Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #76
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
That's rather a bit more hoop jumping than I think should be needed. But if it's that important to you to have android on your ereader, you're welcome to it.
Hardly hoop jumping at all. Dead simple. I have the other devices anyway. And it seldom takes long to discover how to adjust the visual settings for an app to make it usable on an eink screen.

As for Android, quite pleased to have it. NeoReader does not handle Japanese all that well. I don't run a lot of other apps on my Onyx devices, but the ones that I do make reading and studying much more pleasurable. Even for Chinese, there's a dictionary app which I have which is far superior to what NeoReader ships with.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #77
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Hardly hoop jumping at all. Dead simple. I have the other devices anyway. And it seldom takes long to discover how to adjust the visual settings for an app to make it usable on an eink screen.
Whatever floats your boat.
hobnail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:05 AM   #78
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Quote:
Whatever floats your boat.
Mostly plain sailing for me. However, some people seem determined to see a tempest in a teacup. Whatever sinks your boat.

If you don't need other apps than the ones your ereader ships with, no need to install them. There are also plenty of ereaders which don't allow users to install apps.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:05 AM   #79
ottischwenk
Guru
ottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: B Ares/Alita, OB Nova2/Poke2/Poke Pro, Tol Epos2/Shine3/Shine2/Page2
Quote:
There are also plenty of ereaders which don't allow users to install apps.
I initially bought something like that, with the result that I read paper.
Now I only have one registered, switched off and unused ancient Kindle of these, because it allows me to download books without a new DRM.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 09-19-2020 at 01:12 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #80
bluesnews
Enthusiast
bluesnews began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Well now we have new readers with a newer version of android. I guess none of the older readers will be getting an update.
bluesnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:49 AM   #81
ottischwenk
Guru
ottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnews View Post
Well now we have new readers with a newer version of android. I guess none of the older readers will be getting an update.
I haven't seen a single Android update from Onyx-Boox.
However, new releases with (somewhat) improved hardware.
In my opinion, Note 2, Nova 2, Poke 2 will not get an Android update either, because the 3-series versions are in the starting blocks.
Old Today, 09:26 AM   #82
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Onyx
Quote:
That's my main rant about why I think exposing android on an e-ink device is a mistake. It's ok if it's hidden under the covers like linux is on the others.
I don't think it's a mistake. Having open(ish) on an e-ink device makes available literally a plethora of software. Sure, a lot of it doesn't work perfectly, or at all, but a lot is usable. For those of us who are willing to work with a less than perfect experience, and like to play, Android on e-ink offers huge freedom.

The other type of Onyx user wants to use it for PDF annotation and hand-writing. They want everything smooth and perfect, like a Kindle, but with different features. Onyx walks the line between the two types of consumers, but probably the academic PDF reading types are the priority as they seem to have more cash in general.

Quote:
Apps written for LCD screens often use colors that don't map well to 16 levels of gray that e-ink provides.
Yeah, it's probably the colors more than the animations that cause problems. Onyx has done a decent job of trying to deal with LCD-style animation by providing app settings and different A2 modes.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:37 AM   #83
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've experienced that issue a number of times. Until I can optimize such apps so that they will work well with an eink screen, what I usually now do is open the app up on a tablet or a phone while I am setting it up on my ereader. That way, I can see where the "invisible" buttons are "hidden". Once I've adjusted an app's visual settings to work well on my ereader, I no longer need to have it open on a phone or a tablet.
I had a funny experience like this the other day. I installed a keyboard app, and I couldn't see the buttons to press to allow keyboard access permissions. So I just hit the screen randomly, hoping to find the invisible button, and somehow I ended up with the Onyx keyboard rather than the default Android keyboard. I didn't even know there was a separate Onyx keyboard. I don't know how to change it back, and I don't know how to access keyboard / input settings.
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #84
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnews View Post
Really
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #85
Crowriver
Zealot
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova Pro, Max, reMarkable, Pocketbook Color, Yotaphone 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I haven't seen a single Android update from Onyx-Boox.
However, new releases with (somewhat) improved hardware.
In my opinion, Note 2, Nova 2, Poke 2 will not get an Android update either, because the 3-series versions are in the starting blocks.
To give Onyx their due, they do update the firmware on older devices quite regularly. So for example the "Pro" line running Android 6 has pretty much identical software functionality to the "2" and "3" lines running Android 9. For my use case, the stock software functionality is more important than the Android version.

Onyx have confirmed they will be rolling out the v3.0 firmware to their recent Android 9 devices. I hope they will do similar for the Android 6 devices too, but we will see...
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:10 AM   #86
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
To give Onyx their due, they do update the firmware on older devices quite regularly. So for example the "Pro" line running Android 6 has pretty much identical software functionality to the "2" and "3" lines running Android 9. For my use case, the stock software functionality is more important than the Android version.

Onyx have confirmed they will be rolling out the v3.0 firmware to their recent Android 9 devices. I hope they will do similar for the Android 6 devices too, but we will see...
Yeah, that's true. They update FW, but not OS. I don't think the Android 6 devices will get FW v.3. Onyx drop older devices pretty fast. Shame because the A6 devices are more than capable to run the newer FW.
Old Today, 11:56 AM   #87
ottischwenk
Guru

Quote:
So for example the "Pro" line running Android 6 has pretty much identical software functionality to the "2" and "3" lines running Android 9.
Not quite, so the Poke Pro didn't get the latest update, with which you can boot into a function other than the library
Quote:
For my use case, the stock software functionality is more important than the Android version.
Ok I agree.
Old Today, 01:49 PM   #88
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
For my use case, the stock software functionality is more important than the Android version.
Yes. As a comparison, when is the last time you've heard anyone complaining about the Linux version on Kindles and other Linux based e-readers? (Maybe the people rooting and hacking, but they're a tiny minority.)

A tablet or phone is much more of a general purpose computer. An e-reader is a single purpose device, like a microwave oven, so the underlying OS version isn't of any concern to me.
hobnail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:09 PM   #89
ottischwenk
Guru

Quote:
Yes. As a comparison, when is the last time you've heard anyone complaining about the Linux version on Kindles and other Linux based e-readers? (Maybe the people rooting and hacking, but they're a tiny minority.)
None of these devices offer me the setting options with which I would like to read.
I have such, but I don't use them.
Quote:
A tablet or phone is much more of a general purpose computer. An e-reader is a single purpose device, like a microwave oven, so the underlying OS version isn't of any concern to me.
Error - besides reading applications that correspond to my handling much more, there are many things that special reader devices can only dream of, such as Kiwix with offline Wikipedia or library management like Calibre Companion.
Books from Amazon or those with Adobe DRM or those with CARE DRM can only be read on an open Android system (DRM removal is prohibited by law here).