Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-23-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
TeleRead gives Pepper Pad 2 a half thumbs-up

With all the buzz about forthcoming E Ink devices, it's easy to ignore the alternatives. David of TeleRead reviewed the UMPC-style Pepper Pad 2 and he tested it for its capabilities as an e-book reader. To recap briefly, the Pepper Pad is powered with an Intel XScale 624 Mhz CPU, has a 8.4 inch 800x600 touch screen and is equipped with a 20GB harddisk.

On the plus side, David notes, the screen of the Pepper Pad is usable for reading e-books with enough brightness and sufficient sharpness. What he didn't like: keyboard, weight, short battery life, deep integration with Mobipocket (could be considered either good and bad, depending how much you like the Mobipocket format).

Although the market for ultra-mobile PCs is still in its infancy, I expect it to heat up fast with the emergence of the first UMPC devices. And personally, at a price of $670 (after a $150 rebate), I very much doubt that the Pepper Pad will win any hearts among e-book fans.

Related: Revamped Pepper Pad may be coming soon, Pepper Pad 2 - suitable for reading e-books?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
With all the buzz about forthcoming E Ink devices, it's easy to ignore the alternatives. David of TeleRead reviewed the UMPC-style Pepper Pad 2 and he tested it for its capabilities as an e-book reader. To recap briefly, the Pepper Pad is powered with an Intel XScale 624 Mhz CPU, has a 8.4 inch 800x600 touch screen and is equipped with a 20GB harddisk.

On the plus side, David notes, the screen of the Pepper Pad is usable for reading e-books with enough brightness and sufficient sharpness. What he didn't like: keyboard, weight, short battery life...
So short they don't even put a time on it? Three hours might be ok for flights within Europe, but even though this looks nice, I still can't get too excited by something without at least 15 hours of life.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
And its still has a shining LCD screen which tires my eyes

I think thats the worst fact about UMPC's for ebook reading ... (could also stay then with my Nokia 770 which is much cheaper)

Sitting the whole day in front of a monitor i want some nice relaxing reading experience in the evening and not some tireing light show
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote