 5 days now and didn't have any problems at all from the very beginning. Todays firmware update makes it even faster.

Concerning prices for books: There are (relatively simple) workarounds, to port eBooks from one unit to another. So I wouldn't dump my Sony just because of Amazon's bookstore. And you should be able to find competitive sources for ePUBs, which work on Sony and nook.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Old Amarone
Old Amarone began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Well I had a kindle for quite a while and it was stolen. Amazon implied that they knew where it was and would only inform the police of its location. I never file a police report because that gets old when you never get any action.

So I bought a Nook and got it today. Charged it. Registered it, bought a book and went out to dinner. The Nook is locked up! Cannot get it to do anything! Hope it has a money back if not satisfied option! Because ,so far it seems wonky

On off button is flush with top and hard to operate. Navigation seemed more difficult than Kindle. Curser seems about .001" in width and rests hard against left of text box making it difficult to see! Only checked the font size option briefly, but seemed less adjustable than the Kindle. So used to the touch screen on the Iphone that I keep trying to place curser by touch. Wake up B&N, this is now a "standard".

Apple gets so much of my resources, that I wanted to keep some things separate, but I think I should reconsider waiting for another Apple device! Damn!
Old Amarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Amarone View Post
...Only checked the font size option briefly, but seemed less adjustable than the Kindle.
But on nook you can change fonts as well, not just font sizes. Makes a huge difference.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Amarone View Post
Well I had a kindle for quite a while and it was stolen. Amazon implied that they knew where it was and would only inform the police of its location. I never file a police report because that gets old when you never get any action.

So I bought a Nook and got it today. Charged it. Registered it, bought a book and went out to dinner. The Nook is locked up! Cannot get it to do anything! Hope it has a money back if not satisfied option! Because ,so far it seems wonky

I just received my Nook 2 days ago. It is working perfectly. If the problem that it locked up is you main concern, why not just have it replaced. Before I bought my Nook I bought my wife a Kindle for Christmas. I researched the Kindle and other readers. I found that with every reader there were some who purchased a defective one. There are always going to be defective products in anything you buy. I have a new 20K motorcycle and 30K Toyota truck that both have major recalls. So you were probably unlucky and got a defective Nook. If every one's Nook was locking up like yours I don't think they would be selling them as fast as they are.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
But on nook you can change fonts as well, not just font sizes. Makes a huge difference.
I haven't found the need to change the font families from book to book. I found a font I liked and use on both my Kindle and 505.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #8
T-LAM-C
T-LAM-C began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook-Lite; Nook 1.2
Reader vs Reader?

I have to agree w/ desertgrandma, it depends only on you and what you want. I purchased the Jetbook-Lite for the wife for Christmas and used it myself since she was reading a hardcover. After droppping it she no longer wanted it. I purchased the nook for her and she loves it greatly! I find the Jetbook very functional, easy to use and faster than the nook. Page turning is smoother than the nook. The nook is very convenient with the wi-fi and I like the small touch screen and just upgraded to firmware 1.2 and it is a bit faster. So, its up to you just ask and do a bit of research.
T-LAM-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:54 AM   #9
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
I had the Kindle 2 and tried it for a few hours. I did not like it at all. There was absolutly no way, that the Kindle and I became friends.
Than I got the Nook and it was love at first sight. For me, the Nook is the perfect reader. I love it.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
tyncam
tyncam began at the beginning.

The Kindle 2 is a great reader, but the look and feel of the Nook, along with the features of adding memory, replaceable battery, cover flow and now, improved response time with the new firmware upgrade, make the Nook a great value ...
tyncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
The Nook and the Kindle have much more in common than they have differences. I have a Nook and have never had any trouble with it with the exception of the "lost place and bookmarks" issue that was resolved last week with the latest firmware update.

I believe that most folks who would love an eReader would be happy with either choice. But take a good look at the differences -- they might be important to you.

For example the Nook reads Epub natively -- the Kindle has far better dictionary support -- the Nook has a replaceable battery and expandable memory -- the Kindle has a hardware keyboard ... and on and on.

The good news is that I don't think you can make a mistake choosing either.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
Old Amarone
Old Amarone began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parias1126 View Post

Thanks!
AHH yes! I had a kindle and it was stolen. I decided to get a NOOK. It arrived several days ago. I returned it for a refund after just a few days.

Besides locking up. (the solution was remove battery, which needs a screwdriver, WHEN that happens!) The page turns were slow, the interface was not as smooth and logical, but then, I was used to the Kindle.

I think that they just rushed this out to be ahead of all the competition coming. But then, I googled "Nook locked up" and found virtually the same complaints beginning around Dec 9, when it was introduced. And this happened to me in early February in plenty of time to release software updates that apparently did nothing! And I had the LATEST update.

I also thought the "color" interface is really a waste and just there to make the "color" claim.

While I use a Mac and have an Iphone, I am no Apple fan boy. But, I am going to wait for the iPad as I think that it will be better designed.

Last edited by Old Amarone; 02-12-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old Amarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Let me know about your decision about Sony Daily Edition vs Nook. I am also thinking if I should keep Sony or not. I love everything about except for the screen on the Nook is better.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote