Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
zielperson
zielperson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Unhappy Battery troubles

OK.. new here.

Hi all

Just bought a PRS-600 on Saturday, the 5th and I seem to be having extreme battery problems.

Now, I am aware that the 7'500 page views is a theoretical number, but right now I seem to get about 200-300 page views per charge (lasting me 1-2 days)

Here is my history:
Episode 1 - Rise
  • Got the reader
  • Initial charge
  • Put some PDFs on it
  • Reading: "Blindsight", on original size or 1 zoom level (text based PDF)
  • After playing a bit (look at settings, etc), I turned back to reading
  • on page 154, the screen turns BLACK
  • no response, nothing
  • I reset the device and it boots up again, tells me "battery is low" and dies.
  • So I hang it on the USB for another night

Episode 2 - Fall
  • Started reading again
  • at 20 pages in, battery is down to 3 bars
  • I turn the unit on standby for the night (Yes, I know, but energy management is on, so it should turn off at 60 minutes)
  • Started reading again next day, battery is still at 3 bars.
  • At breakfast, I decide to add a small note
  • I bring up the notes screen and type about 30 words.
  • I close the notes and see that battery is down to 1 bar (from 3)

Episode 3 - Support? what's that?
  • I call SONY Switzerland
  • The guy is in a hurry and just tells me to turn the device off completely instead of standby
  • I try telling him that I did not have an issue of the device discharging over night, but while in use
  • He did not listen and got confused about which device I have (505, right?)

Episode 4 - Open questions
  • Is this a battery issue?
  • Have I done something wrong?
  • Is this normal when viewing PDFs? Is battery life dependent on filetype?
  • Should I just return this unit?

Thank you for your patience and help,

::zielperson::
zielperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Welcome to mobileread.

Doesn't sound normal to me but I'm not much of a techie.

What I can tell you is that my battery will last a good 1000 - 1500 page turns before the device needs to be charged again. In terms of time that is about 1-2 weeks of reading for me.

I have also never experienced the battery going from 3 bars down to 1 like that which sounds very odd.

Hopefully other people here can confirm whether this is a battery problem.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
PRS600 Battery Life

Read through the above thread. It gives some tips to initially condition the battery so you can get a normal battery life between charges.

Personally, I find that powering down the device completely each night before bed gets very good results. I average about 11-12 days between charges.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
zielperson

OK.
Actually, I read that thread before even registering here.

Bad thing is, I am NOT getting about 1000 pages worth or 1-2 weeks as people do in that thread.

Without notes, using the page turn button, I get about 200 pages or about 1-2 days

Also the battery literally jumps from 3 bars to 1.

Today I did a full charge, turned on the device and it jumped from full to 3 bars in 20 seconds.

I guess I will be returning it tomorrow.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

You may have a bad battery.

I would also try to run the batter down until you get the warning message, then do a full charge. This may need to be done twice before you see actual results.
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
zielperson

OK.. how should I do the charge?

Keep it turned off and connect it, or turn it on and connect it?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you have a mains adapter? That's the best way to charge a Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
zielperson

Nope. Although according to the other thread an Apple iPhone charger might do the trick?
(According to grooks in his cited thread, USB charge holds better)

To say I am at a slight loss right now might be an understatement.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard

I usually use a mains/wall charger.

If you use a usb connected to a computer, make sure the usb port is providing power at all times and the computer does not go into hibernate mode.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
when using a computer with win 7 it shuts down automatically the usb-ports to save energy. that's standart in the system-device-settings. you can deactivate that in unchecking, but it does not save this setting.you have to do that again.

from my experience, the extern charger charges better than the usb-charger.

happy reading

harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
EQ2
EQ2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Onyx Boox M92
I had this exact same problem, went through the thread where everyone else was having problems and tried the solutions listed there to no avail.

Eventually, I charged the reader fully using a mains adaptor and then opened it up and physically disconnected the battery. After about 2mins I reconnected it, at which point the little light on the top went orange. So I hit the reset button, closed the reader up again and then started it.

Its been going about three days without a single bar drop so far(~2-3hrs usage a day with about 300 pages in total)...I'm hoping this has fixed it and it was just a weird calibration error. Will post here again if this has fixed it completely(so another 6-7 days hopefully).
EQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
AndreiC
Enthusiast
AndreiC began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle 2 International
Do you have an SD Card?

Can you try to see how it works without it inserted?
AndreiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #13
AndreiC
Enthusiast
AndreiC began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle 2 International
More info:

I've been using a 16 GB Class-4 Kingston SD Card; only recently I realized this was slowing down the reader to a crawl in most operations while also draining the battery very fast. Just an example: after removing the SD Card from the device, saving a note (highlighted text) is almost instantaneous now, wehereas before it took like 9 seconds.

I'll soon try a Memory Stick Pro Duo or a Class-6 SD Card.
AndreiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you have the 600 charging via the USB, you will be wasting battery because when you unplug the USB cable, the 600 is going to spend time scanning the content. If you use an AC adapter, it won't scan the content when you unplug the 600.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:18 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please note, by the way, that when we talk about wall chargers, we are talking about chargers which connect to the circular "charger" socket on the base of the Reader, NOT to chargers which connect to the USB socket. Any PSP charger will work just fine on the Reader, and these can be picked up cheaply at game stores.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote