Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
yaelkmiller
yaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 4
Help Converting KF8 to ePub

I need help converting my KF8 mobi file to ePub, please.

I manually created my KF8 mobi file using Kindlegen so I already have a content.html, bookcover.jpg, toc.html, toc.ncx, and book.opf

The above files are done to Amazon's specifications. What do I need to change about these files and what files do I need to add in order to make an ePub?

Once I have all files needed for ePub what tool/software do I use to actually output an ePub?
yaelkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
a) Use Calibre to convert the KF8 file to an ePub file

or

b) Create a new Sigil project and add your source files to it.
(You'll also need to split content.html into smaller files.)

Last edited by Doitsu; 02-13-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
yaelkmiller
yaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheese

@Doitsu Why do you need to split content.html into smaller files? And how many pieces do I split it into?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaelkmiller View Post
@Doitsu Why do you need to split content.html into smaller files? And how many pieces do I split it into?
Some older ePub readers cannot handle .html files that are significantly larger than 300KB. Depending on your file/chapter size it might be sufficient to split content.html into one file per chapter.

BTW, Calibre does this automatically and you could fine-tune the converted .ePub file in Sigl.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Some Readers, all that use the Adobe RMSDK AFAIK (not sure on others), have a 300kb file size limit for any one file of the the book's text. What most do is make each chapter a separate XHTML file which usually takes care of worrying about the limit.

An ePub is basically a zip file with specific content. You might want to download a few ePub's (the MobileRead library has thousands) and change the extension to .zip, you can then take a peek at their contents to get an idea of how an ePub is put together.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
yaelkmiller

@AnemicOak Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
yaelkmiller

@Doitsu Do you recommend I use Calibre to convert? (I've been wary of Calibre ever since I found out that Amazon no longer supports 3rd party conversion tools.) But your suggestion of using it and then fine-tuning it is interesting. What fine-tuning does a Calibre converted document usually need?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What fine-tuning does a Calibre converted document usually need?
Ideally, an ePub converted by Calibre shouldn't require any fine-tuning. You can use Sigil, for example, to modify metadata or to implement some last-minute changes.
BTW, unless you plan to publish your book in Apple's iBookstore, you might have to slightly modify some styles.
For example, ADE/RMSDK based readers usually don't support small caps etc. They also don't support media queries.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
yaelkmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
BTW, unless you plan to publish your book in Apple's iBookstore, you might have to slightly modify some styles.
You're saying if I publish it in iBookstore, I won't have modify styles. But if I'm publishing on the NOOK, I will have to modify. Correct?

Sigil has a validator, correct?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But if I'm publishing on the NOOK, I will have to modify. Correct?
You'll only have to modify your source files, if you used (X)HTML/CSS content supported by the Kindle but not by ADE based readers. If you used just basic formatting, no media queries, no drop caps and no small caps, your files probably won't require any changes at all.

Quote:
Sigil has a validator, correct?
Yes, but it's not 100% reliable, you may want to check the final ePub file with ePubCheck online.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
yaelkmiller

@Doitsu Thank you for all your help.

Tags
epub conversion, kf8, kf8/mobi, mobi