Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #121
charlie - uk
Enthusiast
charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox T68 & I86 HD ML+, Hisense A5,A5CC,Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp56 View Post
Hi,

I wondered if you might know whether the setup that NHS doctors use for video calls with their patients works on the HiSense A5C or other e-ink phones?

I am thinking about buying one but I don't know whether the NHS setup requires google play store.

Thanks!
The Skype App & Chrome, can be sideloaded. (Other video messaging apps are available )

Last edited by charlie - uk; 08-02-2020 at 01:29 PM.
charlie - uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #122
StuartJ
StuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mimas, Kobo Aura One, LG V20
map rendering on A5 Pro CC

One thing I'm really interested in as a potential application for colour e-ink in the future is for displaying maps. I wonder though how well the lower colour resolution of the A5 CC will handle finer detail for contour lines and other features.

Could anyone (charlie - uk maybe?) with an A5 Pro CC please try opening the attached file and post a screenshot?

Click image for larger version

Name:	os_map_colour_test.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	676.2 KB
ID:	181408

It's from my LG V20 phone, of the 'OS Maps' app displaying a small area at 1:25,000.

thanks!
StuartJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #123
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartJ View Post
One thing I'm really interested in as a potential application for colour e-ink in the future is for displaying maps. I wonder though how well the lower colour resolution of the A5 CC will handle finer detail for contour lines and other features.

Could anyone (charlie - uk maybe?) with an A5 Pro CC please try opening the attached file and post a screenshot?

Attachment 181408

It's from my LG V20 phone, of the 'OS Maps' app displaying a small area at 1:25,000.

thanks!
You asked for a "screenshot", so I included one. However, it is essentially the very same as the file you uploaded which is not how it appears on the device. It's the same as if you were to take a screenshot of a colour image on a regular eink ereader. It would appear as grayscale on the actual device. However, the screenshot would appear in colour on a device which is able to display colour.

So I also took two pictures of the screen of the A5 Pro CC to show how the image renders on the device. One is of the whole image; the other is zoomed in. The light is on full in a semi-dark room. I did not play around with contrast or saturation which can be adjusted somewhat as desired.

As you might imagine, the actual image on the screen is better than is displayed in my photos. I think it would be a very useful device for maps which is one of the reasons I finally bit the bullet and got one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Map on A5 Pro CC.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	181724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoomed In Map on A5 Pro CC.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	181725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot of Provided Map Image.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	181726  
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:58 AM   #124
StuartJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
You asked for a "screenshot", so I included one. However, it is essentially the very same as the file you uploaded which is not how it appears on the device. It's the same as if you were to take a screenshot of a colour image on a regular eink ereader. It would appear as grayscale on the actual device. However, the screenshot would appear in colour on a device which is able to display colour.

So I also took two pictures of the screen of the A5 Pro CC to show how the image renders on the device. One is of the whole image; the other is zoomed in. The light is on full in a semi-dark room. I did not play around with contrast or saturation which can be adjusted somewhat as desired.

As you might imagine, the actual image on the screen is better than is displayed in my photos. I think it would be a very useful device for maps which is one of the reasons I finally bit the bullet and got one.
Thank you! Sorry, of course you're right, a screenshot captured from the device wouldn't have been much use; only photos of the screen actually show how it is displayed on the e-ink screen. Thanks for bearing with me, and 'interpreting' the sense of my question to make a more useful answer...

I was impressed how your photos came out. That really does look pretty useable, especially given that you can zoom in on the detail if need be, as you showed. Do you think it would still work well outdoors without the light on? I suppose the power drain from the light is still minimal compared to a normal LCD screen, so not too much of a problem even if not. I think I want one...
Old 09-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #125
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartJ View Post
Do you think it would still work well outdoors without the light on? I suppose the power drain from the light is still minimal compared to a normal LCD screen, so not too much of a problem even if not. I think I want one...
Although I haven't had an opportunity to test it outside in direct sunlight yet, when the sun swung around this afternoon, I had the opportunity to test it out with the light off in a patch of very bright direct sunlight...

I deliberately left part of the screen in the shadow so that the difference could be seen. And, once again, the image is clearer in person than it shows in my photos.

I should perhaps also add that my phone came with a matte screen protector already on it. I have heard that the colours are better without any screen protector, but then there would be more glare to contend with so I think I will leave mine on for the time being. But, as the photos show, there will be no problem viewing maps with the light off in direct sunlight. Another point to note is that a screenshot of a colour map could be pinned to the lockscreen or the power off screen so that it would be viewable when the device is asleep or completely powered off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Map in Direct Sun and Shade A.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	181741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Map in Direct Sun and Shade B.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	181742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Map in Direct Sun and Shade C.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	181743  
Advert
Old 09-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #126
dennisdd
Enthusiast
dennisdd doesn't litterdennisdd doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mimas
Does anyone have any idea which more common phone has a similar size to the A5pro cc?
I am looking to get a slide-in leather case and cannot find one that is specifically made for
the A5 devices. So I was thinking to get one of a similar sized phone that is more common.

Thanks,
Dennis
dennisdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #127
vladimir
vladimir began at the beginning.

Device: palm zire, Kindles, Yotaphone 2, Likebook Mars
Why do I hesitate to buy the A5 pro cc?
The delivery to Europe takes forever. I broke my Yota phone's screen on the second week after I got it and thanks to Waldy my Like book Mars still continues to work.
I hope and expect a better technology or a newer product to appear sooner than later (just look at the Hisense Q5, Kaleido's wider adoption and the recently announced Nxtpaper). Twoo days ago there was one A5 pro put for sale on the German ebay I wanted to bid for but it misteriously disappeared. I don't expect Hisense to slash the price of the color a5. I also see low number of sold units on Aliexpress. Finally the Cect price is considerably more expensive when compared to the price listed on jd. I love the Hisense, I need it, but my heart is saying No 😁
vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #128
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir View Post
Why do I hesitate to buy the A5 pro cc?
The delivery to Europe takes forever.
Not sure about Europe, but mine arrived in under a week to Canada. Ordered through the CECT Shop and it was shipped via DHL.

Quote:
Finally the Cect price is considerably more expensive when compared to the price listed on jd.
CECT Shop is a little pricier. At the moment, it seems they are charging $30 more than JD. To me, although I'd always rather pay less, it's not a huge amount. And I really appreciate the speed and quality of service which I have experienced when dealing with CECT Shop. They have always been extremely responsive whenever I've contacted them.

To me, some things are worth paying for, especially when I consider the fiasco when I tried to buy a Hisense A5 off of Aliexpress. I eventually got all of my money back, but it was a truly exhausting experience. Never again. I'd gladly pay an extra $30 to save myself such headaches.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #129
vladimir
vladimir began at the beginning.

Device: palm zire, Kindles, Yotaphone 2, Likebook Mars
Quote:
To me, some things are worth paying for, especially when I consider the fiasco when I tried to buy a Hisense A5 off of Aliexpress. I eventually got all of my money back, but it was a truly exhausting experience. Never again. I'd gladly pay an extra $30 to save myself such headaches.
Totally agree. My respect to CECT. Sorry for your fiasco experience with Aliexpress.
I just ask what happens when that shiny new device suddenly malfunctions or gets broken?
To me the risk is too high to take.
vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:27 AM   #130
StuartJ

Quote:
Although I haven't had an opportunity to test it outside in direct sunlight yet, when the sun swung around this afternoon, I had the opportunity to test it out with the light off in a patch of very bright direct sunlight... [... A]s the photos show, there will be no problem viewing maps with the light off in direct sunlight. Another point to note is that a screenshot of a colour map could be pinned to the lockscreen or the power off screen so that it would be viewable when the device is asleep or completely powered off.
Thank you! That looks great, and I like the idea of pinning a screenshot to the lockscreen, assuming the Hisense UI for doing that is straightforward. I do that with a map of my local area with a Likebook Mimas and it works great. Even more so with the colour
Old 09-08-2020, 01:29 AM   #131
dennisdd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Totally agree. My respect to CECT. Sorry for your fiasco experience with Aliexpress.
I just ask what happens when that shiny new device suddenly malfunctions or gets broken?
To me the risk is too high to take.
I had ordered both from cect, the a5 with Google multilanguage Rom and the pro CC. I must say i would like to have the pro CC with Google, but that doesnt seem to happen at the Moment.
Hence, i am selling the pro cc one in Germany, if you are interested, Plesse PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:31 AM   #132
dennisdd
Enthusiast

Still wondering, which other and more common phone has similar size to get a good case. And ideas?
Old 09-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #133
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisdd View Post
Still wondering, which other and more common phone has similar size to get a good case. And ideas?
Not sure about what other phone would be similar in size. However, I did find something on Aliexpress for the A5 Pro model.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_

Given how cheap it is, I thought I would give it a try. Will let you know what it is like when it eventually arrives which could be upwards of 60 days.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:01 AM   #134
dennisdd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Not sure about what other phone would be similar in size. However, I did find something on Aliexpress for the A5 Pro model.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_

Given how cheap it is, I thought I would give it a try. Will let you know what it is like when it eventually arrives which could be upwards of 60 days.
Thanks for letting ne know. I am actually looking for something like a slide-in leather pouch, so exact same size would not be that critical.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:37 AM   #135
dennisdd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisdd View Post
I tried to compare sizes and the closest I got is the Xiaomi Mi 8. bought a suncase cover for it and it works well with my A5. A5 is only a tiny bit shorter.