Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #76
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
And who would ever need more than two digits for reading a date.
Apache
Oh YES! (I had forgotten that one and I made a few $ fixing DB apps where the originator saved 2 bytes by using text, instead of a datetype of 4 bytes)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #77
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Who thought mm dd yy was a good idea when most of the world uses dd mm yy?
I use yyyymmdd in notes, labels and file names now as it means the same inside USA and outside (ISO layout). Also works for sorts.
I do like the idea of adding 10,000 to AD/CE years so as it's religion/culture independent and covers all of human history since agriculture.
Holocene Calendar.

There is a 2038 issue on some applications and OSes.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I use yyyymmdd in notes, labels and file names now as it means the same inside USA and outside (ISO layout). Also works for sorts.
I do like the idea of adding 10,000 to AD/CE years so as it's religion/culture independent and covers all of human history since agriculture.
Holocene Calendar.

There is a 2038 issue on some applications and OSes.
Actually, both MM-DD-YY and DD-MM-YY are bad ideas. The best way to do dates is YYYY-MM-DD. That should be worldwide. And no more YY. It has to be YYYY.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #79
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, both MM-DD-YY and DD-MM-YY are bad ideas. The best way to do dates is YYYY-MM-DD. That should be worldwide. And no more YY. It has to be YYYY.
Gee, if only FR had thought to mention that format…
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:46 AM   #80
s.srinivasan
s.srinivasan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
s.srinivasan

after opening a ebook in version 4.2.0, i am unable to find the scroll bar on the right (unlike in previous editions). without it, it is difficult to scroll through pages/ chapters. please restore this facility. thanks
s.srinivasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2019, 04:02 AM   #81
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.srinivasan View Post
after opening a ebook in version 4.2.0, i am unable to find the scroll bar on the right (unlike in previous editions). without it, it is difficult to scroll through pages/ chapters. please restore this facility. thanks
It is ther on the RIGHT edge. The shape has changed: There are no end Arrowheads.
But try changing the way you interact with a Window (not just Calibre).
A Scroll Wheel or Trac pad edge (right and Bottom) swipe
Use the Keyboard <spacebar advances a page. many older emails had this as a 'single key read', they even moved to the NEXT un-read mail when the bottom was hit>, page Down, page Up,Home, End, . CTRL+key jumped to the extremes
Right click the scroll bar: Many, even older Calibre had Top and Bottom choices
Old 10-26-2019, 12:52 AM   #82
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Using that testing method, I've narrowed it down a bit further. Apparently the bug only happens when the mouse pointer is over the dropdown menu. Further, I must emphasize that it does not happen when scrolling with the mouse wheel.
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...3b9efcb20d339f
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #83
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Cool! I will apply the patch to my dev environment next time I switch that computer on.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #84
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Test of Calibre 4.2 converting DOCX to epub and then epub to dual Mobi and AZW was fine.
Testing fixing Gutenberg paragraph spacing/indent fine.

How do I get it to add extra books in a Library folder copied from a different Calibre Library? The Library maintenance lists them but doesn't add. I tried a different option and the extra books were then the only ones listed (and had covers + metadata) and then all the others are in the files found not in database.

Not a massive issue. Copied the ENTIRE library from original laptop to test laptop and that works.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #85
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Test of Calibre 4.2 converting DOCX to epub and then epub to dual Mobi and AZW was fine.
Testing fixing Gutenberg paragraph spacing/indent fine.

How do I get it to add extra books in a Library folder copied from a different Calibre Library? The Library maintenance lists them but doesn't add. I tried a different option and the extra books were then the only ones listed (and had covers + metadata) and then all the others are in the files found not in database.

Not a massive issue. Copied the ENTIRE library from original laptop to test laptop and that works.
many Extra Books fix : Copy To Library: <New one> (Created with USE EXISTING): Delete.
The ones left in the Library folder are the problem ones. Use Add Books: From Directories on those
Old 10-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #86
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I'm not sure I understand that entirely. However I'll try it on another spare laptop. I think I know what you mean. That's a different starting icon/menu point?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #87
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand that entirely. However I'll try it on another spare laptop. I think I know what you mean. That's a different starting icon/menu point?

Thanks.
By using Calibre to Move ( in essence what the Delete accomplishes) KNOWN books to a new empty Library, The remnants are UNKNOWN (to Calibre) and await disposition (Usually, just do a normal ADD)
Old 10-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #88
Slipkid
Enthusiast
Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.srinivasan View Post
Right click on the viewer and click on "preferences". There's a sub-section for "scrolling-preferences" which allows you to add the scroll bar.
Slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #89
Ser-volk
Ser-volk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi Kovid,
I read a lot of threads about new viewer and does not see the answer, will it be always without toolbar or it will be added later?
I'v changed already preferences with page position, scrollbar, table of contents. But the old toolbar gave more opportunity and quicker without need additionally to right click or Esc. All advices from other members was to do more click as it was before or to use keyboard shortcuts.
And the new viewer in 4.2 starts 3-4 seconds slower as from 3.48 by me.
I like the calibre program, but the new viewer on this state forces to do more to achieve the same or less.
If the answer is No toolbar later, then I need to use portable or old version.
If the answer is Yes, but later. Then I wait for updates.
Thanks in advance.
Ser-volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser-volk View Post
And the new viewer in 4.2 starts 3-4 seconds slower as from 3.48 by me.
I like the calibre program, but the new viewer on this state forces to do more to achieve the same or less.
If the answer is No toolbar later, then I need to use portable or old version.
If the answer is Yes, but later. Then I wait for updates.
Thanks in advance.
You are making a big deal over nothing. 3-4 seconds make no noticeable difference. As for the viewer, just right click to get to the options. They don't have to be sitting on the side waiting for you to access them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote