Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Kobovox

Kobo is offering a 7" Android Tablet for $199.99

http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox

It has an 800 mhz processor and 7" AFFS+ screens. I don't know much about specs. but tell me what you think? thanks

Last edited by beckywc; 10-19-2011 at 02:13 PM.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
Kobo is offering a 7" Android Tablet for $199.99

http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox
I just saw that on Dear Author. It looks really good.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Less than half the CPU (Fire is dual core 1MHz). I think most people would notice that difference. Seems about the same specs as Nook Color has had for the last year, the only difference being retail price (and NC refurbs are only $179).

If you think you need SD expansion, I'd wait a bit for NC2 to show up. With any luck it will also be $200 and have dual core.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

The Kobo developers definitely have heart, but I don't think they have enough ability. I had the Kobo Touch for a few weeks before returning it. The developers tried their best to get it to a professional level as far as FW goes, but never did. I would expect many of the same shortcomings with this device. Also, Kobo does not have Amazon's store and services, so this device will be more of interest to those who love to jailbreak than to those who wish to simply use it as is out of the box. On that level then it will be similar in functionality to the NookColor.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The Kobo developers definitely have heart, but I don't think they have enough ability. I had the Kobo Touch for a few weeks before returning it. The developers tried their best to get it to a professional level as far as FW goes, but never did. I would expect many of the same shortcomings with this device. Also, Kobo does not have Amazon's store and services, so this device will be more of interest to those who love to jailbreak than to those who wish to simply use it as is out of the box. On that level then it will be similar in functionality to the NookColor.
It will be regular Android 2.3 so you don't have to worry about firmware problems. It wont need to be rooted unless you want google apps on it. It should load Amazon App store just fine and any apps you want to side load. There is no limitations other then not being officially approved for the Android Market.

The only real issue is quality and stability of the tablet. How well the screen responds and it doesn't freeze or crash.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert