Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #16
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
IMO Alreader is best. Coolreader is good but the UI is bad and it doesn't handle TOC's. Both are free and ad-free.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:43 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
I guess the first kind of apps are better suited for epub3 spec, but in epub2 I wouldn't expect a lot of differences (with publisher css, I mean)
One issue I've found quite quite a few epub2 renderers is that they implement a subset of the epub2 spec (and no two programmers manage to agree on which subset will be used ) so a epub that reads happily on ADE/RMSDK will display but you get to live with no centering, dropcaps that look like crap, embedded fonts not being supported, images that do not display if the pixel count is too high, etc. ADE/RMSDK is not perfect -- smallcaps is my pet peeve with Adobe and there are other items with their code that have not been fixed in the last decade but it does implement a fairly large subset of the epub2 spec.

As for a web stack? Both epub2 and epub3 subset html/xhtml so there is a close resemblance between an epub renderer and a web stack.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2019, 07:25 PM   #18
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One issue I've found quite quite a few epub2 renderers is that they implement a subset of the epub2 spec (and no two programmers manage to agree on which subset will be used ) so a epub that reads happily on ADE/RMSDK will display but you get to live with no centering, dropcaps that look like crap, embedded fonts not being supported, images that do not display if the pixel count is too high, etc. ADE/RMSDK is not perfect -- smallcaps is my pet peeve with Adobe and there are other items with their code that have not been fixed in the last decade but it does implement a fairly large subset of the epub2 spec.

As for a web stack? Both epub2 and epub3 subset html/xhtml so there is a close resemblance between an epub renderer and a web stack.
I mostly agree with you. But epub3 is the entire html5+css3,

So you can expect conformat epub2 with a little epub3 subset (RTL, CJK vertical text, even an audio player) ereaders.

The whole epub3 spec is a bad joke for embedded devices nowadays.

Gitden is probably the most close-to-standard epub reader out there.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote