Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
nnf
nnf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600 :)
Smile Sony PRS-505 in Canada? Or still available *somewhere* ?

Hi!

This is my first post, but I have been lurking around for a few weeks! I decided to ask for help today, because I really, really want a reader and I'm tired of waiting!!!

Basically, I have compared most of the readers, and have come to the conclusion that the PRS-505 would be the best product for me. However, I live in Quebec, where stores have yet to sell any kind of reader whatsoever...

I was wondering if any of you knew where I could find one? I tried ebay, but the 505s I found were expensive... I heard about the 70$ sale at Target, and even emailed them about it, but they ran out on target.com, and they are not able to see what brick and mortar stores have in stock... does anyone know if they still have any, somewhere in the US? Somewhere in Florida would be really convenient as I have family going in the next few days... so if any of you have any information, please let me know!

I'm aware this is probably an impossible request... my choice isn't set in stone, so if you have any suggestions to make, go ahead I just know I don't want a kindle. Oh, and my budget is about 250$, but the cheaper, the better!

Thanks for your time
nnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
got mine on ebay, (Target stock) new, sealed... $228 shipped.
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Kitty Servant
Kitty Servant began at the beginning.

Device: psr-505
nnf,

I've been lurking for months, but signed up so I could reply! It would be a physical purchase, but when I was in Niagara (Canadian side) last month, they had 505s at the Sony Store there. They may also still have some at aeroplan.com if you have enough air miles to exchange for one.
Kitty Servant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
nnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Servant View Post
nnf,

I've been lurking for months, but signed up so I could reply! It would be a physical purchase, but when I was in Niagara (Canadian side) last month, they had 505s at the Sony Store there. They may also still have some at aeroplan.com if you have enough air miles to exchange for one.
Oh, thank you! Do you remember how much they went for at the Sony Store? I hope it's cheaper than Target (found some in stock in FL, but don't know the price yet, will call tomorrow) ! As for aeroplan, it's a great idea... not sure my parents will want to spend their miles on a reader though... it's ridiculously expensive (41 000 miles or 820$ ..... yikes ) !

And hodad66, thanks for the idea, but I'd rather avoid ebay if I can... it's been a pain in the butt lately for a few people around me.... and last time I checked, with shipping and all those extra fees since I live in Canada, it's really not worth it
Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #5
Kitty Servant
Kitty Servant began at the beginning.

Device: psr-505
I think it was $289 plus tax. They only had the silver ones.

I got my reader last month with my Aeroplan points since I wasn't going to use them for anything else soon. I'm not completely sure, but I think the value of points is around 0.8 cents per point for merchandise, which works out to about $330 dollars--which isn't that bad... Shipping is included in the price.

The Sony Store outlet info is here:
http://www.canadaoneoutlets.com/stor...ils.asp?sid=43

Good luck. By the way, I'm really happy with my 505 so far, especially since I got it (sorta) free!!

Last edited by Kitty Servant; 11-10-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Kitty Servant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
JanuaryF
Connoisseur
JanuaryF began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
Hi,

I've been wanting a 505 as well, and being in Canada I was thrilled that they hadn't been discontinued yet. Well, last week I called my local sony store, and they have indeed been discontinued in Canada. :-( Ebay does have them, and since you don't have to pay taxes on it, as long as its around the $330 mark, you aren't paying more than you would have at the store...

Jan
JanuaryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/produ....php?pid=55522

I believe this store is in Ottawa. I ordered my reader from them and didn't have any problems. The price is 275, it might be worth you looking into.

Best of luck
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
It looks like staples.ca still has the red and silver 505 for CDN $ 299.99.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
nnf

Thanks for your help everyone, still looking... I know future shop has it too, but I might wait for Xmas sales, there are usually some nice discounts around that time of the year.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Well, be careful. I had the same plan for the 505 I will give my dad for Xmas, and all of a sudden in one week they were all gone. In the end I had to buy one on ebay, and it was not cheap....

I'll cross my fingers for you then !
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
My girlfriend just got hers from Staples, same price as mentioned above
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I ordered my 505 from shoprbc.com for $275, but It no longer seems to be listed on their website. It might be worth it to call them, just in case they still have a few left in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnf View Post
However, I live in Quebec, where stores have yet to sell any kind of reader whatsoever...
You should be able to find 300's and 600's in any SonyStyle store across Quebec.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome to MR nnf!

Montreal Alouettes 56....British Columbia Lions 18
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #14
PcTc
PcTc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just bought my 505 from staples.ca ... Only the red one is available, they are selling $259.97 on the internet. There are also coupon code on the internet as well. So it could be cheaper when you use coupon code.
PcTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #15
nnf

Thanks for your comments everyone, yay Alouettes, it was a great game too

Sonystyle here did have them (300 and 600) when I went today. Hadn't had time to go before so I just assumed we didn't have them, hehe, oops.

Anyway, I played around with them and find that the 600 is better for me size-wise, but I don't like how it's a little blurry. I find the 300 too small for my liking.

Shoprbc and staples are out of the 505! FS still has them, although I'm growing undecided now. Sort of considering the international kindle.

Maybe I should just wait after the holidays, and see what comes out next... seems like no reader feels exactly *right*.

Tags
prs-505