Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-04-2020, 07:36 AM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Android 9.0 upgrade status?

Some time ago, we were told that Onyx plans to upgrade all its Android 6.0 devices to Android 9.0. Has anyone seen any news or updates recently about this? Any idea as to when this will happen - or if it will happen at all?
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #2
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Nothing yet, but I don't think it'll happen ☹️

Keep an eye out here.

http://bbs.onyx-international.com/c/...es/16/l/latest

Last edited by Gibbo; 03-04-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
menpe
Enthusiast
menpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Boyue Likebook P78, Onyx Boox i86HDML+
Well, some of us waited for the 4.0.4 --> stable 4.4 upgrade years ago from Onyx without any outcome so I'd say do not have high hopes.
menpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I've had similar experiences with Onyx (and others), so my expectations are not high. However, I do not intend to buy a new device every time I want or need to upgrade my Android version! If Onyx actually did offer that 9.0 upgrade, it would be a big statement that they are serious about supporting their devices and their customers now. That's a big if, I grant you, but it would help!!!
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
onyx being onyx, you can forget about it, they always do the same

promise an upgrade
delay
delay
release new product
go silent about old upgrades

just read the people waiting for the promised android 6 on 4 devices, the max 1 owners, note, etc.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:27 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I feel like blaming google. You can run Windows 10 on some very old machines with surprising low end specs. And each new version of Android hardly feels like a significant improvement to me.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:31 AM   #7
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I feel like blaming google. You can run Windows 10 on some very old machines with surprising low end specs. And each new version of Android hardly feels like a significant improvement to me.
No it's not google. I have at home a galaxy note 3, a phone from 2013 with android 4 that it now running an android 10 rom made by an enthusiast

any device can be upgraded, they simply don't want to, and they also don't release the kernel source code nor the bootloader, so people are stuck for ages even if anyone could try a new rom.

this is just a shameful behavior from onyx not google.

Last edited by whopper; 03-05-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #8
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Although it would be nice to have an update taking some of the older devices up to Android 9, I am really more concerned that they continue to offer updates to fix bugs and increase functionality.

So far, they have been pretty good about doing this for the newer devices. My worry is that they will soon stop this abandoning their Android 6 devices the way they have abandoned their Android 4 devices such as the original Max of which I am an owner.

Now, what I would really love to see... an OTA update bringing eink colour to all their devices. I'm surprised they haven't already said that their R&D team is currently working on this and that such an update is impending.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:04 AM   #9
whopper
Addict

yeah, april and 0 news.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #10
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Speaking with Onyx people they told me the Android 9 upgrade will appear with the 2.4 firmtupdate, so it will not be the 2.3 firmware version, which will arrive in a few weeks, but on the next
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #11
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
Speaking with Onyx people they told me the Android 9 upgrade will appear with the 2.4 firmtupdate, so it will not be the 2.3 firmware version, which will arrive in a few weeks, but on the next
Well, what will be will be
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
uniqdom
uniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it is

Device: Boox Max3
Yes... don't trust what they said. They aren't a trusty company.

They are running a $50 coupon discount campaign right now, I think that we should play the GPL issue problem with them. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=328793. In the second post I have linked my reviews.
uniqdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
whopper
Addict

up, don't let them run away another time again
Old 08-22-2020, 08:05 PM   #14
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Nova 2 android 9, so all devices can be upgraded, they don't do because they don't want. They do always the same.
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:29 AM   #15
forestfelix
Leaf of Grass
forestfelix began at the beginning.

Device: PW, Note Lite
It sucks that they are pulling this again - lie about updating older devices and then just go silent and release new models. Very bad customer support and a good way to ruin your reputation as a company. It's really a shame, because the hardware is great.

Do you think we can make them release an update by giving them some backlash for this behavior?
forestfelix is offline   Reply With Quote