Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2022, 05:36 PM   #1
iandol
Enthusiast
iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Question Converting on-device EPubs to Kepubs but keeping their Calibre links?

I have a Kobo Nia, and have used Calibre to sync about 100 EPubs onto the Nia, a workflow that works amazingly well (Calibre really is wonderful!).

I saw this great tool: https://pgaskin.net/kepubify/ which does super fast conversion of EPubs to Kepubs. I do NOT want to convert the original EPubs on my desktop machine, but want to convert the EPubs on the Nia. I have tried to use

Code:
kepubify --update --inplace 'MyBook.epub'
Which creates a MyBook.kepub.epub. BUT this breaks the link back to the Calibre library. I tried to edit the calibre metadata file that is on the device to now point to the new file, but Calibre still seems to have forgotten the book when reconnected. I am completely new to this all and just wondered:
  1. If I just rename 'MyBook.kepub.epub' to 'MyBook.epub' on the device, will the kobo still use the "enhanced" kepub engine (I realise it is an internal format difference, but don't know what heuristic kobo software uses, maybe it is dumb and uses filename?).
  2. How can I tell if the kobo is in kepub vs epub reading mode?
  3. Do kepubs also benefit other readers like KOReader?

And finally, a massive thank you to Patrick Gaskin for this tool, and also NickelMenu and the patching system, it is all very cool!!!
iandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:52 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandol View Post
1. If I just rename 'MyBook.kepub.epub' to 'MyBook.epub' on the device, will the kobo still use the "enhanced" kepub engine (I realise it is an internal format difference, but don't know what heuristic kobo software uses, maybe it is dumb and uses filename?).
The .kepub.epub and .epub extensions are used to decide which renderer to use. .epub uses the Adobe RMSDK renderer while .kepub.epub uses a webkit based renderer. Basically, you need to know which renderer to use before opening the ebook and the filename makes for very simple and fast code.

Quote:
2. How can I tell if the kobo is in kepub vs epub reading mode?
If you look in the library view, you'll see EPUB or KOBO EPUB. When reading, if you tap the middle of the screen, you'll notice a bar graph looking icon between the As and gear wheel icons. If you tap on an image, you'll get the 4 headed arrow to allow zooming, rotating, etc. the image. I've found that to be of little use since very few images in commercial ebooks have the resolution to make it worth zooming the image. I also prefer the RMSDK's font handling but that is likely only of interest to my fellow typography geeks.

Quote:
3. Do kepubs also benefit other readers like KOReader?
The basic change in kepubs are not visible in other renderers so you would see no difference in how KOReader rendered the ebook.[/LIST]

Last edited by DNSB; 02-22-2022 at 11:55 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:59 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
If you add the KoboTouchExtended plug-in to Calibre, when you send books to the Nia, it will convert them from ePub to kepub as it transfers them. So you will have epub in your Calibre library, but will have kepub on your Nia.

This won't work for books you have already sent, though you can delete them from the Nia and send them again.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:53 AM   #4
iandol
Enthusiast
iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many thanks to both of you for your helpful and informative responses!

@DNSB — I would certainly consider myself part of typography geekdom; I have installed my favorite book font, Dolly Pro from the Underware Type foundry, which works quite well on the Nia's screen. There are many things I still don't quite understand: (1) What advantages does the EPub render offer typographically? (2) On my desktop I tend to stick to OTF, but is there any disadvantage to OTF on device? (3) Standard ligatures are enabled as far as I can tell, but is there a mechanism to enable discretionary ligatures or other opentype features (I assume this has to be a patch of some sort)?

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2022, 05:53 AM   #5
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
With Kobe ereader there are no ligatures for Kepub so I use Epub when there aren't images or notes. Otherwise I use Kepub. This is reason why with kepub I use fonts that fit good also without ligatures like Bitter, Lexia Dama or Roboto Serif. Or I read them with Koreader so I have great typography, the choice of sharpness of fonts, pop up notes and images enlargement (and many other features).

About otf fonts: if You use the patch "Enable advanced settings for all fonts" it works only with ttf font with Epub, it doesn't work with otf fonts.

I don't know any way to have discretionary ligatures but using css:

Code:
font-variant: discretionary-ligatures
I don't know if it works with epub in Kobo (may be epub 3?) It should work with Koreader.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:08 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Standard ligatures are enabled as far as I can tell, but is there a mechanism to enable discretionary ligatures or other opentype features (I assume this has to be a patch of some sort)?
By default, kepub does not display ligatures. There is a patch you can use to enable ligatures on kepub. Enabling ligatures in kepub does mess with spacing. Installing JSWolf's Better Hyphenation dictionary can help there.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 04:49 AM   #7
iandol
Enthusiast

Thanks to both of you. Understanding the trade-offs I think I'll generally stick to EPubs for the moment (I don't use any of the things kepubs are better for, so it is only a general performance improvement that I can apply selectively).

Given the possible downsides with patch support for OTF, I converted my OTF fonts to TTF (using https://github.com/shermp/ReadifyFont.git), merci!

Thanks for the feedback and knowledge shared!

Tags
calibre, epub, kepub, kepubify, nia