Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
romanas
Enthusiast
romanas began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad ebook edition, DR1000s
What format is best to create from chm file

Hello, i am new owner of iliad and i have few chm files wich are 200mb. Im a resident-doctor and i need these book for learning. but with fbreader as i read is imposible to open big files.
I wanna to ask what format is best if i wanna to reformat from chm?
And what programs are best to do this?
Maybe there is another program to read big chm on iliad?
romanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Windows MobiPocket Reader is supposed to be able to import CHM and output MOBI, but it does not always work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have used the ABC Amber CHM Converter with great results. It does convert the data (text) within the CHM file and also converts the graphics that are included. Output options include the standard offerings of PDF, DOC, RTF, etc. It preserves the original links from the CHM file. I have included a PDF conversion of the program's CHM help file as an example of the output the program creates.

They also say that they will soon be offering LRF format for Sony Readers; but, sadly not in the current version. There is a link to the software in the MobileRead Wiki. It is a commercial program that does offer a free trial period of a prior version.

Another program I have tried with mixed results (and a higher price tag) is AIK Research Labs' chm2web.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf abcchm.pdf (254.8 KB, 2512 views)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Extract to HTML and then use whichever tool you prefer to read/convert it.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
romanas
Enthusiast

its very hard for me totaly newbee to understand how to creat mobipocket file. When im extracting chm file into html there are a lot of directories and a lot of html files. In tutorial book is very simple and my file for me is to difficult
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanas View Post
its very hard for me totaly newbee to understand how to creat mobipocket file. When im extracting chm file into html there are a lot of directories and a lot of html files. In tutorial book is very simple and my file for me is to difficult
Did importing the CHM directly via Windows MobiPocket Reader fail? What the Reader does internally is create the HTMLs and then converts them to MOBI, but the other tools that RWood mentioned may do a better job of getting to the HTML stage.

If I was using ABC Amber CHM Converter I would try either single file HTML or LIT output. Single file HTML should be easy to make into MOBI, except that the file is huge. LIT is also very easy to convert to MOBI, and this may be better if the conversion was done well by ABC. First "explode" the LIT, using ConvertLIT, into an OEB ebook (HTMLs, IMAGEs, and an .opf metadata file), then convert this to MOBI using MobiPocket Creator by giving it the .opf file. MOBI is a derivative of the OEB file format, and so works very well from expoded LITs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #7
romanas
Enthusiast

Thank you for your help. Its very useful for me. I dowloaded abc chm converter tiral version and converted chm into single html file. Now its simple to create mobi book using harryT tutorial. But again I have few problems...
1. I created prc file and it works on mobireader on my pc very vell with all hyperlinks from content list. But when i download it to iliad hyperlinks in content menu dont work. Where is the problem???
2. Is it possible to see content list as a tree in mobi files?
Old 09-21-2008, 05:54 AM   #8
genome2k
Enthusiast
genome2k began at the beginning.

Device: iRex ILIAD
This is an interesting topic.

I am also a physician like Romanas and I still need the Cecil Textbook of Medicine 23rd Ed which is in CHM format.
genome2k is offline   Reply With Quote