Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #286
ironflute
ironflute began at the beginning.

Device: Nook SimpleTouch GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
Try connecting through Settings, then launching the browser. Works for me.
That fails. I'm still running the bulk conversion on my computer at home (only have about 15 mobi files left to convert, but they're HUGE), so when I get home, I'll do a restore on the Kobo and see if that fixes it.
ironflute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #287
revoid
revoid began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Try connecting through Settings, then launching the browser. Works for me.
fails for me as well
revoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #288
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironflute View Post
I'm beginning to suspect this is something specific to the browser though since it'll connect when I tell it to sync.
Does the home page load? Does nothing connect after you fill in a URL and hit enter? If so, be sure to enter http:// before every url you type. It does nothing if there's no http://
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #289
revoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Does the home page load? Does nothing connect after you fill in a URL and hit enter? If so, be sure to enter http:// before every url you type. It does nothing if there's no http://
the browser doesn't even launch. Once the dialog for connecting to wifi goes away i'm simply back at the home screen
Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #290
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by revoid View Post
the browser doesn't even launch. Once the dialog for connecting to wifi goes away i'm simply back at the home screen
Right. You then have to launch the browser, which you do through Settings > Extras > Web Browser.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #291
revoid

Quote:
Right. You then have to launch the browser, which you do through Settings > Extras > Web Browser.
Yep, i'm aware of that. But once I try to launch it the wifi connection comes back up. Once I connect to my network, I get brought back to the home page.... No matter how many times you do it, the result is the same
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #292
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoid View Post
Yep, i'm aware of that. But once I try to launch it the wifi connection comes back up. Once I connect to my network, I get brought back to the home page.... No matter how many times you do it, the result is the same
I don't work for Kobo, and I have no financial interest in fixing your problem. Nor do most other people here. But I suggest that if you want anyone on this forum to give you help, you first give them more information. For example, "once I try to launch it the wifi connection comes back up" can be understood in a couple of different ways, and a message consisting only of "fails for me as well" gives laughably little information to anyone trying to help you.

I understand you don't want to write a trilogy when you're explaining what's going wrong on your end, but please balance that with the knowledge that no one here can see what's really going on there.

Last edited by rwhe; 01-31-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #293
ironflute

Update on my Kobo issues:
I ended up giving up and getting a Nook, which I rooted. It's infinitely more reliable and doubles as an Android tablet now that I've hacked it. I should've just done this in the first place.
Anyone want to buy a Kobo Glo with a neoprene slip cover?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #294
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
I ended up giving up and getting a Nook, which I rooted. It's infinitely more reliable and doubles as an Android tablet now that I've hacked it. I should've just done this in the first place.
I'm not sure how you can determine it's "infinitely more reliable" since you've only had it for a couple of days, but now at least giving you free technical support is the job of the Nook forum.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #295
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
I'm not sure how you can determine it's "infinitely more reliable" since you've only had it for a couple of days, but now at least giving you free technical support is the job of the Nook forum.
I'm going to have to start checking the Nook forum; I can't wait to see what happens when ironflute has a problem with it.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #296
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
I'm going to have to start checking the Nook forum; I can't wait to see what happens when ironflute has a problem with it.
He's already started: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204853
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #297
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:

How much do you want for it?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #298
ironflute

Quote:
I had it for over a week before I posted here and in that time, I spent nearly 35 hours (an entire weekend and a few evenings) trying to get it working first. I didn't come in here asking stuff covered in a FAQ or the Kobo manual.

Secondly, I define 'more reliable' as 'features work as advertised' vs 'several features are broken or partially dysfunctional'. I can make a list if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
My new thread is about a feature of Cailbre, not the Nook.

And I would like $130 for the Kobo, because it is as new as a used item can be and includes a $20 neoprene slip cover for it. I have been busy with the Nook and lazy, so it's not on eBay yet. The Kobo will be an excellent device when the firmware glitches are fixed.

No charge for the entertainment.

Last edited by ironflute; 02-05-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #299
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
And I would like $130 for the Kobo, because it is as new as a used item can be and includes a $20 neoprene slip cover for it. I have been busy with the Nook and lazy, so it's not on eBay yet.
I wouldn't buy it. It sounds as though you have a bum unit. I haven't had nearly as many problems with my Glo as you have with yours.

My first Kobo was a Touch. My wife and I bought ours on the same day, at the same store, a couple of years ago. She's still using hers happily, whereas I had no end of problems with mine, problems similar to yours.

I returned my unit to Kobo and got a refurb unit in the mail. I seldom had problems with the new unit, and even now my sister is using it happily (I gave it to her when I got my Glo).

I've had my Glo since December, and it has crashed maybe twice, then bounced right up again. I would characterize myself as a heavy user.

So my guess is that you have a bad Glo, and the sheer number of factory resets you said you've done on it have probably not left it "as new as a used item can be". You couldn't pay me to buy it, unless you paid me $130.

Over and out.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #300
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
We have a Flea Market for items that are for sale, to buy, and for items that are free.

Please post there.

Please do not hijack this thread.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-05-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote