Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
rosewand
rosewand began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS650
Sony PRS650 pros/cons & suggestions

I was given my PRS650 as a Chrissy gift and while I just love it there are a couple of minor things that do bother me:

I never use the screen swipe function for page turning, I am more comfortable with the button. Is there a way to turn the swipe function off???? It nearly drives me to distraction that it is soooooo sensitive.
ie:
insects crawling on the screen will turn the pages, sometimes 10+ at a time
ash from the campfire does the same and also blowing things off does it too.

As we do a lot of bush camping, having the e-reader saves me packing a big bag of books, therefore saving space in the fouby for essentials like wine & chocolate . Generally I pack the inverter and ac adapter for use with our jump starter battery pack in case I needed to charge the battery but this last trip I forgot the ac adapter and of course the battery went flat half way through our trip. It would have been a 5 hour trip to the nearest large regional centre to buy one if they even had such a thing.

This set me to thinking that if Sony incorporated a solar panel into their readers I would have been a very happy camper indeed!!!

Thanks for reading
Deb
rosewand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
No, you cannot disable the touchscreen feature; I usually change pages with the button, too.

What is an "inverter"? I am not familiar with that term.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Device for taking 12V battery power and giving AC, usually at mains voltage but can be different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
No, you cannot disable the touchscreen feature; I usually change pages with the button, too.

What is an "inverter"? I am not familiar with that term.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:17 AM   #4
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I would ask your touchscreen-disabling-preference question on this PRS+ thread.

PRS+ is custom firmware which is actively developed by the person who started said thread. It might have the feature you want or the developer might be interested in adding it. If the feature hasn't been added, someone on that thread will let you know. If it can't be added or is too impractical to implement, the dev will probably tell you.

I haven't gotten around to using PRS+ yet or I'd have been able to tell you myself.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-06-2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Added necessary link.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #5
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I find the IGo charger handy for out and about since you can charge the charger so that if you need to charge a reader, ipod etc. , you can charge it without plugging it in. It will charge it once which should be enough if you need it on a camping trip.

I think this is the one I have:

http://www.igo.com/mobile-chargers/c...t/ps002730001/

Jodi
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert