Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Enable apps from 3

Is there somewhere a step by step instruction, that shows me, what I have to do to be able to download the updates in Trook directly from my Nook.

If I do it now, it says my Nook is blocked. I see the text that is written on the site, but I don'T know, how to do it.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
According to the nookdevs chatlog, you might have to re-download and re-apply rooted 1.2 update file to fix that -- it's been updated yesterday around noon PST.

The updated file has "nookDevs Sreamlind Softroot V2.1.1" in the version.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

I did this this morning, but I cannot see any difference.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
Is there somewhere a step by step instruction, that shows me, what I have to do to be able to download the updates in Trook directly from my Nook.

If I do it now, it says my Nook is blocked. I see the text that is written on the site, but I don'T know, how to do it.
From the nookdevs website:

•Download and install the Android SDK.
•Find the IP address of your nook (instructions are here: How to find nook's IP address).
•In a terminal (command line) window, navigate to the "tools" directory in the Android SDK.
•With the NOOK_IP being the IP address of your nook, enter the following:
./adb connect NOOK_IP:5555

When connected, go on as described.
"NOOK_IP" means the IP you find in your settings.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
I did this this morning, but I cannot see any difference.
Me too. And I've tried also yesterday morning. Today is a new file online (the hash strings have changed) and now there's new stuff.

BUT: the nookLauncher shipped with the streamlined firmware got a huge bug: if you rearranged the buttons in the menu, then their links will get messed up after the update. You need to uninstall and reinstall nookLauncher over adb, to get this solved. OR: downgrade to Firmware 1.0 first (remember your current reading position ;-)) and after that update to the new 1.2 rooted firmware.

Note: after you finished the update to the newest version, you need to manually reboot once again, to make things work.

Now there's a new button in the nookLauncher, which enables you to automatically set the nookLauncher as the default homescreen. BUT: there's a bug with this new button too... It's designed to remove it, after you have used it to set the default homescreen (that's ok). If you then update the nookLauncher through trook, this default setting gets lost but the new button isn't available anymore, to set the default homescreen again...

Bye, Dominik

Last edited by :D ominik; 02-11-2010 at 09:35 AM.
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
mos
Addict

I cannot downgrade to 1.0. I transfered it to the Nook drive, removed the Nook from the pc and usualy than the downgrade should start automaticly. But it wont start. The Nook goes in its regular menu.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
I cannot downgrade to 1.0. I transfered it to the Nook drive, removed the Nook from the pc and usualy than the downgrade should start automaticly. But it wont start. The Nook goes in its regular menu.
Did you check one of the hash strings? Perhaps your file is broken.

The v1.0 firmware has to be placed in the internal root directory (as every officially signed update) and the filename must be signed_bravo_update.dat

Go to the settings page after ejecting both drives, cause the eInk homescreen of the previous nookLauncher versions wasn't refreshed. So you possibly won't see any progress (until reboot) or errors.

Bye,
Dominik

Last edited by :D ominik; 02-11-2010 at 09:36 AM.
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
mos
Addict

Yeap, now it worked. I did it all correct, but it did not start after ejecting. So I rebooted it and suddenly it started. Now I have the newest firmware on it and it'S realy nice. Espacialy being able to set the nookLauncher menu now from the Nook directly as default.

But I still can not see any difference in Trook. Where is Wikipedia suppose to be there? Or did I understand something wrong.

By the way, when can I see, if a new updated Firmware is out? On the dev Team side it still says 8th February, but there is already the new one from yesterday or today.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

the individual apps included in the softroot might have been updated recently, after the softroot was generated.
You don't have to install the softroot again to upgrade the individual apps. we will update the feed in Trook with new releases. You can just install from there.

If you get the "3rd party application install blocked" error message, follow the steps in the How to document in Trook - nookdevs feed. It's the first one in the list.

Steps from PC-
1. adb connect <nook ip address>:5555
2. adb shell
3. cd /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases
4. sqlite3 settings.db
5. update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps';
6. .exit
7. Ctrl-D
8. reboot the nook
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
mos
Addict

Thanks hharan, now it worked and I could update my Trook app. In Trook I can see ther version. What about the other updates? Are they already included in the new softroot firmware or do I have to install everything that shows up in these little boxes?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

we didn't include the versions in other apps. Should update it in the next few releases and make it uniform. I'll also include the date and version in the Trook feed so that it will be easy to figure out whether to update or not.

For nookLauncher - the version in softroot is 0.0.2 and the latest is 0.0.3. But don't update if your current one is working fine. There is an issue in it and the launcher settings might go back to the original one and you will have to add all the apps to the launcher again.
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote