Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #31
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Do you remember Kodachrome film? It occurred to me recently that the very young kids of today and tomorrow might never see a rolled photography film again...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #32
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I remember horse drawn wagons (sledges in winter) for hauling the crops in from the fields. Horses were usually better than tractors because when you were gathering crops (hay or shocks of grain or corn) the horses could be trained to obey voice commands so you wouldn't need another human to drive the tractor.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #33
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I remember the first television set I ever saw. It belonged to my aunt and uncle. It was a huge mahogany piece of furniture with a round six inch piece of glass on the front. When you turned it on the glass would glow green with black pictures moving around on it. But mostly it was black with green snow because the one or two stations were only on the air for a short time.

The monster must have cost a fortune!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #34
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
My first college dorm had a phone with separate ear phone and microphone, crank on the side to get the attention of the opperator, tell her the three-digit number.... but it was a pretty old dorm at a very old school.

I remember when roller skates had four wheels and needed a skate key and could fit on any shoes.

I remember that a small glass of coca cola (made from a splash of syrup and carbonated water,) cost 6 cents. Large glass cost ten cents. Another 15 cents got you a slice of pizza. A pack of cigarettes out of the vending machine cost 24 cents. My mother smoked 'Chesterfields.' You'd drop in a quarter and the pack of cigarettes had a penny taped to the side.

Do you remember Victrola's? 78rpm?

How about choosing a bag of 'penny candies?' 3 of these for one penny, four of those for a penny, 2 bottle caps filled with fudge for a penny, candy 'dot's' on a strip of paper?

Jean-Paul Sartre said (in "Nausea,") "the past is a landlord's luxury."

Personally, I disagree! All it takes is a good memory.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:02 AM   #35
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Do you remember Kodachrome film? It occurred to me recently that the very young kids of today and tomorrow might never see a rolled photography film again...
And wonder what the hell Paul Simon was singing about.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 03:03 AM   #36
wodin
Illiterate

This tread is GREAT (I remember Tony the Tiger)! Lets all drop some karma on grimo1re for starting it.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:07 AM   #37
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Let's wax nostalgic in this thread. Do you remember the Y2K bug? Wasn't that fun!
I'm looking forward to the Unix 19 Jan 2038 bug. Only 28 years, 5 months, and 20 days to go.

And then there's the HFS+ 6 February 2040 bug a couple of years later.

Nostalgia for Y2K. Why? There's so much to look forward to!

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #38
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I remember Howdy Doody, the Mousekateers (I was in love with Annette), and Captain Kangaroo.
Every healthy young boy was in love with Annette. She had bumps! I liked watching her more than Spin and Marty and Captain Video combined!

Channel 13 was the only one that had cartoons (before the Mickey Mouse Club,) and only between 3pm and 7pm. Silent ones except for the music that was played behind them. We had to go to bed right after 'Sgt. Bilko.' It ended at 7:30.... 'You are there!' 'Mr.Wizard.' 'My Little Margie.' 'Topper.'

Just last month I downloaded an episode each of 'My Little Margie,' 'M-Squad,' 'The Adventures of Superman,' and 'Dragnet.' Ya know... I couldn't watch for more than a few minutes... None of them. I guess our tastes have evolved with the technology. I was really hoping for a shot of great nostalgia. I guess nostalgia is sort of like fantasy; best left to the imagination.

Stitchawl

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #39
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
The tinker who would wander the streets to fix your pots and sharpen your knives.
only about 10 years ago i saw a window-pane replacer (what are those called in english ?) walking through the street with several different-sized panes of glass in a wooden structure he carried on his back. as he walked, he called out "VIIIIIITRIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEER... VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITRIIIEEEEEER" ("vitrier" is the name of this profession in french). also i remember seeing a man who sharpened scissors and knives (rémouleur) about the same epoch.

Quote:
The GP who would visit your home when you were sick.
i remember that from when i had flu this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I remember penny (1 cent US) postcards, three cent letters and six cent airmail. The airmail used extra skinny paper so it would weigh less.
oh yes, i remember the special airmail paper ! and the envelopes with the red and blue stripes around the edges, so you could see right away it was an airmail letter. and the little blue stickers "par avion" which you put on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
...and remember how long you had to wait to see the photos ? because you had to take them to the laboratory to be developped, and come back to pick them up, and only then could you know if they came out as well as you hoped. for some special photos it was just agony to wait so long ! and then there appeared the "one hour" labs, and it was amazing so see them so fast !

and remember sometimes you would take the last 2 or 3 photos on the film of nothing at all, just to finish it, because you were in a hurry to see the pictures ? and then get the film back and have 3 lovely closeups of your feet, or the corner of a table...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #40
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
heh. i still have a phone with a cord as well, in case of electrical failure. and i also have a really old phone with a round dial you have to turn (remember those ??) and a second earpiece on the back so you can share the conversation with a friend, but i can't use it as my main phone, because at the time they were made, the ringer was in a separate box on the wall, and i don't have that box. (anybody remember that ?)
Can you even use that turn dial? Those things became useless when they went from pulse to tone... I do have one somewhere too...

Quote:
i also remember when my east german friends told me they had to wait maybe a year to get a telephone installed in their house. this was about 15 years ago. they had to use a phone booth in the street. there was one (in dresden) which was broken, so you could telephone even long distance without paying, for as long as you wanted. there was always a long line for that one.
Which reminds me, do you remember when there was a stone and iron fence in Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Heh... Looking in my wallet today, I remembered when US currency was only one color.
I remember when the Dutch currency was colourful...

Quote:
oh yes, i remember the special airmail paper ! and the envelopes with the red and blue stripes around the edges, so you could see right away it was an airmail letter. and the little blue stickers "par avion" which you put on them.
Mine had it printed on the envelope!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #41
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
also i remember seeing a man who sharpened scissors and knives (rémouleur) about the same epoch.
You can still find them around down here, especially in a restaurant area, though admittedly they get around on motorbikes or in vans rather than on foot. They will apparently happily come and sharpen home knives (and I'm told it's pretty cheap too).

Quote:
...and remember how long you had to wait to see the photos ? because you had to take them to the laboratory to be developped, and come back to pick them up, and only then could you know if they came out as well as you hoped. for some special photos it was just agony to wait so long ! and then there appeared the "one hour" labs, and it was amazing so see them so fast !

and remember sometimes you would take the last 2 or 3 photos on the film of nothing at all, just to finish it, because you were in a hurry to see the pictures ? and then get the film back and have 3 lovely closeups of your feet, or the corner of a table...
I still do all of that (though I don't bother with the feet-closeups - I just rewind, or take totally unnecessary shots of the dogs ). If I don't, The Loved One would just have more reason to complain about the number of cameras I have. I've actually never used Kodachrome though.

Cheers,
Marc (looking into the eyes of six film cameras at this very moment - they're on the shelf above my desk, at eye height)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #42
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Can you even use that turn dial? Those things became useless when they went from pulse to tone... I do have one somewhere too...
to be honest, it's not really the turn dial which prevents me from using it too often, it's more than the earpiece weighs three tonnes !

Quote:
Which reminds me, do you remember when there was a stone and iron fence in Europe?
oh yes ! and i remember also when it was finally opened : i was babysitting that evening and saw the images on the news on television. and then a few years later i remember seeing the remains of it in berlin, and what a strange effect it had on me, like a jump in my heart when i thought about when it was still a fence.

Quote:
I remember when the Dutch currency was colourful...
i remember when french currency was... only french. and it had pretty pictures of the eiffel tower and st. exupéry and the little prince and cézanne and...

Quote:
Mine had it printed on the envelope!
fancy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
You can still find them around down here, especially in a restaurant area, though admittedly they get around on motorbikes or in vans rather than on foot. They will apparently happily come and sharpen home knives (and I'm told it's pretty cheap too).
i'm not sure we have them here anymore. i hope so... but i doubt it.

Quote:
I still do all of that (though I don't bother with the feet-closeups - I just rewind, or take totally unnecessary shots of the dogs ). If I don't, The Loved One would just have more reason to complain about the number of cameras I have. I've actually never used Kodachrome though.
i've got more film cameras than i want to admit, although i can't remember the last time i really used one to be honest, and some rolls of 35mm and 120 film in the refrigerator even now. they are so old they would probably turn out red if i develop them but i'll keep them just in case...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #43
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
i've got more film cameras than i want to admit, although i can't remember the last time i really used one to be honest, and some rolls of 35mm and 120 film in the refrigerator even now. they are so old they would probably turn out red if i develop them but i'll keep them just in case...
I've got a couple of tupperware containers worth in the fridge too. It's hard to go past my DSLR(s) when I walk out the door, and so I rarely do. However, because I keep occasionally buying film cameras (damn ebay!), it obliges me run at least one film through them, I guess. So I have actually taken some film photos in relatively recent times.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #44
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
oh yes ! and i remember also when it was finally opened : i was babysitting that evening and saw the images on the news on television. and then a few years later i remember seeing the remains of it in berlin, and what a strange effect it had on me, like a jump in my heart when i thought about when it was still a fence.
I went there that same year (with school). The border was opened, so we could drive past Checkpoint Alpha and Beta, but we were checked at Checkpoint Charlie. And I do have a piece of the wall at home (chipped it off myself!). And that Eastern Germany money was made out of tin cans, I think...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #45
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
only about 10 years ago i saw a window-pane replacer (what are those called in english ?)
A glazier.

I remember skipping down the road with my hoop and stick, in my velveteen knickerbockers and a beribboned straw hat.

(A week last Tuesday, that was. )

Last edited by Sparrow; 07-29-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: got the day wrong
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote