Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Best font for e-reading

One of the unexpected pleasure of the Sony Reader is that you can change the default font of the reader. I used the Boroda firmware hack. For those interested in changing fonts,
background:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110221

Firmware:
http://translate.google.com/translat...61a576029cd1d6)

and then followed the directions here for changing the fonts by changing userstyle.css.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361.

I see in the forum posts other ways are using PRS+ or using Calibre. Regardless of how you change the fonts, what are your favorite fonts for ereading?

I'm currently using Georgia. Some thoughts on other fonts seen or used:
- Times (Sony Reader default): okay at medium to large sizes, but could have more body. Bit too narrow.
- Palatino: too lightweight
- Caecilia (used on Kindle 3): looks good, but I prefer a font that's more serif. Caecilia looks too much like it's from a typewriter.
- Droid (packaged in the hack): Looks too stylized. Prefer more serif characteristics.

What font is the best for ereading?

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 05-04-2011 at 08:13 PM.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So we don't have to rehash what's been hashed, have a look at the following thread and continue there.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44269
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
There are quite a few threads about fonts. For myself after testing about a dozen or so, actually loading them into books on the reader, I still prefer LexiaDaMa over the others mentioned.

What is "best" for reading is purely subjective and a personal choice. I suggest you load several fonts that you think you might like and try them out. I did my testing by setting a specific font in the same book (so I'd have maybe 6 copies of the same book, named with the font used), so I could really compare close to the exact pages between the various fonts to get to my favorite choice for my bad eyes.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-04-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
LexiaDaMa is da bomb.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I like Lexia DaMa and Charis SIL. For my tests, I not only varied the font type but also the font size and line spacings since that can make a difference too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unhappy Fonts ?

I can't see any font choice option anywhere on my PRS 650 - but I am a UK user - are we banned from doing anything so radical ?

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:07 AM   #7
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post

I can't see any font choice option anywhere on my PRS 650 - but I am a UK user - are we banned from doing anything so radical ?

Naaah, you ain't. Either you do it the hard way, like the big guys above and hack your Sony - or you do it the sneaky girlie way, like I do. Just convert all your files to LRF. In LRF the fonts are embedded and Calibre will give you a wast array of font choices
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:

Or you don't bother with changing anything, just enjoy reading books with default fonts like I do from 21 Jan 2007 when I received PRS-500
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Using PRS+ means that I will loose the nice thumbnail covers of the books on the homescreen of my PRS350 and have to go back to the Sony original (PRS300/600) homescreen?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
As I stated on previous threads, I used to like Droid. Now my favourite one is Gentium.
Recently I have discovered Ubuntu Font Family http://font.ubuntu.com/
I was skeptical at first, but it is surprisingly well designed font. It must be very well hinted, because it looks very sharp and balanced on my reader.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
Using PRS+ means that I will loose the nice thumbnail covers of the books on the homescreen of my PRS350 and have to go back to the Sony original (PRS300/600) homescreen?
No, old functionality doesn't disappear (I wonder where did you get this idea). Folders support only list view, however.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If you don't want to flash your firmware with PRS+, you can also do it with Calibre and keep your books in epub format, which I prefer over lrf. You convert from epub to epub specifying your font, and on your Sony reader you create a font directory where you'll store all the various fonts you call up.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't understand why this thread is continuing. I pointed to the proper thread to keep going yet you go with this thread when the other thread is all about fonts and has a lot more information.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Naaah, you ain't. Either you do it the hard way, like the big guys above and hack your Sony - or you do it the sneaky girlie way, like I do. Just convert all your files to LRF. In LRF the fonts are embedded and Calibre will give you a wast array of font choices
Thanks Poppaea, I quite like the sneaky girlie bit reference - ideally, that's my tactical approach with most things !

But I don't think I'm quite ready to do the grown-up stuff just yet ! Big capitals frightens I ......
I think if I ventured onto this just now, it would be a lot of and not a great deal of

But I do have hopes !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't understand why this thread is continuing. I pointed to the proper thread to keep going yet you go with this thread when the other thread is all about fonts and has a lot more information.
For myself, I considered that particular thread too old (from 2009). There's many newer threads about fonts from this year with other fonts mentioned, and that also give specific examples for the css info to enter into Calibre that I felt would be more helpful for anyone dabbling into changing fonts for their first time.

Here's a few recent threads:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123047
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122838
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121860

And this very helpful site that got me started on the right path:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...a-sony-reader/