Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Stop Calibre from scanning a device before it can be configured?

So, for the time being I'm just using Calibre Companion for Android and keeping my devices the hell away from a direct connection to Calibre, but is there a preference anywhere to turn off the behavior where Calibre automatically scans a newly connected device before it can be configured? I'm trying to let Calibre manage multiple Android devices with a variety of media already in place, but when I connect a device for the first time Calibre spends upwards of twenty minutes scanning gigs and gigs of files I don't want it to manage in the first place. The job cannot be stopped short of disconnecting the device and crashing Calibre, which may be cathartic but still leaves me with effectively a twenty minute startup time next time the device is connected before I can start telling Calibre what I actually want it to do.

I've looked in the Preferences, but there was no obvious category to try to turn off that setting and nothing in the non-obvious categories that looked likely. For the time being I will treat Calibre like the hungry-eyed forty-something at the bar and only connect my Android devices via Calibre Companion, but it seems like this would be a basic setting that should have been addressed by now.

The corollary concern is that I'm thinking Calibre will not recognize a device that was previously connected wirelessly if I then connect it via USB, meaning that it will scan those gigs and gigs along with the content I actually want it to manage which it will not realize it is already managing.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
So, for the time being I'm just using Calibre Companion for Android and keeping my devices the hell away from a direct connection to Calibre, but is there a preference anywhere to turn off the behavior where Calibre automatically scans a newly connected device before it can be configured?
If you don't want to manage Android devices at all, you could disable the MTP device plugin (Preferences -> Plugins -> Device interface plugins -> MTP device interface).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The corollary concern is that I'm thinking Calibre will not recognize a device that was previously connected wirelessly if I then connect it via USB, meaning that it will scan those gigs and gigs along with the content I actually want it to manage which it will not realize it is already managing.
The data from any connected device whether via CC or USB use the same two files to store info, metadata.calibre and driveinfo.calibre so when connected via USB it will know what is already on the device from its library. Now how long it will take on first hook up I have no idea. Connect it and see.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
The data from any connected device whether via CC or USB use the same two files to store info, metadata.calibre and driveinfo.calibre so when connected via USB it will know what is already on the device from its library. Now how long it will take on first hook up I have no idea. Connect it and see.
CC does not use the metadata.calibre and driveinfo.calibre files.

When you connect via MTP, calibre will scan the device and presumably find the books that were placed there by CC. Calibre may or may not recognize that the books came from calibre because book matching requires accurate metadata inside the book, which may or may not be there. CC uses calibre's metadata instead of the book's metadata, so book matching in calibre is usually more accurate.

Three things must happen for CC to know about books places on the device by calibre:
1) calibre must have placed the books in the folder that CC uses for that book format.
2) CC must have the option "Scan on connect" selected.
3) You must connect CC to calibre as a wireless device so CC's scanning will happen.

It is probably not a good idea to use both CC and MTP connections on the same device.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
CC does not use the metadata.calibre and driveinfo.calibre files.
That's what happens when you make an assumption.

On the rare ocassion I have gone form mtp to wireless I never noticed a difference because my books have the same metadata and I have scan for books on connect enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It is probably not a good idea to use both CC and MTP connections on the same device.
The times I connected via MTP was for testing to help others. Otherwise I only connect and transfer books via CC.

Thanks for clarifying my ignorance.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
If you don't want to manage Android devices at all, you could disable the MTP device plugin (Preferences -> Plugins -> Device interface plugins -> MTP device interface).
The whole point is that I DO want Calibre to manage the devices, but only EPUBs and PDFs, and I can't tell Calibre what I want until it has already scanned all my CBR/CBZ and assorted other files. It seems nuts that Calibre Companion has a "scan on connect" toggle but Calibre itself does not.

Regardless, my wireless network seems faster than MTP anyway, so I'll probably just continue doing everything wirelessly. It might be worthwhile to disable MTP in Calibre just to avoid accidents.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
The whole point is that I DO want Calibre to manage the devices, but only EPUBs and PDFs, and I can't tell Calibre what I want until it has already scanned all my CBR/CBZ and assorted other files. It seems nuts that Calibre Companion has a "scan on connect" toggle but Calibre itself does not.
Calibre allows you to select what folders to scan, but you will have to be hooked up to see the option.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Calibre allows you to select what folders to scan, but you will have to be hooked up to see the option.
Yep, that would be one element of the "configuring" I would like to be able to do before Calibre spends 20-30 minutes poking into every nook and cranny of my device for any kind of file it can recognize. I would be amazed if there's no 'off' button for scan-on-connect in Calibre's preferences, but apparently neither I nor anyone reading this thread has found it.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
santiagodraco
santiagodraco began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Just saw this thread hoping for a resolution to my problem which is the same as the OPs. How do you stop Calibre from scanning automatically? The current behavior (once you set to manage device it will scan and sorry if it takes hours and fails you will never be able to turn it off) is unmanagable.

Suggesting turning off the plugin isn't viable since you then can't see the device to turn off management....

There must be a way to turn off automatic scanning on connect because I can't imagine the developer would want to put users into an endless scanning job loop....
santiagodraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post
Just saw this thread hoping for a resolution to my problem which is the same as the OPs. How do you stop Calibre from scanning automatically? The current behavior (once you set to manage device it will scan and sorry if it takes hours and fails you will never be able to turn it off) is unmanagable.

Suggesting turning off the plugin isn't viable since you then can't see the device to turn off management....

There must be a way to turn off automatic scanning on connect because I can't imagine the developer would want to put users into an endless scanning job loop....
The plugin is always there. What is not there is the shortcut to the PI.

Preferences: Plugins: Device Interface: <the user selected PI>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote