Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
djkmann
djkmann began at the beginning.

Device: all
EPUB Validation error after DOC>EPUB conversion

Hello, I am converting a Word DOC to EPUB using Calibre. I have used this process dozens of times and successfully submitted the EPUB to KOBO, however, this time it was rejected. The EPUBcheck validator reports:

RSC-005 (ERROR) Message: Error while parsing file 'element "base" missing required attribute "href"'.

Can anyone tell me what this means and how I can repair the issue?

Thank you
djkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not generate <base> elements. How are you converting the doc to epub? The recommended way is to save it as docx and convert that. https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...word-documents

IN any case, all you need to do is find the <base> tag in the html and delete it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
djkmann

Hello, Thank you for your reply, and for the awesome Calibre software that has been wonderful for my work.

I apologize, I forgot to include a step - I first save the DOC as a "web page-filtered" HTML file, using Word. And then I import the HTML file into Calibre and convert it to EPUB.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
djkmann

I tried the method of saving the Word file as a DOCX, and then opening the DOCX in Calibre and converting it to EPUB. Now the epubcheck validator is giving me this error:

RSC-005 (ERROR) Message: Error while parsing file 'attribute "value" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "dir", "id", "lang", "style", "title" or "xml:lang"'.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That will happen if your docx contains numbered lists/sections with fancy numbering styles, it is a bug int he epub validator, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1232790
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
djkmann

Thanks

Tags
doc, epub, error, validate, validation