Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #211
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I have so painstakingly corrected my version directly in the HTML files from the information in this thread that I dare not update it from any website lest some stuff I have corrected is again wrong.
Grab a new version and if the ISBN is different, check all the mentioned errors in this thread. All but one should be gone. If so, keep the new copy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #212
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's not just that, its the formatting too. I have changed some formatting for instance indents, they are too far to the right for my taste ...
So I reduced them to suit my needs, as well as a few other formatting issues that I dealt with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Grab a new version and if the ISBN is different, check all the mentioned errors in this thread. All but one should be gone. If so, keep the new copy.

Last edited by Quexos; 06-12-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #213
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not just that, its the formatting too. I have changed some formatting for instance indents, they are too far ahead ...
kind of like this so I reduced it. As well as a few other formatting issues that I dealt with.
Given that it is the same book with a different ISBN (most likely), there is a chance that the CSS from your old copy could be used in place of the CSS in the new copy.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #214
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Quote:
What is the ISBN number of your edition? I just looked and there is that one error. The other occurrences of the word are not hyphenated.
ISBN-13: 9780061952876
Pub. Date: April 20, 2009
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers

Just seems to be that one instance of the word is locked down with a hard-coded hyphen.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #215
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
EPub Edition MARCH 2009 ISBN: 978-0-007-32259-6 <--unfixed
EPub Edition MARCH 2009 ISBN: 978-0-061-95287-6 <--fixed

That is odd that the ISBN would be different like that. Both are library copies.
They've swapped out the .lit for an eReader version, downloaded/freed it and...

EPub Edition MARCH 2009 ISBN: 978-0-007-32259-6

The unfixed version Checked through some of the errors listed in post 1, they're all present (the one's I checked anyway). So, no fixed ebook this way.

I'll have to fix it by alternative means
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #216
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I'll have to fix it by alternative means
See PM for alternative means.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #217
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I bought my copy some time back from WHSmiths and now that I Kobo has taken over from them in the UK as their ebook seller, I downloaded the copy that I now have available in my Kobo account (due to WHSmiths transfering my purchases over to them).

Lo and behold it appears to be the unfixed one. So it looks like Kobo this haven't changed it yet.

Bugger!
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #218
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
I have so painstakingly corrected my version directly in the HTML files from the information in this thread that I dare not update it from any website lest some stuff I have corrected is again wrong.
You could do something like a diff between the two HTML files to find out what was fixed/lost with the latest version. You could probably even create a patch file from that and take out any of the changes that undo your own fixes, then apply the patch to your HTML files.

Basically, take your personally corrected version and merge it with the latest update, keeping all of your changes intact. Any sort of CM tool that deals with HTML files could probably automate a lot of that.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #219
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I bought my copy some time back from WHSmiths and now that I Kobo has taken over from them in the UK as their ebook seller, I downloaded the copy that I now have available in my Kobo account (due to WHSmiths transfering my purchases over to them).

Lo and behold it appears to be the unfixed one. So it looks like Kobo this haven't changed it yet.

Bugger!
I'd suggest contacting Kobo CS and asking for the corrected version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #220
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd suggest contacting Kobo CS and asking for the corrected version.
Sounds like a plan. I hope they have a better copy, as I don't have much time to make the corrections myself.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #221
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Might depend on which version (IIRC Kobo sells two different ominbus versions). My copy from Kobo (sold by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) is the corrected version (minus the one hypen error mentioned above).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #222
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Anyone know if the amazon version is fixed?
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #223
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Anyone know if the amazon version is fixed?
Yes, it is. That's where I bought mine from.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #224
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you originally bought The Lord of the Rings from Amazon in Mobi, do you get a KF8 if you download it now using the latest Kindle for Windows? If you do get a KF8, are the images as good as they are in the ePub edition?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #225
John the Miner
Enthusiast
John the Miner began at the beginning.

Device: Eco e-reader
On one's other hand, one does get what one pays for, one supposes ...

Last edited by John the Miner; 06-15-2012 at 02:49 AM.
John the Miner is offline   Reply With Quote