Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
TimmG
TimmG began at the beginning.

Device: I currently use an app or two on my phone
Audiobook recommendations for a newbie

Hi all. I'm Timm. I posted a thread in the introductions section when I well introduced myself that explains a little more about my situation. I have always disliked reading, and just recently got into audiobooks. Like 2 days ago recently. I have already listened to the [I]Red Queen[/I and The Hobbit I prefer fantasy books opposed to biography's and the sort. I enjoy playing Dungeons and Dragons, watching movies like Lord of The Rings, and other setting with magic, different races, and political subterfuge. But since I haven't read many books at all. I am at a loss. When I type in "great fantasy books" into google I get a list. That's awesome right? I know nothing of these books and authors. I don't want to waste my time checking these books out from wherever they come from so I can listen to them and really not enjoy them. So to end. I would really like some recommendations for books in the Fantasy genre and I'm open to others but that's mainly it. I like being taken away to another world.
TimmG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:35 AM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The list is nearly endless, and I suspect we all have our own preferences. I'll let others suggest some pure fantasy, but will go with one that is NOT fantasy, but takes you to other places and other races and plenty of political intrigue -- CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series. The audio books are narrated by Daniel Thomas May and they're really, really good.

On the fantasy side, the Harry Potter books are really quite excellent, and both the UK and NA narrators are excellent. The Elizabeth Moon Paksenarrion series is another you might find of interest. More sword than sorcery, but very well written. First is Sheepfarmer's Daughter.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:33 AM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
After you get a few audiobooks the site you use will make recommendations based on what you like.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Fantasy - Well, there is also the question of age. If you are a teen or below, you might like some of the young adult books. But since you don't say, I'll stick with some of the classics, these are all books that I know are in audiobooks.

-The Hobbit
-The Lord of the Rings series (Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return of the King) - by JRR Tolkien.
-The Belgarion - by David Eddings a five book series that starts with Pawn of Prophecy. Google will tell you the rest
- The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist (Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon)
- The Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon (Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, Oath of Gold)
-The Old Kingdom - Garth Nix (Abhorsen, Sabriel, Lirael)
- The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks
- War God series - David Weber (Oath of Swords, The War God's Own, Wind Rider's Oath, War Maid's Choice)

That's around 20 to 30 books. I can suggest a number of other books depending on your taste, but I would suggest trying some of those to get started. I would recommend starting with the first two, Belgarion and The Riftwar Saga (and of course, The Hobbit and LOTR if you haven't read/listened to them yet. If you have only seen the movies, then the books are very different).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #5
TimmG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Fantasy - Well, there is also the question of age. If you are a teen or below, you might like some of the young adult books. But since you don't say, I'll stick with some of the classics, these are all books that I know are in audiobooks.

-The Hobbit
-The Lord of the Rings series (Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return of the King) - by JRR Tolkien.
-The Belgarion - by David Eddings a five book series that starts with Pawn of Prophecy. Google will tell you the rest
- The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist (Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon)
- The Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon (Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, Oath of Gold)
-The Old Kingdom - Garth Nix (Abhorsen, Sabriel, Lirael)
- The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks
- War God series - David Weber (Oath of Swords, The War God's Own, Wind Rider's Oath, War Maid's Choice)

That's around 20 to 30 books. I can suggest a number of other books depending on your taste, but I would suggest trying some of those to get started. I would recommend starting with the first two, Belgarion and The Riftwar Saga (and of course, The Hobbit and LOTR if you haven't read/listened to them yet. If you have only seen the movies, then the books are very different).
Thank you. I will look into these. I am a 26 year old male who lives on the eastern sea board of the U.S.A. I have already listened to the two previously mentioned titles. I just finished the Fellowship of the Ring today at work, and started on a book called the Scorpio Races. Wife suggested it. Got 6 hours in to the 12 hour book. Got very bored.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:23 PM   #6
TimmG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The list is nearly endless, and I suspect we all have our own preferences. I'll let others suggest some pure fantasy, but will go with one that is NOT fantasy, but takes you to other places and other races and plenty of political intrigue -- CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series. The audio books are narrated by Daniel Thomas May and they're really, really good.

On the fantasy side, the Harry Potter books are really quite excellent, and both the UK and NA narrators are excellent. The Elizabeth Moon Paksenarrion series is another you might find of interest. More sword than sorcery, but very well written. First is Sheepfarmer's Daughter.
I will look into them thank you.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG View Post
Thank you. I will look into these. I am a 26 year old male who lives on the eastern sea board of the U.S.A. I have already listened to the two previously mentioned titles. I just finished the Fellowship of the Ring today at work, and started on a book called the Scorpio Races. Wife suggested it. Got 6 hours in to the 12 hour book. Got very bored.
Hey, I still listen to and enjoy YA books. I have a pretty big collection including the Harry Potter books, the Percy Jackson books, etc, but they aren't really classic fantasy or D&D style (orcs, elves and the like). The Harry Potter and Percy Jackson series are quite good, IMPO.

Let us know how you like some of the recommendations and we can expand on it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Others: what about the Harry Dresden books, by Jim Butcher? Some people love them. (I don't especially, but I'm not in the same grouping as the OP.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote