Notices

Old 04-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question Boyue Likebook Mars and Sideloaded Fonts

Hello:

I know that you can sideload TTF an OTF font files on the <system drive>/font folder on the Boyue Likebook Mars, to be used with the included Boyue reader software.

With that being said, is it possible (and how) to use multiple styles (regular, bold, italic, bold italic) of the same sideloaded font on the included Boyue reader software?

If not, what Android reader software may use multiple styles of the same sideloaded font?

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:06 AM   #2
Incanus
Incanus

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
If not, what Android reader software may use multiple styles of the same sideloaded font?
Through experimentation, so far I've found that CoolReader and Librera both can readily handle multiple styles of the same sideloaded font:
  • CoolReader just needs a <name of the font>-Regular.TTF file to generate the whole set of styles (if the e-book uses them)
  • Librera needs the whole collection of TTF files: <name>-Regular.TTF, <name>-Bold.TTF, <name>-Italic.TTF and <name>-BoldItalic.TTF and some configuration (font style mapped to each file)

But, they do get the new fonts working properly.

Is there any way to do this with Boyue Reader software in the same way that the Boyue Reader handles, say, it's System Default font? Not as a replacement, mind, but a new font with all of it styles, appearing to the font selection screen as one <name of the font> option.

[INCANUS]
Advert
Old 04-08-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
I dont think so. But I dont know for sure. And I would like to know as well.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
Incanus
Incanus

What's the official channel to contact Boyue Support for this?

[INCANUS]
Old 04-11-2020, 05:33 AM   #5
josebla
josebla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite PW2 & Likebook Mimas (T103D) 10.3 inch''
Lroblems with the latest 2.3.2-2020033112 firmware

Well, we still have problems with the latest 2.3.2-2020033112 firmware... I've uploaded 2 videos showing how what you write in a pdf gets deleted as soon as you turn the page (just a bit before turning the page, exactly). I've sent am email to Boyue's technical support with both links, I think it's better this than trying to explain with words.

https://youtu.be/w5sGke-KOvs

https://youtu.be/TXwy7aphpE0
josebla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
Incanus
Incanus

Josebla:

Off topic, posting error or what?

Confused,

[INCANUS]
Old 04-12-2020, 05:43 AM   #7
josebla

Sorry, posted I’m the wrong forum by mistake

Oh I’m so sorry! I thought I was posting in the Mimas forum ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&goto=newpost )

Sorry again
Old 04-12-2020, 05:56 AM   #8
josebla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
What's the official channel to contact Boyue Support for this?

[INCANUS]
If this helps you, I’ve sent emails to likebook@boyue.com and they usually reply rather quickly.

In fact I sent emails last January-February and they replied, even though they were in their most severe phase of the coronavirus problem. Good for them

Personal opinion: even the firmware in their products have some problems and need some “polishing” (well... big error corrections ), I think they are a trustworthy company, trying to improve their products and taking into account what their costumers say. They don’t seem to abandon old products, and that’s a good point.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:06 PM   #9
Incanus
Incanus

Cool Contacting Boyue Likebook Support on Mars Reader Software and Sideloaded Fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by josebla View Post
If this helps you, I’ve sent emails to likebook@boyue.com and they usually reply rather quickly.
Thanks! I've just sent them an email regarding this issue; I shall post the reply if and when I get it.

Gratefully yours,

[INCANUS]
Old 04-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #10
Incanus
Incanus

Question Contacting Boyue Likebook Support on Mars Reader Software and Sideloaded Fonts

On Monday, April 13th I wrote to likebook@boyue.com regarding this issue.

On Tuesday, April 14th they replied thusly:

please send those fonts to us for checking

best regards
likebook

Which I did, on Wednesday, April 15th.

Not having heard from them, on Sunday, April 19th I asked if they had any news for me, to which they replied this today, Monday, April 20th:

hi, already forward to Developer team, they apprecaite your feedback--after they tested, they found the problem you mentioned

they will disucss it inner this week and maybe try to find solution laterly

thank you

likebook

Anyone with some experience with Boyue support could please explain to me what I should I expect from Boyue considering this reply?

[INCANUS]
Old 04-23-2020, 01:01 AM   #11
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Are you talking about a book using one font and it's italicized style of that font when the book has some italicized things in it, or just having multiple styles to pick from to put the whole book in? Either way from their wording it sounds like you found a bug, they confirmed the bug and the fix will be added to the next OTA whenever it comes.
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #12
Incanus
Incanus

Exclamation Boyue Likebook Mars and Sideloaded Fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Are you talking about a book using one font and it's italicized style of that font when the book has some italicized things in it
Yes, precisely.

Quote:
from their wording it sounds like you found a bug, they confirmed the bug
That much I did understand

Quote:
and the fix will be added to the next OTA whenever it comes.
...and that's what I think was hinted at but I quite unable to infer.

Thankyou, rvcjew! If and when we get a firmware OTA update I'll check on precisely this feature of the reader's font customization and will report back on the results on this here thread.

I remain gratefully yours,

[INCANUS]
Old 04-26-2020, 01:11 AM   #13
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey I just thought of a potential reason it might be working the way it is. If you put these fonts in the font area and don't rename them and then go to pick Candara (normal one only) does it still not italicize things?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Candaraz.zip (576.0 KB, 259 views)
Old 04-26-2020, 08:48 AM   #14
Incanus
Incanus

Thumbs down Boyue Likebook Mars and Sideloaded Fonts

rvcjew:

I'm afraid that doesn't work.

I just tested with a GillSans set of files:
  1. I removed every GillSams-<stylename>.ttf file /fonts directory except for the GillSans-Regular.ttf
  2. I then renamed the GillSans-Regular.ttf to GillSans.ttf
  3. Lastly, I opened and eBook with the Boyue Reader software on a page that, using System defaul font, shows different styles of text, and switched to the (now available under that name) GillSans font.
  4. The Boyue Reader software shows the page text using GillSans font, but without any styles whatsoever.

It was a worth a shot, but, as they say, "close, but no cigar".

I'll stay tuned for next firmware version and report here if the problem persists.

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 04-26-2020 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Changing post title
Old 04-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #15
rvcjew
Addict

Ah, yeah I guess you need to wait then.

Tags
boyue likebook mars, font sets, fonts