Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
BranMakMorn
Enthusiast
BranMakMorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question about OCRd djvu and pdf with ABBYY

Hello everyone,

I've got a nagging problem which I didn't manage to solve browsing this section of the forum. So here it is: I have some books in .djvu format that I want to convert to .pdf PRESERVING THE OCR so that I can read and annotate them on iPad.

Now, I can of course open the djvu with ABBYY Finereader: it will scan the whole document and read the text, usually doing a very good job.

BUT. When I produce the OCRd .pdf, it will be a 'copy' of the original text, not the page-as-it-was. In other words: I don't want to have a 're-typed' copy of the book (also because ABBYY does an awful job with numbered footnotes), I want to keep the EXACT same looks of the printed book (font, spacings...everything).

I can achieve this if I simply 'print' the djvu file as a .pdf of course. But if I do this, I lose the searchable text, it will just be an image.

So the question would be: Is there any way to convert a djvu file, preserving BOTH ORCd text (searchability) AND general outlook?

Thank you!
BranMakMorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
AFAIK, FineReader opens DjVu files as JPG images (well, perhaps not JPG, but something close, maybe a compressed TIFF, I'm not really sure).

The quick and dirty method would be to have the OCR text under the image. In ABBYY FineReader 10 (haven't tried 11 yet), you can export PDFs with Text under the page image:

However, this wouldn't be any better than your average DjVu file with text underneath. The quality method, would be to properly proof-read after OCR-ing which takes time and patience - it basically means you read the whole book using ABBYY FineReader once, and once more the final version using Foxit Reader, Adobe Reader, Apple's iBooks, etc.

I think retouching should be done either using Word 2010 SP1 (for .docx), or LibreOffice 3.4.3 (for .rtf), the latest right now. Not some shoddy/half-assed text processing program.

If you want to preserve "the EXACT same look of the printed book", font matching can be a pain sometimes, especially since most publishers use commercial fonts. But it's totally worth it if you do it right.

I mean, sure, you could use a close match using one of the websites bellow. Or, if you're willing to go the extra mile track down the commercial variants (which I think is probably called piracy - but hey, you're not making any money off of it... are you?).

http://www.identifont.com
http://www.whatthefont.com
http://www.whatfontis.com

As a last resort, ask for someone's help: http://typophile.com/typeid

Hope this helps! Some Word 2010 training videos wouldn't hurt either. Learn to make use of macros instead of editing character spacing by hand. It would save a lot (and I mean A LOT) of time. Hook them up to hotkeys instead of right clicking - Font - Advanced... etc. etc.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
BranMakMorn
Enthusiast
BranMakMorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks a lot man, this was one thorough reply. I don't have time to try it out right now, but I certainly will tomorrow.

Thanks a lot!
BranMakMorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It is even easier. Save the file in ABBYY as PDF/A.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abbyy, conversion, dvju, ocr, pdf