Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #61
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Multiple options work e.g.

1. Don't think ,just leave it all to calibre Or
2. Do think, create a root level folder e.g. my books. Don't use subfolders
3.another option is to install calibre companion and let that get books from calibre to you, wirelessly

Experiment
Thanks.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #62
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
1- No, the app has its own preferences. You simply tell it onboard or SD card.

2- You can optionally install a File manager on the tablet. So you can manage files outside of apps, like PCs or Macs. If it's not something you're used to, just let Calibre or Calobre Companion do it for you.

3- Everthing the apps does is by an app (preinstalled, like Kindle), downloaded from Amazon (Like the Overdrive ebook app), or sideloaded (like fbReader or other epub app).
Thanks.
Advert
Old 05-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #63
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Thanks. If I sideload my Calibre DRM-free .AZW3 files, do I need to install a specific reading app, or will the Kindle app readily recognize that file format?
One thing to be aware of with Fire tablets is that there are two Kindle reading apps: Books (for Amazon purchases) and Docs (for personal documents). Your sideloaded book will show up in either one or the other depending on its metadata.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #64
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
One thing to be aware of with Fire tablets is that there are two Kindle reading apps: Books (for Amazon purchases) and Docs (for personal documents). Your sideloaded book will show up in either one or the other depending on its metadata.
......And depending on how you sideload it, the state of the moon and other sundry factors.

Azw via calibre companion has always worked for me. But Amazon fire OS works in mysterious ways

I have seen various complaints about sideloads disappearing... Not sure if the fire tablet gets more complaints than other makes though.

Fire also supports the send to kindle email route, not for azw though. That will create a document, not a book and there are several setup steps needex
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:56 AM   #65
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Thanks. To show up in the Books app, what do I need to have in the metadata?
Advert
Old 05-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #66
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
......And depending on how you sideload it, the state of the moon and other sundry factors.

Azw via calibre companion has always worked for me. But Amazon fire OS works in mysterious ways

I have seen various complaints about sideloads disappearing... Not sure if the fire tablet gets more complaints than other makes though.

Fire also supports the send to kindle email route, not for azw though. That will create a document, not a book and there are several setup steps needex
Thanks.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:30 AM   #67
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The metadata field CDETYPE should be set to EBOK. This should be the default for MOBI and AZW3 files created using calibre unless you have selected the "Enable sharing of book content..." conversion option. If you are using Kindle Previewer or kindlegen then you need other software to apply this metadata.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #68
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
I don't think that's relevant, unless calibre is handling it all for me.

starting with epub and converting...

i send .azw via calibre companion and get books.
i send .mobi via send to kindle and get documents.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #69
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
The metadata field CDETYPE should be set to EBOK. This should be the default for MOBI and AZW3 files created using calibre unless you have selected the "Enable sharing of book content..." conversion option. If you are using Kindle Previewer or kindlegen then you need other software to apply this metadata.
OK, thanks. I'm drawing a total blank where in Calibre preferences I access this information. Any chance you can point me in the right direction?
Old 05-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #70
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm drawing a total blank where in Calibre preferences I access this information.
For the "Enable sharing of book content..." conversion option look in the "AZW3 output" or "MOBI output" tab when converting a book. It should be unchecked in this case.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #71
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
For the "Enable sharing of book content..." conversion option look in the "AZW3 output" or "MOBI output" tab when converting a book. It should be unchecked in this case.
Perfect, thanks.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:13 AM   #72
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The trade in discount finally showed up, so I ordered the tablet. Oddly, perhaps because I selected monthly payments, it didn't use the $10 gift card that was also from the trade in.

(Now I have to send in the trade in LOL)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #73
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
So, has anyone bought one of the new HD 8 tablets and used it long enough to have a valuable opinion on performance?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #74
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Wonder if older Fire tablets will get Fire OS 7 (My 2018 Fire is still on Fire OS 5.x - Android 5.1.1). Was there a Fire OS 6?

That said, I’m not sure it would make any difference - except maybe in terms of the apps available to run on it from Amazon AppStore.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #75
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Ours was supposed to come today but I don't think it will.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote