Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
B&N CEO on the future of Nook

James Daunt, CEO of B&N: "...I consider the ability to sell e-books to be a great strength, and the company had stopped investing in Nook. That will change. We will make Nook very much part of what we do [in the US]."

More at The Digital Reader: Nook Gets a Reprieve Under Daunt
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Thank goodness. I think B&N pulling back from ebooks would be a big mistake.

I hope B&N goes back to investing in the Nook.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
They need to invest more in their ebook store, i.e. expanded content and improved interface. The issue isn't hardware, it's content.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Thank goodness. I think B&N pulling back from ebooks would be a big mistake.

I hope B&N goes back to investing in the Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
They need to invest more in their ebook store, i.e. expanded content and improved interface. The issue isn't hardware, it's content.
Both are so true. Now we will see if they can pull it off. They may have waited to long and as a consequence lost their loyal customer base.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
While a lot of people like the hardware, there seems to be a strong consensus that the software needs work.

Edit: I'm referring to the eink Nooks.

Last edited by John F; 06-14-2020 at 03:23 PM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
B&N need to allow the desktop app to work once again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I stopped buying from them when I could no longer download and backup my purchases.
Apache
Old 06-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #8
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I stopped buying from them when I could no longer download and backup my purchases.
Apache
This is a main reason I don't want a Nook. I've seen horror stories where people lost all the books purchased from BN before. And let's face it, we're not positive BN will actually be able to stay afloat for years to come, they go through massive struggles on a consistent basis. I wouldn't want to invest in software and their estore with that such a likely possibility. I don't see the new CEO suddenly deciding to make the e-books less restrictive, though, but that would be a starting point. I could always get a nook and just not shop with them for the books, but I don't see a point since they don't seem to invest much attention into hardware/software
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:39 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Same here. I buy an eBook from B&N every now and then just for old time's sake – but I know I'll only be able to use it on a Nook so I'm not going to make a habit out of it. But I am happy that they're not planning (at least so far) to kill the Nook and eBooks. We need more competition, not less.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
B&N need to allow the desktop app to work once again.
Yeah, that would be a good start – or (even better for me since I don't use Windows) let you download eBooks from their website again.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:28 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Both are so true. Now we will see if they can pull it off. They may have waited to long and as a consequence lost their loyal customer base.
Yeah, that could be true.

I think if B&N really committed and handled it right, they could make a big comeback and rival the Kindle like they used to. The question is will they have that commitment?
Old 06-14-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
While a lot of people like the hardware, there seems to be a strong consensus that the software needs work.

Edit: I'm referring to the eink Nooks.
What you say is true. Outside of the reading experience, the software of the Nook doesn't compare with the Kobo or the Kindle.

But my Nook is a pleasure to read on. During the day, I've been reading on my 2015 Glowlight Plus as much as I have on my Clara.

At night, the better half stole the Glowlight 3, so I use the Kobo and like it. But Nook handles the amber light SO much better than Kobo. At max nightlight, the Kobo turns on all LEDs, but on the Nook, the white LEDs are off. The Clara's max night mode is about the mid point of the Glowlight 3. So the Nook has double the range of orange light that the Kobo does.

How does Kindle handle the orange light? Can you adjust it so that only the orange LEDs are lit?

Sorry, I know I'm rambling, but on the Nook software, I think that if the database were accessible so that Calibre could control the series and shelves (collections) the complaints about the software would decrease quite a bit.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:24 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first thing B&N needs to do is really fix their really poor nook software.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic

I never did get an answer of why they did not have a series order in their software. I have lots of series and one thing I like is being able to pull up a series in the order of publication or in series order. B & N did never made the attempt to add series listings.
Apache
Old 06-15-2020, 06:58 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I never did get an answer of why they did not have a series order in their software. I have lots of series and one thing I like is being able to pull up a series in the order of publication or in series order. B & N did never made the attempt to add series listings.
Apache
B&N never did a lot of things. They left the software being very poor and that's the one reason the nook is doing so poorly.