Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2024, 04:21 PM   #31
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by errenay View Post
Now, I've got Libra H2O. I've been waiting for new Libra 3 to upgrade my e-reader, but it looks like we have Libra Colour instead of its more classical version. I wonder if I should buy the new Clara B&W or the previous Libra 2 regarding only the reading experience (I don't use audiobooks). Thank you in advance for the useful hints.
What's wrong with your Libra H2O?

They are all good ereaders.

Have you ever owned a 6" device? Do you absolutely need buttons? Some people add a Popsocket on the back of their ereader and feel no need for buttons. Do you think colours could be a nice addition, or you have no need for it?

It's really up to you and your reading experience. I know, it's hard. I've changed my mind many times about what's the best ereader for me.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:32 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You're both wrong - the perfect ereader is 7-8" with buttons.
I never thought I'd be the voice of reason. But I am when I say 7" is a sweet spot and no buttons is an advantage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2024, 05:03 PM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I never thought I'd be the voice of reason. But I am when I say 7" is a sweet spot and no buttons is an advantage.
So go with the paperwhite.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 05:24 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So go with the paperwhite.
But the Kindle firmware is a disaster. So go for the Libra 2.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:06 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

But you've got good self control, right?
Who? Me???
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So let's say one reads 100 books a year, and a Libra Colour costs $220: that's only $2.20.

Or better yet, let's go to number of words. 60,000 words per book: that's only $0.000037.

Isn't 100 books what you read a month not a year? That might be one of the reasons that I consider the cost of the ereader to be a minimal chunk of the overall ereading costs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_plus_reading_life.png
Views:	79
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	207654  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:10 PM   #37
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Even if it is, the Libra 2 has a great screen that won't disappoint you. It doesn't matter if Carta 1300 is better than Carta 1200 if Carta 1200 already meets your needs.
I would not assume the Clara b&w has a better display than the Libra 2 just because it uses a newer screen (carta 1300 vs 1200). The implementation matters a lot, and kobo may cut some corners with the cheaper device. I haven't seen any eink reader that matches the contrast of the Kindle Voyage, for example
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:13 PM   #38
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'm with you on this. I'd take a 7" reader with no buttons and slim bezels all around. I only use the buttons on the Libra because the huge bezel gets in the way of tapping the screen
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:16 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Don't look at the Clara 2, then? When I said "meets your needs", I meant that you can use it without complaints. Most tech products become obsolete a few months after you buy them. If you're bothered by the fact that a technically superior device exists, even when your current device is quite pleasant to use, then you'll be trapped in a perpetual cycle of needless updates that don't really accomplish anything beyond putting you in the "I have the latest device" club for another six months.
I think you've lost the thread somewhere in here. I don't need or want your advice. I gave the original poster my opinion as I see it.

Rather than offering me guidance, please spend your time offering your valuable opinion to the OP.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-16-2024 at 09:34 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:03 AM   #40
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I wasn't trying to be rude; I was genuinely puzzled by your position. Sirtel more or less explained it to me. Sorry to bother you.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:42 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I would not assume the Clara b&w has a better display than the Libra 2 just because it uses a newer screen (carta 1300 vs 1200). The implementation matters a lot, and kobo may cut some corners with the cheaper device. I haven't seen any eink reader that matches the contrast of the Kindle Voyage, for example
Just look at what Amazon did to the PW4. They messed up the display big time. It looked worse then the PW3 and PW5.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:06 AM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be rude; I was genuinely puzzled by your position. Sirtel more or less explained it to me. Sorry to bother you.
Maybe it's just that tone doesn't communicate well on the interwebs. I've come across wrong myself one or two hundred times
Old 04-17-2024, 09:13 AM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Just look at what Amazon did to the PW4. They messed up the display big time. It looked worse then the PW3 and PW5.
The latest Amazon Kindles feel like such a significant improvement to what had come before. Even though they are the 800lb gorilla of the ereader world, their devices always felt like 'me too!' devices. But the Paperwhite 5 and the current Kindle basic are such an improvement and really one-upped the other ereader makers.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:15 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The latest Amazon Kindles feel like such a significant improvement to what had come before. Even though they are the 800lb gorilla of the ereader world, their devices always felt like 'me too!' devices. But the Paperwhite 5 and the current Kindle basic are such an improvement and really one-upped the other ereader makers.
It really is a shame that the PW5 firmware is meh!
Old 04-17-2024, 09:43 AM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
It really is a shame that the PW5 firmware is meh!
Yeah. I feel the same about Nooks. The Glowlight 4 hardware is great, in my opinion.