Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2020, 04:31 AM   #76
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Hi Jackie,

Something ugly has happened with your lovely Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height patch. Either I'm doing something wrong or the patch is being funny. All I did was increase the font size (admittedly, it's a little too big now, but still), see attached images & code. Both with and without your Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area patch on, the first letter or part of the selected word is cut off in the pop-up box...

Spoiler:

Code:
Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: |
      This patch allows you to to customise the appearance of the text
      in the pop-up and full-screen dictionary widgets.
      4.17.13651: improved to also reduce the blank lines displayed in many
                  sideloaded custom dictionaries which contain <blockquote>.
      4.24.15672: enforced update to accommodate Kobo changes related to new
                  dictionaries being released Oct 1st 2020
      #
      See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3521137&postcount=48
      for screenshots
      You can change one or more of the following properties:
      - font-family
      - font-size
      - line-height
      #
      These are the Kobo defaults
                Glo - Georgia  23px  1.4em
                H2O - Georgia  29px  1.4em
              GloHD - Georgia  32px  1.4em
            AuraONE - Georgia  42px  1.4em

# Stage 1: Change DictionaryView to remove %variables
  # from:
  #   body { font: %1px %2; line-height: 1.4em; }
  #   span.word { font-weight: bold; font-size: 130%; margin-left: -%5px; }
  #   div.descriptionFont { font-family: %3; }
  #   ol { font-size: %1px; margin-left: %4em; margin-top: 0px; }
  #   ol p { font-size: %1px; }
  #   i, i * { font-style: italic; }
  #   b, b * { font-weight: bold; }
  #   .sc, .sc * { font-variant: small-caps; }
  #   .block, .border { border-radius: 3px; padding: 0em .2em; font-size: 90%; }
  # to:
  #   body {font-size:%1px; line-height:1.40em; font-family:Georgia                ;}
  #   ol {margin-left:.5em; margin-top:0}
  #   blockquote {margin:.3em 0 .3em 1em}
  #   blockquote>blockquote {margin:-.3em 0 0 2em}
  #   span.word {font-weight:bold; font-size:130%; margin-left:-.5em}
  #   i, i * {font-style:italic}
  #   b, b * {font-weight:bold}
  #   .sc, .sc * {font-variant:small-caps}
  #   .block, .border {border-radius:3px; padding:0 .2em; font-size:90%}

# ##### N.B. Do not change the next 4 lines #####
  - FindReplaceString:
      Find:    "body { font: %1px %2; line-height: 1.4em; }\nspan.word { font-weight: bold; font-size: 130%; margin-left: -%5px; }\ndiv.descriptionFont { font-family: %3; }\nol { font-size: %1px; margin-left: %4em; margin-top: 0px; }\nol p { font-size: %1px; }\ni, i * { font-style: italic; }\nb, b * { font-weight: bold; }\n.sc, .sc * { font-variant: small-caps; }\n.block, .border { border-radius: 3px; padding: 0em .2em; font-size: 90%; }\n"
      Replace: "body {font-size:%1px; line-height:1.40em; font-family:Georgia                  ;}\nol {margin-left:1em; margin-top:0}\nblockquote {margin:.3em 0 .3em 1em}\nblockquote>blockquote {margin:-.3em 0 0 2em}\nspan.word {font-weight:bold; font-size:130%; margin-left:-1em}\ni, i * {font-style:italic}\nb, b * {font-weight:bold}\n.sc, .sc * {font-variant:small-caps}\n.block, .border {border-radius:3px; padding:0 .2em; font-size:90%}\n"
      MustMatchLength: yes
  # ##### N.B. Do not change anything above this line #####

# Stage 2: N.B. You MUST keep old and new strings EXACTLY the same length

# Notes for changing font-family:
  #   1.  Pad the shorter of the old/new strings with spaces to
  #       keep same length for both strings (see examples below)
  #
  #   2.  If the new font-family name (max. 25 chars) contains any spaces it
  #       should be wrapped in 'single quotes' (see examples 2, 3)
  #
  #   3.  To change from Georgia to the Kobo default sans-serif font, Avenir,
  #       use either one of the following to achieve the same result:
  #       - sans-serif
  #       - 'Avenir Next Medium'

# Un-comment ONE ONLY of the following ReplaceString examples
  #   to change dictionary font-family from default Georgia:
  #     - to a different built-in font
  #     - to one of your sideloaded custom fonts

#- ReplaceString: {Offset: 54, Find: "Georgia   ", Replace: "sans-serif", MustMatchLength: yes}
  #- ReplaceString: {Offset: 54, Find: "Georgia    ", Replace: "'Gill Sans'", MustMatchLength: yes}
  #- ReplaceString: {Offset: 54, Find: "Georgia      ", Replace: "'Kobo Nickel'", MustMatchLength: yes}
  #- ReplaceString: {Offset: 54, Find: "Georgia ", Replace: "Bookerly", MustMatchLength: yes}

# Un-comment and edit next line to change font-size
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 16, Find: "%1px", Replace: "40px", MustMatchLength: yes}

# Un-comment and edit next line to change line spacing
  #- ReplaceString: {Offset: 34, Find: "1.40em", Replace: "1.30em", MustMatchLength: yes}
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 10.29.58.png
Views:	322
Size:	802.4 KB
ID:	183309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 10.30.06.png
Views:	323
Size:	799.2 KB
ID:	183310  

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 11-10-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #77
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Hi Jackie,

Something ugly has happened with your lovely Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height patch. Either I'm doing something wrong or the patch is being funny. All I did was increase the font size (admittedly, it's a little too big now, but still), see attached images & code. Both with and without your Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area patch on, the first letter or part of the selected word is cut off in the pop-up box...
The version of this patch contained in the current kobopatch pack is out-of-date because I had to update it after Kobo's new dictionaries were released on Oct 1st. See post #34 in this thread for more details on how to access the corrected version.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #78
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The version of this patch contained in the current kobopatch pack is out-of-date because I had to update it after Kobo's new dictionaries were released on Oct 1st. See post #34 in this thread for more details on how to access the corrected version.
Oh right! Sorry, I should have checked. Thank you!!
Old 11-10-2020, 06:36 PM   #79
florat
florat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Is there any way or any possibility of removing "Discover" from the bottom of the new home screen?
Another vote for that option
florat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:39 AM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by florat View Post
Another vote for that option
That won't happen with this firmware. Please ask for this for the new 4.25.x firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2020, 01:58 AM   #81
florat
florat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Oh, sure, thank you!
florat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:03 AM   #82
hermil
hermil began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hello everybody.

My Kobo Aura One runs the firmware 4.24.15676, and I’m trying to patch it.

I have followed the instructions on the first post of this thread, but nothing really seems to have happened in my Aura settings. I’m not sure about the instruction number 5: «Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate)»: what does that mean?

I guess something went wrong applying the varioius patches, since the Terminal window (I’m running Mac OS X) kept showing a list of “SKIP…”.

Can you help me please?
hermil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:31 AM   #83
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermil View Post
Hello everybody.

I have followed the instructions on the first post of this thread, but nothing really seems to have happened in my Aura settings. I’m not sure about the instruction number 5: «Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate)»: what does that mean?

I guess something went wrong applying the varioius patches, since the Terminal window (I’m running Mac OS X) kept showing a list of “SKIP…”.

Can you help me please?
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Ah well there isn't really anything going wrong... the only thing is you didn't follow step 5, like you said. All the patches are switched off by default. Step 5 is telling you to enable the patches that you want. There are two ways of doing that:

1. Inside the kobopatch_4.24.15676 folder (which contains the .sh file that you ran in the Terminal) is another folder named 'src'. This contains four files with the .yaml extension. Each of those files has the patches in. You need to go through all of these patches and choose which you want to enable. (You can open the .yaml files in a basic text editor. TextEdit will do, but I use Wrangler [also Mac OS] as it highlights the code in a handy way.) For instance, in the libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml file, the first patch is called My 10 line spacing values: and the next line says - Enabled: no. If you want to enable it, you change that next line to - Enabled: yes. Once you've done that to all the patches you want to enable, you save the file, and run the kobopatch.sh file in Terminal again.

If you choose option 1, you'll have to do the above all over again when you update your firmware and use the new patches...

2. To prevent having to do number 1 all over again when a new firmware version arrives, you can use a separate file to enable/disable all the patches you choose to use instead of editing the files inside the src folder (as explained in option 1 above). This will be lots of work now, but like I said, it will save you lots of time in the future. Next to the .sh file that you ran in the Terminal, there's a file called kobopatch.yaml. Open it in your basic text editor and you will see a few lines that say:
Code:
overrides:
  src/nickel.yaml:
  src/libadobe.so.yaml:
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:  
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml:
These refer to the files inside the src folder that you would edit if you'd follow number 1. You can enter line breaks, and add the titles of all the patches you want to enable, under the corresponding file name. Then add "yes" or "no" to enable/disable them. For instance:
Code:
overrides:
  src/nickel.yaml:
  src/libadobe.so.yaml:
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:  
    My 10 line spacing values: yes #add some text behind a hash to remind yourself what this is
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml:
Make sure there are 4 spaces before the line with the title of the patch (not a tab indent).

When you're done adding all the titles of the patches you want in the kobopatch.yaml file, save the file, and run the .sh file in Terminal like you did, and follow the rest of the steps in the first post.

I hope that clarifies! Good luck

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 11-21-2020 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #84
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Quote:
Hello everybody.

Can you help me please?
4.25 is the newest firmware, FWIW
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #85
hermil
hermil began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Dear Mrs_Often,
I followed your instructions and everything worked fine.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and your help.

You saved my day!
hermil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Dear Mrs_Often,

You saved my day!
You've actually made a mistake here and patched the 4.24.15676 when you should have done 4.25.15875.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334722
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #87
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You've actually made a mistake here and patched the 4.24.15676 when you should have done 4.25.15875.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334722
Jon, the thread between @hermil and @Mrs_Often regarding patching 4.24.15676 in the thread for patching 4.24.15676 was not a mistake. Her response allowed @hermil to patch his existing firmware. If and/or when @hermil decides to update to 4.25.15875, that is his choice.

What @kobayashi posted as a reminder that there is a new firmware revision is all that was needed, IMNSHO.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:14 AM   #88
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Dear Mrs_Often,

You saved my day!
You’re welcome! Glad I could help.

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching